The Student Room Group

I am Swedish and studying in the UK- Ask me anything!

I am currently studying a year abroad in the UK at LSE, doing the General Course. I am from Gothenburg in Sweden originally but I have moved many times to other cities as my parents worked for different companies and offices throughout Sweden. I am 21 and studying economics and finance, hoping to work in finance in the future- maybe in London, maybe back in Sweden.

I have long been lurking on this site but I felt maybe I could give back by answering you want to know about Sweden or the culture, history, life etc.

Scroll to see replies

What do prefer, Britain or Sweden, and why?
Reply 2
Original post by Mandem67
What do prefer, Britain or Sweden, and why?

I prefer Sweden obviously, because I am from there and feel at home there, but Britain is also very nice. I have only been to London so far but I have really enjoyed my time here. The people are quite friendly and there is a great selection of food and events here that surpasses anything in Sweden. It’s such a huge city and almost has the same population as all of Sweden so it was quite overwhelming at first, and even now I have only been to Central London so that just shows how big it is. I like how busy it is and how people are so outspoken and willing to help. The architecture here is also beautiful, but I think Sweden would be more affordable to live in and seems like the social services are better there than here.
Did you go to IHGR? :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by AnnaMirjam
Did you go to IHGR? :biggrin:

Yes
Original post by CarlStudent
Yes

When did you graduate? I have some friends there 😂
Do you think Northern Sweden will ever declare independence from the rest of Sweden?

What is your opinion on the Northern part of the country, having started your life in Gothenburg?

How socially cohesive is Sweden do you feel at the moment?
What do you think of Zlatan Ibrahimovic?
are you pewdiepie?
Reply 9
Original post by AnnaMirjam
When did you graduate? I have some friends there 😂

Original post by 04MR17
Do you think Northern Sweden will ever declare independence from the rest of Sweden?

What is your opinion on the Northern part of the country, having started your life in Gothenburg?

How socially cohesive is Sweden do you feel at the moment?

No
i don’t really have an opinion on them. I don’t see them as being that different to Southern Swedes. Maybe they are more rural and insulated than southern swedes but I don’t see them as a different group. I don’t think they do, either.
Quite cohesive, more than Britain or France or America or Germany.
Original post by RichPiana
What do you think of Zlatan Ibrahimovic?

I don’t really care about him. I don’t like football
Reply 12
Do you eat swede?
what do you call it?
Original post by CarlStudent
I am currently studying a year abroad in the UK at LSE, doing the General Course. I am from Gothenburg in Sweden originally but I have moved many times to other cities as my parents worked for different companies and offices throughout Sweden. I am 21 and studying economics and finance, hoping to work in finance in the future- maybe in London, maybe back in Sweden.

I have long been lurking on this site but I felt maybe I could give back by answering you want to know about Sweden or the culture, history, life etc.

Anything about England that you are confused by or think is weird?
Reply 14
Do your parents drive a Volvo and listen to ABBA?
Are you the stereotypical tall Swede.
Original post by lavender_rose
Anything about England that you are confused by or think is weird?

Not really, I don’t think it is that different to Sweden. I think it’s a bit weird that people are so interested in politics and news in the UK, even news about foreign countries, and they seem to know a lot about other countries. I don’t think that’s the same for Sweden. And I think it’s a bit weird that people always say a lot of useless things in a conversation, always making small talk, which is quite unusual in Sweden.
Original post by NJA
Do you eat swede?
what do you call it?

Kålrot
Original post by NJA
Do your parents drive a Volvo and listen to ABBA?

No
Original post by TheNamesBond.
Are you the stereotypical tall Swede.

I am 1.8m, so not really, I am about average.

Quick Reply

Latest