The Student Room Group

How does a student maintenance loan work if you study in London?

I have a household income of £16,000 and want to study Law at KCL. How much would I get in a student maintenance loan? I currently live in Northern Ireland. I have heard the loan calculator is inaccurate.
Reply 1
Original post by Brendan0686
I have a household income of £16,000 and want to study Law at KCL. How much would I get in a student maintenance loan? I currently live in Northern Ireland. I have heard the loan calculator is inaccurate.

The loan calculator is accurate in most cases.

You would get the maximum maintenance loan (approx £11k) and may qualify for a bursary from KCL too.
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/student-funding/scholarships-and-bursaries/2018-19/kings-living-bursary2018.aspx

Hi Brendan,

Are you applying to Student Finance Northern Ireland or England?

Regards,
Nihad
Original post by SFE Nihad
Hi Brendan,

Are you applying to Student Finance Northern Ireland or England?

Regards,
Nihad

I live in Northern Ireland but does it matter which one I apply to?
I live in Northern Ireland but does it matter which one I apply to?

Hi Brendan, if you are ordinarily resident in Northern Ireland then you would need to apply through Student Finance Northern Ireland. Thanks, Aaron.
Original post by SFE Aaron
Hi Brendan, if you are ordinarily resident in Northern Ireland then you would need to apply through Student Finance Northern Ireland. Thanks, Aaron.

How come you get less in NI? This says that you get £6k for London but England says you get £11k
Reply 6
How come you get less in NI? This says that you get £6k for London but England says you get £11k

You may also get a £3.5k grant, non repayable.

In addition KCL has bursaries for those on a low income.
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/student-funding/scholarships-and-bursaries/2018-19/kings-living-bursary2018.aspx

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending