The Student Room Group

I've got an offer - but not sure if I can get it.

I've got 3 offers for Mechanical engineering that I'm considering. 2 of them are AAA (Bristol and Edinburgh) and 1 of them is AAB (Manchester).

I think my most likely results will be AAB (B in physics). If I chose Edinburgh/Bristol as my first choice and got these results, how likely would it be that I'd still get a place.

I'd appreciate any information about this sort of thing. Cheers.
Original post by brandonk123
I've got 3 offers for Mechanical engineering that I'm considering. 2 of them are AAA (Bristol and Edinburgh) and 1 of them is AAB (Manchester).

I think my most likely results will be AAB (B in physics). If I chose Edinburgh/Bristol as my first choice and got these results, how likely would it be that I'd still get a place.

I'd appreciate any information about this sort of thing. Cheers.

No one really knows. It depends on whether they have spaces after they have accepted all those who meet their offers.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
No one really knows. It depends on whether they have spaces after they have accepted all those who meet their offers.

Yeah I understand that, just wondering how often it actually occurs and if anyone has had it happen to them. (:
Yeah I understand that, just wondering how often it actually occurs and if anyone has had it happen to them. (:

It happens to hundreds, if not thousands of students every year. Equally, hundreds get rejected by their first choice for not getting their grades.
Bristol is quite competitive as it is and if you think you might get a B in physics then being realistic, it makes your chances less likely.

What's your third subject?
I ask because sometimes a relevant subject combination can help to offset a missed grade, or very strong performance in your other subjects can help
with a missed grade in your other subject.

Considering Bristol's standard entry/offer is A*AA or AAB with a contextual offer then it still might be a bit of a push, especially considering in both cases they specifically mention they want at least an A in physics.

UoE seem to give applicants a wider range of offers - going from their website - so even if you were to get AAB I think you'd still have a strong chance of getting in since your grades would fall within this range.

Of course no-one can give you a definitive answer because it changes every year based on national performance, but we can try and give you our advice.
It honestly depends on the university, if it's a competitive university obviously the likelihood of securing a place is a lot smaller.

On the other hand I know a lot of universities accept quite a few that didn't meet the entry requirements but still got in (happened a lot with people at my uni this year)

For the sake of being specific, I got into an A*AA-course with AAA (plus A* epq) and there were ~1,500 applicants for 180 places so I think you should go for it and if you don't make it, it won't be the end of the world; going to your insurance isn't a massive deal.
Look carefully into the accommodation policy of your potential insurance option - some universities don't guarantee halls accommodation for first year students who selected that university as their insurance.

If accommodation is an important factor for you, it's something to consider.
Reply 8
Original post by JaredzzC
Bristol is quite competitive as it is and if you think you might get a B in physics then being realistic, it makes your chances less likely.

What's your third subject?
I ask because sometimes a relevant subject combination can help to offset a missed grade, or very strong performance in your other subjects can help
with a missed grade in your other subject.

Considering Bristol's standard entry/offer is A*AA or AAB with a contextual offer then it still might be a bit of a push, especially considering in both cases they specifically mention they want at least an A in physics.

UoE seem to give applicants a wider range of offers - going from their website - so even if you were to get AAB I think you'd still have a strong chance of getting in since your grades would fall within this range.

Of course no-one can give you a definitive answer because it changes every year based on national performance, but we can try and give you our advice.

I do maths, physics, economics. I had similar thoughts because Im aware of how competetive bristol is. Thanks for the info.
a lot of my friends missed their offers and still got in, it just depends on how many people apply to that course and things like that. you could try seeing if those courses were on clearing last year, that may suggest wether its a competitive course of if they are more flexible!
Original post by nintysixthousand
a lot of my friends missed their offers and still got in, it just depends on how many people apply to that course and things like that. you could try seeing if those courses were on clearing last year, that may suggest wether its a competitive course of if they are more flexible!

Where can you check if a course was on clearing? Thanks.
I do maths, physics, economics. I had similar thoughts because Im aware of how competetive bristol is. Thanks for the info.

With the third being economics then perhaps they won't be as lenient.

If you look here, according to which, the most popular grades for Mech.Eng at Bristol are A*A*A in Maths,F.Maths, & Physics: https://university.which.co.uk/university-of-bristol-b78/courses/mechanical-engineering-meng-hon-2019-fae61971fe4d

If you also have a look here, it shows the range of grades achieved by those on the Mech.Eng course at Bristol: https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/entry/10007786FT-4MECH010UU-201718/ReturnTo/Search

Here is the new tariff system for reference: https://www.google.com/search?q=new+ucas+tariff&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB811GB811&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiNkMHIwNHgAhXTUBUIHeKzCpAQ_AUIDigB&biw=1536&bih=754#imgrc=BSYF2PvZnrVkkM:

but with the lowest being 144-159, this means that an absolute minimum is equivalent to AAA in terms of points.
Original post by JaredzzC
With the third being economics then perhaps they won't be as lenient.

If you look here, according to which, the most popular grades for Mech.Eng at Bristol are A*A*A in Maths,F.Maths, & Physics: https://university.which.co.uk/university-of-bristol-b78/courses/mechanical-engineering-meng-hon-2019-fae61971fe4d

If you also have a look here, it shows the range of grades achieved by those on the Mech.Eng course at Bristol: https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/entry/10007786FT-4MECH010UU-201718/ReturnTo/Search

Here is the new tariff system for reference: https://www.google.com/search?q=new+ucas+tariff&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB811GB811&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiNkMHIwNHgAhXTUBUIHeKzCpAQ_AUIDigB&biw=1536&bih=754#imgrc=BSYF2PvZnrVkkM:

but with the lowest being 144-159, this means that an absolute minimum is equivalent to AAA in terms of points.

This is useful to know. Cheers (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending