The Student Room Group

What to do with car when at uni?

If you have a car & don’t take it to uni, what do you do regarding insurance? Obviously it still needs to be insured & will still be driven during holidays, but insurance for young drivers is so expensive to be sitting unused most of the time. Would it be better to insure under parents insurance & add students as temporary named drivers? Or continue to pay young persons insurance & gain No Claims?
What do others do?
Original post by BBx2
If you have a car & don’t take it to uni, what do you do regarding insurance? Obviously it still needs to be insured & will still be driven during holidays, but insurance for young drivers is so expensive to be sitting unused most of the time. Would it be better to insure under parents insurance & add students as temporary named drivers? Or continue to pay young persons insurance & gain No Claims?
What do others do?

Mine is sitting at home, still under my name. The insurance isn’t too (in the scheme of things) bad as it’s on multi car so there was a decent discount and I’ve got my first years ncb already. My friends who were driving a parents car have all just been taken off the insurance. (It was cheaper for me to have my own cheap car than be added to my parents insurance, hence why I ended up with my own car)
Reply 2
Original post by BBx2
What do others do?

If you are the main driver you need to be insured as such.

I'd hazard that most students don't own a car.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
It’s currently a shared car used by 2 young drivers mainly, insured under one young driver with the rest of the family as named drivers. While at uni it’s unlikely that it’s going to be used other than during holidays. Seems a shame to get rid of it as it’s a rural area so would still be needed for a few months a year.
Original post by BBx2
What do others do?

SORN it and keep it on a drive/in a garage. Put your parents as the main driver.

To be honest your insurance will never go down by much until you get that NCB, so it's probably worthwhile just to keep it insured even if you're not using it.
Reply 5
I went on my parents throughout college.

Sure you start your no claims collection later but put it this way; £1500 a year hurts way more as a student than it does when you’re working and earning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending