The Student Room Group

Advice on GCSE equivalency test for overseas student

Hey guys,

Can you please give me some advices on GCSE equivalency test? My situation is bit complex.

I'm applying for PGCE Secondary to UCL and other two unis for 2020 entry. As I'm an international student from overseas, to gain school expeirences, I've arranged myself a trip to the UK and now here I am. Yesterday I just sat the GCSE English exam with Equivalencytesting.com. The results are not released yet but I feel I wouldn't get a Grade 5, though I may pass at Grade 4. Unfornately UCL asks for a Grade 5 for a pass!

My concern is if I fail to meet the UCL GCSE requirement by application, does UCL reject me outright or they allow me to resit? Or is it better to just put GCSE pending on UCAS and not mentioning my result at all? Apparently other providers accept Grade 4 for a pass. If I put it as pending, my other two unis would not know I've passed their GCSE requirements. But UCL is really my dream school. Since I'm based overseas, I wouldn't want to travel again to the UK until my interview invitation arrives. It is too costy to travel just for one exam.

I'm now feeling a little stressed. I might ring UCL tomorrow to see what they say. But any advices you can share please do! Thank you!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by bamblue
Hey guys,

Can you please give me some advices on GCSE equivalency test? My situation is bit complex.

I'm applying for PGCE Secondary to UCL and other two unis for 2020 entry. As I'm an international student from overseas, to gain school expeirences, I've arranged myself a trip to the UK and now here I am. Yesterday I just sat the GCSE English exam with Equivalencytesting.com. The results are not released yet but I feel I wouldn't get a Grade 5, though I may pass at Grade 4. Unfornately UCL asks for a Grade 5 for a pass!

My concern is if I fail to meet the UCL GCSE requirement by application, does UCL reject me outright or they allow me to resit? Or is it better to just put GCSE pending on UCAS and not mentioning my result at all? Apparently other providers accept Grade 4 for a pass. If I put it as pending, my other two unis would not know I've passed their GCSE requirements. But UCL is really my dream school. Since I'm based overseas, I wouldn't want to travel again to the UK until my interview invitation arrives. It is too costy to travel just for one exam.

I'm now feeling a little stressed. I might ring UCL tomorrow to see what they say. But any advices you can share please do! Thank you!
If you don't have a GCSE but have taken it and are awaiting results, put pending on UCAS. You only put a grade there if it's a grade you actually have, not just a grade you think you've got.

A PGCE isn't too different wherever you go, what you're taught will be largely the same, the way that the university support you and the placements you'll be doing is what varies depending on institution, so I wouldn't worry too much about UCL being your dream school.
Hello, I am also an oversea student and I am considering sitting an GCSE English exam via ET.
Can I just sit the exam without signing up for the Course and doing the coursework? THX!
Original post by bamblue
Hey guys,

You don't have a grade yet at all- you can't put down a grade 4 based on your judgement of how the exam went. Therefore, you need to list the grade as pending. You can let providers know your results when results come out, or wait until you have a result to apply.

Are you sure that your unis will accept the equivalency test in English? Many will only accept it for science.

You may be able to sit an IGCSE in your own country if you can travel ton an international school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending