The Student Room Group

National 5 History 2018-19

If you're doing National 5 History this year, this is the place for discussing assignments, prelims, the exam (:eek:) and anything at all related to the course :smile: If there's something you keep getting stuck on, just post here and someone else should be able to help you out! :h:

To get the discussion started...
- Which topics are you doing?
- How are you finding it so far?
- Have you done your prelim yet, and if so, how did it go?

Scroll to see replies

hey im doing history this year about immigration to USAkkkracism and Martin Luther King stuffI would like some help
Original post by Sameer Ali23
hey im doing history this year about immigration to USAkkkracism and Martin Luther King stuffI would like some help

:wavey:

I've moved your post into the main Nat 5 history thread for this year :smile: I can't help with your topics, but if you're able to be a bit more specific, someone else might be able to :smile:
Reply 3
We're doing the Slave Trade, Nazi Germany and World War One. I got a B on my prelim, which I am fairly happy with, but I still could have done much better I think. I am currently revising for the assignment and it is pretty awful, as I've chosen a really awkward question (To what extent was shipbuilding the most important role Liverpool played in the slave trade) and it is too late to change it.
Reply 4
Im currently doing my first draft of my assignment, my topic is; To what extent was kristallnacht the worst aspect of nazi treatment of jews. I am really struggling with writing my first draft as my teacher isnt aloud to help much and i dont know how to start each paragraph to get it going. Anyone able to help?
Reply 5
Original post by kmg553
Im currently doing my first draft of my assignment, my topic is; To what extent was kristallnacht the worst aspect of nazi treatment of jews. I am really struggling with writing my first draft as my teacher isnt aloud to help much and i dont know how to start each paragraph to get it going. Anyone able to help?

We got given a structure guide/checklist at the start of the process, and it says at the start of each paragraph to write "Firstly, it can be argued that x was the worst aspect of Nazi treatment of the Jews", add some KU, explain how it links to the question, add a quote from one of your two sources, and then summarise at the end of each paragraph how important YOU think each factor is.
Reply 6
Thank You this helped:smile:
Original post by aingidh
We got given a structure guide/checklist at the start of the process, and it says at the start of each paragraph to write "Firstly, it can be argued that x was the worst aspect of Nazi treatment of the Jews", add some KU, explain how it links to the question, add a quote from one of your two sources, and then summarise at the end of each paragraph how important YOU think each factor is.
Hello everyone,
My three topics are Appeasement and the Road to War, Mary Queen of Scots and The Atlantic Slave Trade.
I initially started off well getting 80-90% but ever since I took the end of year exam in 2018 everything is going downhill.
My prelim results were poor, got a C turned out everyone in my year failed in their prelims.
I don't know how to revise and score an A, I have been rereading my summary notes given by my teacher and practicing past papers.
Any tips?
P.S: my assignment was excellent, my teacher was amazed by my topic and essay. Feel free to message, I will try to reply as soon I can
Toodles!
Hey guys, do you think the 'How successful' question will come up this year? It's never been used before and I'm just wondering as my teacher said it was very likely. Hopefully it doesn't as the 'To What Extent' is way easier in my opinion.
Hi, The topics I’m studying are The First World War, Russian Revolution and Atlantic Slave Trade. They’re all pretty interesting to me which I suppose is helpful in motivating study of them.

WW1 I’m confident with as we spent about a year studying it, so knowledge should be fairly embedded. Russia is probably the most complex of them, although Atlantic Slavery will need more revision since it felt somewhat crammed into the last term. Don’t know if other people are in a similar situation.

I can’t believe how the exam is creeping up so quickly, and not very pleased that history is the first of a final three-in-a-row stretch for me. I really wish everyone luck and successful revision for all your subjects. I’ve been retaking notes into a more condensed form and will be forming flash cards in the lead-up, alongside past papers and lots of mindmapping. I’m also trying to anticipate all different questions from each topic into a word document with answers from the marking schemes to review. Apparently just reading notes isn’t so effective so if someone else has any innovative revision methods I’m sure we’d all be pleased to hear...

Something I read on these forums the other day really stuck with me which I think I’ll leave you with. It was basically someone saying that although exams are important, don’t let the SQA have the power over your life. Revise for yourself not them as it will benefit you. Take a breather when you need it and know that everything will be fine.
Original post by -MikeMike-
Hey guys, do you think the 'How successful' question will come up this year? It's never been used before and I'm just wondering as my teacher said it was very likely. Hopefully it doesn't as the 'To What Extent' is way easier in my opinion.

Is this one of the options for the 9-marker? I hope not to have it curse me with its presence on my exam paper as I’m unfamiliar with it. I trust though that structuring if you have that under the belt will help plus applying any KU relevant in a similar way to the “To what extent” Q.
It's very similar but it's still harder in my opinion because you need to know the topics successes and failures, which gets me quite confused as I need to think even more. Have you not been taught how to do this question in class?
Original post by Vladimir Poutine
Is this one of the options for the 9-marker? I hope not to have it curse me with its presence on my exam paper as I’m unfamiliar with it. I trust though that structuring if you have that under the belt will help plus applying any KU relevant in a similar way to the “To what extent” Q.
Original post by -MikeMike-

We have never been taught about a 'how successful' question i was under the impression that the 9 marker was only ' to what extent' and that it can only come up twice out of the 3 topics
Agreed, just answer it like to what extent.
I am sure SQA have stopped using this question
best of luck for the upcoming exams 😋😊
Original post by scott23434
We have never been taught about a 'how successful' question i was under the impression that the 9 marker was only ' to what extent' and that it can only come up twice out of the 3 topics

Original post by rittajmoghal29
Agreed, just answer it like to what extent.
I am sure SQA have stopped using this question
best of luck for the upcoming exams 😋😊

Well it got added to the course 2 years ago but has never came up. Hopefully it doesn't but I was just saying that it could. We'll see.
The history exam is next Monday and I don’t know the full Atlantic slave topic or how to answer short essay questions (9 markers). I’m terrible at teaching myself stuff so I don’t know what to do. Any tips?
(edited 4 years ago)
Ouch on the slaves, there. You will really need to learn it, but I feel you might be exaggerating when you say you don’t know any of it. There’s a while unttil the exam tho’.

BBC bitesize notes are quite good to jog your memory, so perhaps mindmap the topic from this and try past paper questions on the different sections - even mindmapping these I sometimes feel is better than just sitting down practicing them. Guess I’m a mindmap enthusiast ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Original post by chloe863
The history exam is next Monday and I don’t know the full Atlantic slave topic or how to answer short essay questions (9 markers). I’m terrible at teaching myself stuff so I don’t know what to do. Any tips?

For nine markers there tends to be a sort-of formula that once you get the hang of it flows easily.

Start with the intro, giving background and introducing the arguments. “X happened for many reasons. One reason was blah, however the impact of blah also contributed.

Then do the body, which consists of 5 points across two or three paragraphs (eg one containing three another containing 2 is ideal). Begin each para with a sentence to introduce the factor “Some historians argue the main reason was blah.” Might help to give context too if you have any, Idk if that is given marks.
The points in each paragraph work basically the same way as an answer to an explain question does. You give your reasons and explain exactly how or why they had whatever impact.

The conclusion is pretty simple as it has just two parts: you make your overall conclusion I guess in one sentence then sum up in anothed, explaining the judgment.

Hope I’m helping, truth is I’m dead tired and hardly functioning atm. Sorry if this turns out to be at all incoherent.

All the best. :smile:
Original post by Vladimir Poutine
Ouch on the slaves, there. You will really need to learn it, but I feel you might be exaggerating when you say you don’t know any of it. There’s a while unttil the exam tho’.

BBC bitesize notes are quite good to jog your memory, so perhaps mindmap the topic from this and try past paper questions on the different sections - even mindmapping these I sometimes feel is better than just sitting down practicing them. Guess I’m a mindmap enthusiast ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
For nine markers there tends to be a sort-of formula that once you get the hang of it flows easily.

Start with the intro, giving background and introducing the arguments. “X happened for many reasons. One reason was blah, however the impact of blah also contributed.

Then do the body, which consists of 5 points across two or three paragraphs (eg one containing three another containing 2 is ideal). Begin each para with a sentence to introduce the factor “Some historians argue the main reason was blah.” Might help to give context too if you have any, Idk if that is given marks.
The points in each paragraph work basically the same way as an answer to an explain question does. You give your reasons and explain exactly how or why they had whatever impact.

The conclusion is pretty simple as it has just two parts: you make your overall conclusion I guess in one sentence then sum up in anothed, explaining the judgment.

Hope I’m helping, truth is I’m dead tired and hardly functioning atm. Sorry if this turns out to be at all incoherent.

All the best. :smile:

Thank u sm hehe. (I’m actually not exaggerating when I say I don’t know any of it hehe I honestly don’t know one thing hehe oops).
Dw it likely won’t take you too long; was the shortest we did in class. Do revise it, but don’t spend too much of your life on it.
Thank u sm hehe. (I’m actually not exaggerating when I say I don’t know any of it hehe I honestly don’t know one thing hehe oops).
Reply 19

Yo don’t worry bro, i’m doing the atlantic slave trade aswell and i find it the hardest to learn of the three i’m studying (i’m also doing the era of the great war and hitler and nazi germany). i guess i’m just persisting on and making sure i get it all learnt before the exam. also flash cards are quite useful. i usually go through them and separate the ones i do know and the ones i don’t know, and then i can prioritise my weaker areas. however these are sometimes quite time consuming but they are really effective in the end. history for me is the subject that has the most content to learn.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending