The Student Room Group

Engineering: Entry To Scottish Universities

I have been trying to decide between Engineering and Medicine for a while now and I find myself leaning more toward Engineering, something along the lines of (but not limited to) Electronic or Software Engineering. My concern though is that my subjects are more geared towards medicine and I didn’t take Higher Physics this year. I’m currently in S5 doing Higher English, Math, Biology, Chemistry and RMPS, predicted all As. Most of my work experience are also medical related and I don’t have much engineering work experience.

My question is do you think I would have a chance of getting into a course similar to what I mentioned above if I take the following subjects next year: Advance Higher Math and Chemistry, Higher Physics and crash Higher Computing Science (or Graphic Communication?). I also found that Open University YASS has a module called “Engineering: origins, methods, context” so would doing that be useful or not? Also, as I don’t really have much work experience, I was thinking of doing one of the Headstart courses for Electronic Engineering ran by etrust so is that something that you think will strengthen my application? Any form of advice would be greatly appreciated.
They only ask for higher physics so you'll be fine for that.

Don't worry about needing to enhance your application, engineering really isn't that competitive, get the grades and you're set to go. If you want to do something then pick up an arduino, build an RC car, etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Helloworld_95
They only ask for higher physics so you'll be fine for that.

Don't worry about needing to enhance your application, engineering really isn't that competitive, get the grades and you're set to go. If you want to do something then pick up an arduino, build an RC car, etc.

Okay, thank you for replying. I was just worried about it because a lot of the other people in my school who are going into engineering are taking both advance higher physics and math and also went to the engineering-related work experiences offered at my school so I didn’t know if I’d be at quite a disadvantage for only having higher Physics and not having much work experience.
Reply 3
About work experience, do u think its better to take an year in industry from the university or one offered by an external company??
Original post by cammy.
Okay, thank you for replying. I was just worried about it because a lot of the other people in my school who are going into engineering are taking both advance higher physics and math and also went to the engineering-related work experiences offered at my school so I didn’t know if I’d be at quite a disadvantage for only having higher Physics and not having much work experience.

Yeah, don't worry about it, your school is just trying to make themselves look good, and naturally people who are inclined towards engineering etc. are more likely to take maths and physics to advanced highers.
Original post by EGLOOOO
About work experience, do u think its better to take an year in industry from the university or one offered by an external company??

An external company, definitely. The exception would be if you were at a very well known group with strong links to industry if not actually industry e.g. the AMRC or SSTL.
Reply 6
Original post by EGLOOOO

You don't need work experience before starting an Engineering degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Yeah, don't worry about it, your school is just trying to make themselves look good, and naturally people who are inclined towards engineering etc. are more likely to take maths and physics to advanced highers.

I haven’t finished it just yet but do you think I could mention in my personal statement about teaching myself how to code on freecodecamp where you can also gain experience by coding for non-profit organisations and also building a PC? Or are those just side hobbies that aren’t worth mentioning in the application?
Original post by cammy.
I haven’t finished it just yet but do you think I could mention in my personal statement about teaching myself how to code on freecodecamp where you can also gain experience by coding for non-profit organisations and also building a PC? Or are those just side hobbies that aren’t worth mentioning in the application?

Yes, those kinds of things are absolutely perfect.
Reply 9
Yes, those kinds of things are absolutely perfect.

Thank you for replying to my questions! I found your responses very helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending