The Student Room Group

How easy is it to locum in London for F3 year?

Hi all,

How competitive are locum jobs in the capital for a doctor in F3 year?

Does having done F1/F2 years in London influence the likelihood of getting a F3 job in London?

Thanks.
I've worked in 4 hospitals in London, mixture of Dgh and tertiary centres. Even 5 years back locums were needed in medical jobs The rota situation is far worse now and I would guess finding a job in medicine, surgery or ED would be pretty easy - long or short term. Just having a gmc number is probably enough in some places.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply! Just to confirm will be not having worked in London for F1 and F2 make any difference to working in London as a locum F3 year?
Reply 3
The advantage that local trainees will have is that they will know the depts they have worked in, and may be more likely to get shifts via staff bank before they get put out to agency. But among agency locums I can't imagine it'd make a difference.
Pay is less in London and they might not be quite as desperate as elsewhere. I can't imagine it will be hard though. I guess it depends what you expect - random A&E nights in a DGH will be quite different to trying to get a regular 8 month job in neurosurgery or something.
Original post by nexttime
Pay is less in London and they might not be quite as desperate as elsewhere. I can't imagine it will be hard though. I guess it depends what you expect - random A&E nights in a DGH will be quite different to trying to get a regular 8 month job in neurosurgery or something.

Yeah maybe easier in the KSS regions these are sometimes difficult to recruit to but to be honest even big tertiary centres in London especially for medical specialties rely on locums and clinical Fellows these days. Depends when you apply too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending