The Student Room Group

SFE only fund 2 of my 3 year course

Hi all,

I know possibly there is a thread similar to mine but every each circumstance is particularly, so would like to get some help from you.

Two years ago I was studying Business and Tourism, I got that year funded by SFE.

After foundation year completed, i realise that the course was not for me, and wanted to follow environmental biology related course. So, I did a bit of research and realise that most of biological courses asked for A-levels of Biology and Chemistry.

The few Universities in London holding that related courses was ICL and Royal Holloway.
Just now I found out the ICL do not take foundation years, so option scratched.

Alternatively, also looked into Royal Holloway as a great option, but they didn't have any foundation year available, so I decide to go in a Biological Sciences Extended Degree (4 years) in London Met, complete the foundation and be able to apply to RHUL.

Last year when spoke to SFE, they said would accept fully my transfer because I still could use my remaining 4years of finance to fund the course.

At this moment, I have 2 years of studies funded, and I was calling to SFE to ask about my transfer to a Biology course (3 years) in September 2019 and the solutions they gave me to be able changing course is:
- only 2 years out of 3 funded;
- or need to change to a 4 year biology course (foundation included), and migrate to Year 1.

I thought I could still use my 3 years of funding, and carry on the studies. After all, I just put 1 year away.

Was my first idea to do this foundation year so I could move into a better path.

Please would like to ask you for some help, advices, ideas.

Really appreciate your help and time reading this.

Vitor
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by vferreira
Hi all,

I know possibly there is a thread similar to mine but every each circumstance is particularly, so would like to get some help from you.

Two years ago I was studying Business and Tourism, I got that year funded by SFE.

After foundation year completed, i realise that the course was not for me, and wanted to follow environmental biology related course. So, I did a bit of research and realise that most of biological courses asked for A-levels of Biology and Chemistry.

The few Universities in London holding that related courses was ICL and Royal Holloway.
Just now I found out the ICL do not take foundation years, so option scratched.

Alternatively, also looked into Royal Holloway as a great option, but they didn't have any foundation year available, so I decide to go in a Biological Sciences Extended Degree (4 years) in London Met, complete the foundation and be able to apply to RHUL.

Last year when spoke to SFE, they said would accept fully my transfer because I still could use my remaining 4years of finance to fund the course.

At this moment, I have 2 years of studies funded, and I was calling to SFE to ask about my transfer to a Biology course (3 years) in September 2019 and the solutions they gave me to be able changing course is:
- only 2 years out of 3 funded;
- or need to change to a 4 year biology course (foundation included), and migrate to Year 1.

I thought I could still use my 3 years of funding, and carry on the studies. After all, I just put 1 year away.

Was my first idea to do this foundation year so I could move into a better path.

Please would like to ask you for some help, advices, ideas.

Really appreciate your help and time reading this.

Vitor

Shame you didnt post 2 years ago. as youve got yourself in a bit of a pickle and part of its because you dont understand the system.

1. You get degree length +1 funding for a degree. Its a formula and not a fixed number of years.
2. When you decided to do your foundation you used up the +1 gift year, which was a waste. But thats what the gift year is for. False start.
3 Funding is then degree length +0
4. You then change your mind for Environmental Biology.
5. Unfortunately you decided to take the short cut and o for foundation again.
6. Your degree funding goes to degree length -1.
7. You then try to start the RHUL degree m but as its degree length -1 they will only pay fees from year 2 onwards.
8. The advice given by SFE was correct and good.
9. You dont have 3 years of funding as it doesnt work that 1hat way and you have used 1 for the original foundation year and another for the one at London met. That is where you misled yourself.
10 What you should have done is use FE funding to do A levels or more likely a 1 year access to HE diploma which can be used instead of A levels to get you into uni and is not included in the SFE HE funding. That would then have left you with funding for a full degree length from year 1.
It was avoidable.

As there doesnt appear to be anything physically or mentally wrong with you [ compelling personal reason claim[ then your options are limited and what sfe said. Pay year 1 fees yourself or find a uni with a 4 year course including foundation that will let you enrol on the course and enter from year 1. That bypasses the lack of funding issue.

You can look for such courses here.

https://digital.ucas.com/search/results?SearchText=biology+foundation&SubjectText=&SubjectText=&ProviderText=&ProviderText=&AutoSuggestType=&SearchType=&SortOrder=ProviderAtoZ&PreviouslyAppliedFilters=S_0_Biology__S_1_Biological+sciences__&AcademicYearId=2019&ClearingOptOut=False&vacancy-rb=rba&filters=Destination_Undergraduate&filters=Subject_Biology-P-Science&filters=Subject_Biological+sciences-P-Science&filters=QualificationMapped_Bachelor+degrees+(with+or+without+Honours)&UcasTariffPointsMin=0&UcasTariffPointsMax=144%2b&DistanceFromPostcode=1mi&RegionDistancePostcode=&CurrentView=Provider&__RequestVerificationToken=utJMvqpd8k6IMG69DkKJgzjqHFSm4Wmn_9DNImmpgIODrmYQcRzhVJcHHeWrlgOKMxtZcVhUsLA5iCAMNcg4Gm01j7i2Zk8Wbh_NfSkoNcU1&pageNumber=2
Reply 2
Yes definitely I got it all upside down! Now I can see the mess I am in! Many thanks for that clear information, no reasons to complaint!

Going to have a look at few courses around to see if have any other options to change for a 4 year course.

But, in the case I take the 3year can I still get maintenance loan or grand? Will I get it in full? How it works?
(edited 5 years ago)
Yes definitely I got it all upside down! Now I can see the mess I am in! Many thanks for that clear information, no reasons to complaint!

Going to have a look at few courses around to see if have any other options to change for a 4 year course.

But, in the case I take the 3year can I still get maintenance loan or grand? Will I get it in full? How it works?

Hi there,

You will still get the Maintenance Loan, Supplementary Grants and Disabled Students' Allowances where applicable. You can also opt to study one of the exceptions courses where we would disregard your previous study. If you still want to study your course, there is also the option of switching your mode of study to part time as full time previous study years are disregarded when studying part time as long as you have not gained a qualification.

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 4
That is some good news!

Can you explain me better the part time/full time student? Did not get it?

Many thanks
That is some good news!

Can you explain me better the part time/full time student? Did not get it?

Many thanks

Hi,

If you have not gained a qualification from your previous study, you can switch your mode from full time to part time and get full funding. Full time previous study years are not taken into account when you start a new part time course.

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 6
Oh ok! Yes yes got it! Sorry!

Well 6 years to finish the course would be a lot!

Once studying part time, do it need to finish it as part time student, or can I change to full time student maybe after 2 years? What would be the consequences? And what are options here?

Many thanks again,
Appreciate your time for answering :smile:

Once studying part time, do it need to finish it as part time student, or can I change to full time student maybe after 2 years? What would be the consequences? And what are options here?

Many thanks again,

You can study part time on an increased intensity. Part time study mode does not restrict how many credits/modules you can take. You can choose to finish earlier than the six years by increasing your intensity if your university allows this.

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 8
My situation is sort of similar to you. I studied CS (3 year degree ) and I completed years 1 and 2. However I failed second year. So I thought I could move universities and study 2nd year again. Turns out one of my modules in first year was condoned and that module was core. I remember trying to retake it but being told I can't if it is condoned since it was close to 40 marks. Idk what am meant to do.. It seems I can't go back to university unless I start from first year again and pay for the first year ? But I can't. I don't have the money to pay 9k. I talked to SFE last year in Sept when I got my marks back. And they said they can only fund years 2 and 3.
Reply 9

Many thanks again,

Maybe look at Open University too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Many thanks for that ideas.

I been speaking with SFE about my situation and it is confirmed that I need to self fund my first year, although I still eligible for the maintenance loan and grant, which can be a help.

Considering this I think I will need to apply for scholarships and bursary to get some extra help. Some bursaries states that my household income needs to be lower than 25k. Are the maintenance loans and grants countable for my household income? How do I do the maths for this calculations?

Many thanks,

Vitor
Reply 11
Considering this I think I will need to apply for scholarships and bursary to get some extra help. Some bursaries states that my household income needs to be lower than 25k. Are the maintenance loans and grants countable for my household income? How do I do the maths for this calculations?

No, a maintenance loan is not included in household income calculations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending