The Student Room Group

too late to drop gcse art?

GCSE art is hell on earth. There is so much coursework that my grades are dropping massively in my other subjects -I flopped half my mocks-because I have to focus so much on art. Not only that, despite my spending countless hours on it at the end of my unit 1 I only got a 6. (I know a 6 is by no means a bad grade but for the amount of work & effort I put in my sketchbook I am super disappointed). I’ve found that I have so little time for revision because of art and it’s only 3 months till GCSEs.

Does anyone know if a school would let you drop a GCSE this late into year 11?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Have you confirmed your exams on that piece of paper with all your info on?
Reply 2
Original post by nhe9
Have you confirmed your exams on that piece of paper with all your info on?

Well I got my exam timetable last week so I guess so.
Reply 3
Well if your that serious you should probs just ask
Tbh I think you are going to have to prioritize which I understand is hard especially if you want to do well in all your subjects. Remember the examiner is going to re-check your coursework....don't let a grade 6 dishearten you...keep working hard ...u will get the grade you want eventually. (btw i'm in year 11 too and have picked gcse art) (God Save Us)
BTW what grades are you aiming for in your gcse subjects?
Reply 6
Original post by Zoeyyyyyyyy
Tbh I think you are going to have to prioritize which I understand is hard especially if you want to do well in all your subjects. Remember the examiner is going to re-check your coursework....don't let a grade 6 dishearten you...keep working hard ...u will get the grade you want eventually. (btw i'm in year 11 too and have picked gcse art) (God Save Us)

Yeah I hope so, every day I ask myself I I took this godforsaken subject in the first place 😂
Reply 7
BTW what grades are you aiming for in your gcse subjects?

Well I’m predicted 8s in everything but I’m pretty unlikely to get that so personally I’m aiming for 7s.
Original post by hadifer
Yeah I hope so, every day I ask myself I I took this godforsaken subject in the first place 😂

Lol same....
Original post by hadifer
Well I’m predicted 8s in everything but I’m pretty unlikely to get that so personally I’m aiming for 7s.

If your predicted that you should at least try to aim for it....(at least in some)....I'm you will get them!
*I'm sure you will get them.
Reply 11
Lol same....

Theres more hw in art then all other subjects combined, it truly sucks.
Reply 12
If your predicted that you should at least try to aim for it....(at least in some)....I'm you will get them!

Aw thank you!! What are you hoping for in the summer?
Hi, I'm doing GCSE Art as well :smile:

I got a grade 6 for my first project at first and I felt horrible because I had spent so much time and effort in it. Then my mum was also really annoyed so she wrote an email to the teacher, who remarked it with the help of a teacher who is an AQA moderator, and it actually turned out to be a 7.

Also, I think it's probably too late for you to drop it now :frown: sorry to say that. But don't worry; you can do a lot better in the other components and bring your grade up, and it could also be brought up when it's moderated.
Grade 7 and 8's
Reply 15
Original post by DaQuestioner
Hi, I'm doing GCSE Art as well :smile:

I got a grade 6 for my first project at first and I felt horrible because I had spent so much time and effort in it. Then my mum was also really annoyed so she wrote an email to the teacher, who remarked it with the help of a teacher who is an AQA moderator, and it actually turned out to be a 7.

Also, I think it's probably too late for you to drop it now :frown: sorry to say that. But don't worry; you can do a lot better in the other components and bring your grade up, and it could also be brought up when it's moderated.

woah thats great!! I am planning to ask for it to get remarked, is it hard?
Reply 16
Grade 7 and 8's

Nice!!
I'm doing fine art aqa and I chose natural forms...it's rly stressing me out cuz I don't know how to make a final piece for it that will somehow link to human form becuz that's what I'm best at...I've spent this holidays focusing solely on art and haven't even revised anything even tho I have mocks in 3 weeks...

Not even kidding last night I had a dream that tomorrow was the history exam and I hadn't revised for it at all even tho it's my worst subject 😢 (I got a lvl 4 -almost a 3- in my last mock even tho I'm predicted lvl 6)
Reply 18
Original post by Zabidoo
I'm doing fine art aqa and I chose natural forms...it's rly stressing me out cuz I don't know how to make a final piece for it that will somehow link to human form becuz that's what I'm best at...I've spent this holidays focusing solely on art and haven't even revised anything even tho I have mocks in 3 weeks...

Not even kidding last night I had a dream that tomorrow was the history exam and I hadn't revised for it at all even tho it's my worst subject 😢 (I got a lvl 4 -almost a 3- in my last mock even tho I'm predicted lvl 6)

maybe step away from art for a bit? as I found out from my mocks in december you'll get a lot more out of the other 10 subjects you're doing with a lot less effort. I did quite well in my history mock and I'd be more than happy to help you if you'd like?
Original post by hadifer
woah thats great!! I am planning to ask for it to get remarked, is it hard?

Are you doing AQA? If you are, then the exam board will moderate all coursework in May/June (they'll come look at everyone's work in the schools) and make any amendments to grades if required. I'm not sure about other exam boards, but I would expect them to be doing this as well.

Quick Reply

Latest