The Student Room Group

How many Sketchbook pages for a minimum of an A in A Level Art?

Hi,

im at that stage where im working on my year 12 and 13 sketchbook, plus the externally assessed assignment and personal study. Im just really worried that i won't have enough content to get me an A? At the moment my year 12 sketchbook has a minimum of 35 A3 pages with a few accompanying paintings, but im trying to get it to around 50.

My year 13 sketchbook is still really low in content, with just about 20 A3 pages, and the externally assessed assignment im aiming for around 30 A3 pages.

Would that be enough? With each page i've showed the process and the reasoning behind it.
Original post by Natlad
Hi,

im at that stage where im working on my year 12 and 13 sketchbook, plus the externally assessed assignment and personal study. Im just really worried that i won't have enough content to get me an A? At the moment my year 12 sketchbook has a minimum of 35 A3 pages with a few accompanying paintings, but im trying to get it to around 50.

My year 13 sketchbook is still really low in content, with just about 20 A3 pages, and the externally assessed assignment im aiming for around 30 A3 pages.

Would that be enough? With each page i've showed the process and the reasoning behind it.

It certainly does sound like enough! Have you tried asking your teacher for advice? They'd probably be able to provide you with examples of past A-grade students.
Reply 2
Original post by kazzykat95
It certainly does sound like enough! Have you tried asking your teacher for advice? They'd probably be able to provide you with examples of past A-grade students.

Thanks! He's said 52 pages, but looking at people who have gotten A/A* from Art here, they've done fine with just 30-40 for each sketchbook.
Reply 3
Hiya,
I got an A* in my Art coursework and I have 39 pages in my A3 book, about 35 pages in my A4 summer book and a folder of A1 sheets from year 1, so I would say you don't need loads and loads to get the top grades; my teacher said to only include your best work so I would definitely say choose quality over quantity. Good luck - I hope you get your A :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by MelissaSJS
Hiya,
I got an A* in my Art coursework and I have 39 pages in my A3 book, about 35 pages in my A4 summer book and a folder of A1 sheets from year 1, so I would say you don't need loads and loads to get the top grades; my teacher said to only include your best work so I would definitely say choose quality over quantity. Good luck - I hope you get your A :smile:

Thanks so much for the reply!

I hope im not irritating by asking more, but im guessing...

The A1 sheets are from year 12? Roughly How many were there if you dont mind me asking?

Im assuming that the 39 pages A3 book was for year 13 - but what was the summer book for if thats not too annoying to ask?
Reply 5
Yeah so I did 39 pages (78 sides) in my A3 book. The A1 sheets are from my mock of the exam unit from year 12 - there were about 6 - plus about 13ish A2 pieces and some life drawing work.
The summer book is a project where you do experimentation in a little book - mine was A4 - over summer. Its just like an extended bit of the work o you put like sketches of places you go, artist studies from galleries you visit, any things you do for fun. Its just a good way to show extra experimentation! I don't know if all colleges do it but mine does so maybe check with your tutor. Good luck with everything!
Original post by Natlad
Thanks so much for the reply!

I hope im not irritating by asking more, but im guessing...

The A1 sheets are from year 12? Roughly How many were there if you dont mind me asking?

Im assuming that the 39 pages A3 book was for year 13 - but what was the summer book for if thats not too annoying to ask?
Original post by Natlad
Thanks! He's said 52 pages, but looking at people who have gotten A/A* from Art here, they've done fine with just 30-40 for each sketchbook.

Hey! How many pages did you end up finishing and what grade did you get ? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Sia Muffins
Hey! How many pages did you end up finishing and what grade did you get ? :smile:

Hey Sia! Aaa its been a second but i think i ended up with 38 ish, and i got an A* 🙂 Hope that helps!
Original post by Natlad
Hey Sia! Aaa its been a second but i think i ended up with 38 ish, and i got an A* 🙂 Hope that helps!

Haha wasn’t expecting a reply since it was a couple years ago but thank you! That’s incredible congratulations !! Was it 38 pages or 38 sides ?
Reply 9
Original post by Sia Muffins
Haha wasn’t expecting a reply since it was a couple years ago but thank you! That’s incredible congratulations !! Was it 38 pages or 38 sides ?

Haha i forgot i even had an account but always happy to help!! it was 38 pages thankfully :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest