The Student Room Group

Continental drift, plate tectonics & present day plate boundaries

Hi,
I am currently writing an essay about the evidence for continental drift and plate tectonics found at present-day plate boundaries but I'm unsure as to what to put about the present-day boundaries as most of the evidence is spread across the globe? If anyone could help, I would be extremely grateful :smile:
Reply 1
Possibly the whole magnetic field thing of rocks next to plate boundaries (there is the same pattern of north south north south on either side)? I think that's paleomagnetism but I'm not sure
I think we were told something about GIS mapping as well which supposedly shows plate boundaries? But you'd need to check that
Hope this helped
Original post by Lydia.Mx
Hi,
I am currently writing an essay about the evidence for continental drift and plate tectonics found at present-day plate boundaries but I'm unsure as to what to put about the present-day boundaries as most of the evidence is spread across the globe? If anyone could help, I would be extremely grateful :smile:

As BrDy mentioned, I think the main things you can talk about are magnetic striping in igneous rocks at mid-ocean ridges, which provides evidence for movement of oceanic crust, and monitoring of plate movement using GPS and other tracking systems, which is being done on Iceland, for example. You could also discuss patterns of earthquakes around the world (i.e. the concentration of earthquakes along certain zones) as evidence for tectonic plates and their different senses and rates of movement :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by BrDy
Possibly the whole magnetic field thing of rocks next to plate boundaries (there is the same pattern of north south north south on either side)? I think that's paleomagnetism but I'm not sure
I think we were told something about GIS mapping as well which supposedly shows plate boundaries? But you'd need to check that
Hope this helped

Thank you!!
This was really helpful, I've just finished my essay - had put palaeomagnetism in the part about evidence not ad present-day plate boundaries though so I might have to change that. Thanks again, its much appreciated!
Reply 4
Original post by Leviathan1741
As BrDy mentioned, I think the main things you can talk about are magnetic striping in igneous rocks at mid-ocean ridges, which provides evidence for movement of oceanic crust, and monitoring of plate movement using GPS and other tracking systems, which is being done on Iceland, for example. You could also discuss patterns of earthquakes around the world (i.e. the concentration of earthquakes along certain zones) as evidence for tectonic plates and their different senses and rates of movement :smile:

Thanks so much for your help, I have just finished writing my essay so this was very helpful. Is that to do with sea-floor spreading? I think I might need to change that part because I had at first written about palaeomagnetism in the part about evidence that isn't at present-day plate boundaries.
I did write about seismic activity at plate boundaries though so thats good, thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated! :smile:
Original post by Lydia.Mx
Thanks so much for your help, I have just finished writing my essay so this was very helpful. Is that to do with sea-floor spreading? I think I might need to change that part because I had at first written about palaeomagnetism in the part about evidence that isn't at present-day plate boundaries.
I did write about seismic activity at plate boundaries though so thats good, thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated! :smile:

Yes, magnetic striping on the seafloor is evidence for seafloor spreading :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Leviathan1741
Yes, magnetic striping on the seafloor is evidence for seafloor spreading :smile:

Brilliant, thanks so much :smile:
Can I ask what your question was for this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending