The Student Room Group

Transgender males/females should be made to pay for their NHS treatment?

No, they shouldn’t. It is a fundamental serious form of body dysmorphia. Every transgender person has to undergo a long, extensive and gruellingly process of intense psychological evaluations. trans people do not have a specific mental health disorder native to transgenders. It’s nothing like wanting a nose job or facelift etc. These are people who look at themselves and see an outside that does not match who they actually are. Try to imagine how that must feel for them. One last thing, more people waste doctors, hospital resources and NHS funds on alcohol Poisoning and common cold complaints than trans gender realignment Surgery .

Scroll to see replies

yes they should, it's like plastic surgery. they don't like how their body is, so they want to change it. why should the NHS be paying for such things?
Reply 2
Original post by ArchangelGabriel
No, they shouldn’t. It is a fundamental serious form of body dysmorphia. Every transgender person has to undergo a long, extensive and gruellingly process of intense psychological evaluations. trans people do not have a specific mental health disorder native to transgenders. It’s nothing like wanting a nose job or facelift etc. These are people who look at themselves and see an outside that does not match who they actually are. Try to imagine how that must feel for them. One last thing, more people waste doctors, hospital resources and NHS funds on alcohol Poisoning and common cold complaints than trans gender realignment Surgery .

That process is for their own good, though. I support trans people but I see so many confused teenagers on my social media. Sometimes they change their gender/name like 3 times a year... Evaluations are a good thing, you need to be sure what you want, many of the changes hormones can do to you are irreversible.
Original post by Ciel.
That process is for their own good, though. I support trans people but I see so many confused teenagers on my social media. Sometimes they change their gender/name like 3 times a year... Evaluations are a good thing, you need to be sure what you want, many of the changes hormones can do to you are irreversible.

I do worry about hormones a bit. Natural hormones can be scary enough, but do we really know what impact the hormones have, especially if they are given to children who haven’t really finished growing.
Reply 4
Original post by YaliaV
I do worry about hormones a bit. Natural hormones can be scary enough, but do we really know what impact the hormones have, especially if they are given to children who haven’t really finished growing.

I think children can only get hormone blockers, though. They only get actual hormones when they are teenagers. Not 100% sure on that, though.
They definitely should be paying ,there other people who really need the NHS for serious health problems and then you have trans people who need the nhs because they don’t like how there body is.that is like having a person who doesn’t like how there nose is and wants a nose job.why do they have to pay out of there own pockets when trans people have the NHS paying for them ??
Reply 6
Original post by jamma blue
They definitely should be paying ,there other people who really need the NHS for serious health problems and then you have trans people who need the nhs because they don’t like how there body is.that is like having a person who doesn’t like how there nose is and wants a nose job.why do they have to pay out of there own pockets when trans people have the NHS paying for them ??

Ugh, no, it's not the same. Please educate yourself.
Reply 7
Yes, because its not really affecting their health and they can carry on as normal without it, therefore it shouldn't be paid for by the NHS. If they really want it then they can pay for it. People with life threatening diseases are refused treatment all the time because its too expensive, yet the NHS lets men wear skirts instead of saving a person's life.

How in the holy hell is someone wanting to change their gender to be who feel they are and to be comfortable in their own skin the same as someone who wants a nose job.
Reply 9
Original post by Pandii
No, because its not really affecting their health and they can carry on as normal without it, therefore it shouldn't be paid for by the NHS. If they really want it then they can pay for it. People with life threatening diseases are refused treatment all the time because its too expensive, yet the NHS lets men wear skirts instead of saving a person's life.

What about suicidal people? There's nothing wrong with their physical health. By your logic, they shouldn't get treatment either.
Reply 10
Yes they should. NHS is struggling with money as it is and have to pay for important things such as life threatening diseases. Trans surgery is optional and is a choice. Just like plastic surgery, they should pay for it. Don’t bum of the NHS please.
Original post by Ciel.
Ugh, no, it's not the same. Please educate yourself.

Explain how it is not the same before you make rude assumptions if you are so educated !
Original post by TheNamesBond.
How in the holy hell is someone wanting to change their gender to be who feel they are and to be comfortable in their own skin the same as someone who wants a nose job.

Someone wants a nose job to be comfortable in there body is the same as someone who wants a treatment to change there gender
Reply 13
Explain how it is not the same before you make rude assumptions if you are so educated !

Disliking the shape of your nose, and feeling like your entire body doesn't match your gender are two different things.
Reply 14
Original post by Ciel.
What about suicidal people? There's nothing wrong with their physical health. By your logic, they shouldn't get treatment either

Suicidal people have a health risk, and so should be treated. By all means if these transgender people are suicidal, they may have therapy. Having the wrong genitalia is not the same as being so low you want to end your life.
Original post by n2001
Yes they should. NHS is struggling with money as it is and have to pay for important things such as life threatening diseases. Trans surgery is optional and is a choice. Just like plastic surgery, they should pay for it. Don’t bum of the NHS please.

I agree !
Reply 16
Original post by Pandii
Suicidal people have a health risk, and so should be treated. By all means if these transgender people are suicidal, they may have therapy. Having the wrong genitalia is not the same as being so low you want to end your life.

Most transgender people have depression/anxiety due to dysphoria.
Reply 17
Original post by GoldenDog12
Are you stupid? Suicidal people, with the help of NHS can change serious problems in their lives but *******s are just making a big deal over nothing and expecting to get free treatment for being pathetic and trying to get attention

Go to bed. Also, reporting you. : )
[

Original post by Ciel.
Go to bed. Also, reporting you. : )

that's petty...
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Ciel.
Most transgender people have depression/anxiety due to dysphoria.

I'm all for taxpayer's money being used to prevent a suicidal life, but not to make a guy a girl when there are people with LIFE-THREATENING ILLNESSES out there being refused treatment to save their life.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending