The Student Room Group

Trip to Oxford

Any ideas what sights and things to do in Oxford
I believe there is a university there that might be worth seeing.

More seriously, the Ashmolean museum.
Reply 2
Original post by Simonthegreat

The view from the top of University Church of St Mary the Virgin
https://www.universitychurch.ox.ac.uk/content/tower-and-gift-shop

How long are you going for?

Hiring a punt is always worth a, er, punt...

PS. I've added a link from the University of Oxford forum in case any current/past students want to chip in :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by HedgePig
I believe there is a university there that might be worth seeing.

More seriously, the Ashmolean museum.

Yes the Ashmolean! Also, the new Westgate is really cool although it screams "CONSUMERISM!!!"
Take one of the sight-seeing buses, they're fun.
Yes see the colleges they are beautiful. Maybe take a walking tour. If you visit Broad Street, you can often find a tour guide on the hour, and it's relatively cheap.
CORNMARKET STREETif u like shopping. on it is the Clarendon Centre for more shopping. and of course Westgate is very close to Cornmarket, in Bonn Square
I live in Oxford and trust me, you will totally fall in love with it. Any more questions, just ask :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by ohdahnnyboi
Yes the Ashmolean! Also, the new Westgate is really cool although it screams "CONSUMERISM!!!"
Take one of the sight-seeing buses, they're fun.
Yes see the colleges they are beautiful. Maybe take a walking tour. If you visit Broad Street, you can often find a tour guide on the hour, and it's relatively cheap.
CORNMARKET STREETif u like shopping. on it is the Clarendon Centre for more shopping. and of course Westgate is very close to Cornmarket, in Bonn Square
I live in Oxford and trust me, you will totally fall in love with it. Any more questions, just ask :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

You are so lucky to be able to live there. Is it worth coming in the weekend or does it need to be when uni is on? What about the boat trips that look so quaint? Can you give me some advice there.
You are so lucky to be able to live there. Is it worth coming in the weekend or does it need to be when uni is on? What about the boat trips that look so quaint? Can you give me some advice there.

Yeah IKR :biggrin:
the university is currently in Lent term, and there are probably still classes and stuff on on weekends, so the experience is much the same. Also, bear in mind weekends are busier because it's the city centre. The city centre isn't the only place of interest however. Port Meadow in North Oxford, in Summertown is a short bus ride from the city and has the River Cherwell running through it.
As for the boat rides, I have never been on one (I KNOW :redface:!) but from what i've seen and heard they are definitely worth it. they look very nice. there are peak times etc. so do check that out first. idk if u have to book or whatever but yeah.
when are u planning to come and are u coming alone or with someone else? it's also worth checking buses from X to Y, etc. and blah. also some tours have to be booked, so check that out. but you will :heart: it :lol:
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I'm planning to spend 3 days in Oxford in May, so I'm keeping an eye on this thread :wink:

Personally, I plan to spend the whole first day just walking round the centre and seeing all the beautiful medieval buildings and colleges, as well as the beautiful streets and shops.

The second day I plan on visiting some of my favourite colleges (you have to pay admission for most of them), I was thinking Brasenose, New, Magdalen and Exeter. I'll also spend some time visiting the university parks/green spaces, having a picnic there etc.

The third day I want to explore quite a few of the residential streets, particularly northern Oxford, as that's where I'm going to end up living. I might then spend the remainder back in the centre of Oxford.

Why not plan to arrive on April 30th, so u can experience Mayday on Magdalen Bridge on May 1st. the choirboys sing from the tower and it is magical - it does mean waking up early tho :biggrin:
So jealous of you living there :angry: :lol: It must be an absolute dream :daydreaming:

It really is! I'm still in secondary school, but I plan to live here for as long as possible after my studies. If it weren't for the fact that Oxford University doesn't offer Architecture, I would never leave but I'll definitely come back :frown:
And yes - we're better than Cambridge!!!! I am firm in that belief :laugh:
It's such a perfect city:daydreaming: -expensive tho: you must know that we are apparently the most expensive city in the UK :teehee: can't help it; everyone wants to live here, it's so amazing :lol:
I’d love to, but unfortunately I have work. My plan was to go on a bank holiday weekend: get there late Friday evening and then have the whole of Saturday, Sunday and most of Monday.

However, I did watch the Mayday thing on an Oxford student’s university YouTube vlog :love:

Ah that's a shame :frown: - hopefully the vlog gave you a good sense of waht it's like :smile:
Sounds like a good plan :cool:
Work does tie one down :s-smilie::s-smilie::

Spoiler

I mean, I’m London born and bred so pretty much anywhere is cheaper than here. I knew Oxford was expensive, but surely it can’t be more than London?! :eek:

It is so perfect, you’re right. It’s big enough so as not to get bored, but still small enough to have a village feel and it has the countryside on its doorstep. Must be such an awesome place to raise kids and to grow up :heart: And it’s close to London so it’s convenient for me when I want to visit my siblings and parents.

Oh, I prefer it to Cambridge for sure :biggrin: My sister goes to Cambridge and I can’t deny, the place is stunning too, especially with the river, but it’s just too small. And it doesn’t have the same number of medieval, beautiful buildings as Oxford :love:

I guess so :laugh:
Exactly right! It's a city but it's not like London, which is so busy and bustling. It's got the right levels of sociability and comfort, definitely.
Also, it has good links with many other places, that's true. Apart from Cambridge, which they are now trying to rectify by planning a new expressway. Did they ever wonder why there wasn't one already? Because we don't want to be linked to Cambridge duh :rolleyes::laugh:
YES! When I last went there it was so dull: while Cambridge is a wannabe Oxford, Oxford is authentic. Cambridge is more of a university with a city, whereas Oxford is a city with a university. It has more life :lol: I totally agree - you are instantly my friend :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Going to have to get used to Cambridge tho as I'm probably going to end up going there lol :teehee:. The colleges are quite nice there I'll (reluctantly) admit, so it's nice. But never as nice as Oxford :laugh::heart:
I'm planning to spend 3 days in Oxford in May, so I'm keeping an eye on this thread :wink:

Personally, I plan to spend the whole first day just walking round the centre and seeing all the beautiful medieval buildings and colleges, as well as the beautiful streets and shops.

The second day I plan on visiting some of my favourite colleges (you have to pay admission for most of them), I was thinking Brasenose, New, Magdalen and Exeter. I'll also spend some time visiting the university parks/green spaces, having a picnic there etc.

The third day I want to explore quite a few of the residential streets, particularly northern Oxford, as that's where I'm going to end up living. I might then spend the remainder back in the centre of Oxford.

Most colleges don't charge an admission fee, actually.
There are many significant sites in Oxford in world history.

The Oxford Castle is a Norman castle and where The Empress Matilda, Holy Roman Empress, Queen of the Romans, Duchess of Normandy, Lady of the English hid during the Anarchy.

The Ashmolean Museum is the world's very first public museum.

The Museum of the History of Science was the site of the original Ashmolean Museum, and is the world's oldest purpose-built museum building. It also houses a blackboard used by Professor Albert Einstein before he fled to the United States of America.

The Norrington Room in the book shop nearby holds the world record for being the largest room in the world selling books.

Christ Church was founded by His Eminence The Cardinal of King Henry VIII before His Majesty's break from Rome. It also educated more than 10 British prime ministers, and is where Harry Potter was largely filmed.

St Michael's tower belongs to the City Church of Oxford, and is an Anglo-Saxon building. It's the oldest-surviving human structure in Oxford.

Magdalen College has educated many important people, including Oscar Wilde, and it has a deer park and a very nice tower.

Somerville College educated numerous people, including Baroness Thatcher, former prime minister.

Green Templeton College has the old observatory, modeled after the Tower of the Wind in Athens (it looks much better than the one in Athens and is a lot more impressive looking).

Worcester College has a lake.

Regent's Park College is the only former University of London college that breaks off and joined another university.

Trinity College has a very nice and big piece of grassland with very nice gates.

Exeter College (educated Professor Tolkien) is another one with very nice buildings, and a roof leading to a great view of the Radcliffe Camera. You can even find evidence of donation from former Peruvian president PPK.

St John's College is huge and has very nice grounds. It's also next to the memorial for the people executed in the religious Oxford Movement.

New College also has Harry Potter filmed in it.

King's Arms is a historic pub.

Keble College has a unique architectural style (and is a must see).

You may see people playing quidditch in the University Parks.

St Cross's College is small but once again, it's an extraordinary complex.

All Souls College is one that accepts only 2 students per year, and has a world-famous entrance exam. Its quad is also one of the nicest ones.

Brasenose College educated David Cameron among many others.

Lincoln College has an exquisite church.

Merton College is the oldest society that houses and teaches undergraduates, and its library is the oldest academic library in the world.

St Edmund Hall is the oldest surviving college at Oxford, and it's famous for its graveyard.

St Catherine's College has brilliant modern structures.

Linacre College is a small but intriguing building.

St Hugh's College is walled with beautiful buildings.

St Hilda's College is a nice place to be next to the river, and it's also close to the historic Magdalen College School.

South Park is where the bonfire and fireworks are at, and you can see the Oxford skyline from there.

The Port Meadle is good for a relaxing stroll, and it has cows.

Blackfriars' Hall possesses a wonderful Catholic church attended by The Lord Christopher Patten, Chancellor of Oxford, personal advisor to His Holiness the Pope, last governor of Hong Kong, former Conservative chairman, former Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster etc.

The Taylorian Institute is a library that looks marvellous on the inside.

The Old Bodleian Library is full of history, with each of the floor built following a historical event. It also houses the Hogwarts' library.

The Radcliffe Camera is the most iconic site at Oxford, and St Mary's the University Church is right in front of it.

Many nice shops on The High.

The covered market and Cornmarket Street too.

Punting on the river could take you past Wolfson College, an industrial-looking one.

Kellogg College, the Careers Service, Wyncliffe Hall, Norman Gardens are all close to each other and the whole area is very victorian. Professor Dawkins also lives there.

St Anne's College feels like a hotel resort with the lights and the little paths.

The Queen's College supported King Charles I during the English Civil War and you can see evidence of that there.

Corpus Christi College doesn't have a front quad, but they have an obelisk.

St Edward's School has Oxford's second-largest quad (behind Christ Church's).

Oriel College has fantastic buildings but it's most known for having the Prime Minister Cecil Rhodes statue.

St Peter's College and the History Faculty are both historical complexes.

The science area looks great too.

King Richard the Lionheart and King John were born in Oxford, the ruins are there.

The Said Business School is a grand building which would not look out of place in Washington D.C.

Wellington Square is the headquarters of the university.

There's a real tennis court near Merton.

The Museum of Natural History and the Pitts River Museum are both very well visiting.

Nuffield College has an iconic tower. It's the first graduate college since All Souls.

Holywell has the world's oldest music room.

Christ Church claims to have the world's oldest graffiti.

Near Oxford there's the restaurant with the shark on its roof.

The Bates Collection of Musical Instructments gives you the opportunity to play with ancient and rare instruments.

Christ Church also houses priceless pieces of artwork.

Carfax Tower is another tower that would let you view the city.

The Sheldonian Theatre is where many congregations are done, and where all matriculations and graduations are done. Ceremonial site and you can also go up and view the city.

You can also view the city nicely from Weston Library.

The School of Divinity is Oxford's first department, and it also featured in Harry Potter. Best Picture nominee The Favourite was also filmed there quite a bit.

Wadham College has nice grounds.

The Oxford University Press is worth visiting, but you'll need to make an appointment.

The Clarendon building was the first OUP building.

Oxford also has one of the world's oldest pubs.

You can walk on the grass in Pembroke College.

The botanical garden is the oldest on the British isles.

Oxfam was founded on Board Street.

Balliol College is worth visiting too.

Nice restaurants on St Clement's Street.

President Clinton went to University College.

Lady Margaret Hall has nice sites.

There's Tolkien's old house.

Penicillin was discovered in Oxford.

The Randolph Hotel is historic and a favourite of the Clintons'.

The Oxford Union is a huge deal.

The Exam Schools are impressive and important.
the university is currently in Lent term, and there are probably still classes and stuff on on weekends, so the experience is much the same. Also, bear in mind weekends are busier because it's the city centre. The city centre isn't the only place of interest however. Port Meadow in North Oxford, in Summertown is a short bus ride from the city and has the River Cherwell running through it.
As for the boat rides, I have never been on one (I KNOW :redface:!) but from what i've seen and heard they are definitely worth it. they look very nice. there are peak times etc. so do check that out first. idk if u have to book or whatever but yeah.
when are u planning to come and are u coming alone or with someone else? it's also worth checking buses from X to Y, etc. and blah. also some tours have to be booked, so check that out. but you will :heart: it :lol:

Just a little correction - this term is called 'Hilary' in Oxford, although it's called 'Lent' in Cambridge and that's honestly a much better name for it.
ahh yeh lol :smile:
Original post by ConicalFlask
Just a little correction - this term is called 'Hilary' in Oxford, although it's called 'Lent' in Cambridge and that's honestly a much better name for it.
Reply 14
Original post by The Champion.m4a
There are many significant sites in Oxford in world history.

The Oxford Castle is a Norman castle and where The Empress Matilda, Holy Roman Empress, Queen of the Romans, Duchess of Normandy, Lady of the English hid during the Anarchy.

The Ashmolean Museum is the world's very first public museum.

The Museum of the History of Science was the site of the original Ashmolean Museum, and is the world's oldest purpose-built museum building. It also houses a blackboard used by Professor Albert Einstein before he fled to the United States of America.

The Norrington Room in the book shop nearby holds the world record for being the largest room in the world selling books.

Christ Church was founded by His Eminence The Cardinal of King Henry VIII before His Majesty's break from Rome. It also educated more than 10 British prime ministers, and is where Harry Potter was largely filmed.

St Michael's tower belongs to the City Church of Oxford, and is an Anglo-Saxon building. It's the oldest-surviving human structure in Oxford.

Magdalen College has educated many important people, including Oscar Wilde, and it has a deer park and a very nice tower.

Somerville College educated numerous people, including Baroness Thatcher, former prime minister.

Green Templeton College has the old observatory, modeled after the Tower of the Wind in Athens (it looks much better than the one in Athens and is a lot more impressive looking).

Worcester College has a lake.

Regent's Park College is the only former University of London college that breaks off and joined another university.

Trinity College has a very nice and big piece of grassland with very nice gates.

Exeter College (educated Professor Tolkien) is another one with very nice buildings, and a roof leading to a great view of the Radcliffe Camera. You can even find evidence of donation from former Peruvian president PPK.

St John's College is huge and has very nice grounds. It's also next to the memorial for the people executed in the religious Oxford Movement.

New College also has Harry Potter filmed in it.

King's Arms is a historic pub.

Keble College has a unique architectural style (and is a must see).

You may see people playing quidditch in the University Parks.

St Cross's College is small but once again, it's an extraordinary complex.

All Souls College is one that accepts only 2 students per year, and has a world-famous entrance exam. Its quad is also one of the nicest ones.

Brasenose College educated David Cameron among many others.

Lincoln College has an exquisite church.

Merton College is the oldest society that houses and teaches undergraduates, and its library is the oldest academic library in the world.

St Edmund Hall is the oldest surviving college at Oxford, and it's famous for its graveyard.

St Catherine's College has brilliant modern structures.

Linacre College is a small but intriguing building.

St Hugh's College is walled with beautiful buildings.

St Hilda's College is a nice place to be next to the river, and it's also close to the historic Magdalen College School.

South Park is where the bonfire and fireworks are at, and you can see the Oxford skyline from there.

The Port Meadle is good for a relaxing stroll, and it has cows.

Blackfriars' Hall possesses a wonderful Catholic church attended by The Lord Christopher Patten, Chancellor of Oxford, personal advisor to His Holiness the Pope, last governor of Hong Kong, former Conservative chairman, former Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster etc.

The Taylorian Institute is a library that looks marvellous on the inside.

The Old Bodleian Library is full of history, with each of the floor built following a historical event. It also houses the Hogwarts' library.

The Radcliffe Camera is the most iconic site at Oxford, and St Mary's the University Church is right in front of it.

Many nice shops on The High.

The covered market and Cornmarket Street too.

Punting on the river could take you past Wolfson College, an industrial-looking one.

Kellogg College, the Careers Service, Wyncliffe Hall, Norman Gardens are all close to each other and the whole area is very victorian. Professor Dawkins also lives there.

St Anne's College feels like a hotel resort with the lights and the little paths.

The Queen's College supported King Charles I during the English Civil War and you can see evidence of that there.

Corpus Christi College doesn't have a front quad, but they have an obelisk.

St Edward's School has Oxford's second-largest quad (behind Christ Church's).

Oriel College has fantastic buildings but it's most known for having the Prime Minister Cecil Rhodes statue.

St Peter's College and the History Faculty are both historical complexes.

The science area looks great too.

King Richard the Lionheart and King John were born in Oxford, the ruins are there.

The Said Business School is a grand building which would not look out of place in Washington D.C.

Wellington Square is the headquarters of the university.

There's a real tennis court near Merton.

The Museum of Natural History and the Pitts River Museum are both very well visiting.

Nuffield College has an iconic tower. It's the first graduate college since All Souls.

Holywell has the world's oldest music room.

Christ Church claims to have the world's oldest graffiti.

Near Oxford there's the restaurant with the shark on its roof.

The Bates Collection of Musical Instructments gives you the opportunity to play with ancient and rare instruments.

Christ Church also houses priceless pieces of artwork.

Carfax Tower is another tower that would let you view the city.

The Sheldonian Theatre is where many congregations are done, and where all matriculations and graduations are done. Ceremonial site and you can also go up and view the city.

You can also view the city nicely from Weston Library.

The School of Divinity is Oxford's first department, and it also featured in Harry Potter. Best Picture nominee The Favourite was also filmed there quite a bit.

Wadham College has nice grounds.

The Oxford University Press is worth visiting, but you'll need to make an appointment.

The Clarendon building was the first OUP building.

Oxford also has one of the world's oldest pubs.

You can walk on the grass in Pembroke College.

The botanical garden is the oldest on the British isles.

Oxfam was founded on Board Street.

Balliol College is worth visiting too.

Nice restaurants on St Clement's Street.

President Clinton went to University College.

Lady Margaret Hall has nice sites.

There's Tolkien's old house.

Penicillin was discovered in Oxford.

The Randolph Hotel is historic and a favourite of the Clintons'.

The Oxford Union is a huge deal.

The Exam Schools are impressive and important.

Live and work in oxford and knew about hardly any of this, thanks

Cheers :smile:. I haven't got a particular date in mind but definitely when the weather is much warmer..
Cheers :smile:. I haven't got a particular date in mind but definitely when the weather is much warmer..

Oh yes of course :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest