The Student Room Group
Original post by stack__
I done btec level 3 IT 1st year i got PP 2nd year i got PPP i think i got 80ucas points in total how bad isit to get ppp? I mean i still have the qualification of extended diploma. I am thinking to do a foundation year at uni but i am not sure.

What happened? the grades are the lowest you can get without failing.
What is it in and what do you want to do?
PPP is worth 48 points. Most low end unis will want 80 foundation and 96-112 bottom end straight degree entry.

Why did you get PPP? Did you struggle, did you work hard? You need to id this.

I am not sure. You might find a low end uni to take you, but id be concerned whether uni is really for you and if you can cope with the academic side. Maybe a vocational course would be better for you? You are probably taking on £15,000 of quasi debt on a foundation and am not convinced its worth the risk. Exams are going to get harder until you sort out your academics.

If you feel uni is for you , then you should prove that by doing some more fe exams at college to , even redo your btec.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
What happened? the grades are the lowest you can get without failing.
What is it in and what do you want to do?
PPP is worth 48 points. Most low end unis will want 80 foundation and 96-112 bottom end straight degree entry.

Why did you get PPP? Did you struggle, did you work hard? You need to id this.

I am not sure. You might find a low end uni to take you, but id be concerned whether uni is really for you and if you can cope with the academic side. Maybe a vocational course would be better for you? You are probably taking on £15,000 of quasi debt on a foundation and am not convinced its worth the risk. Exams are going to get harder until you sort out your academics.

If you feel uni is for you , then you should prove that by doing some more fe exams at college to , even redo your btec.

I mean yeah your right it is the lowest grade on BTEC but i still got my qualification i wasnt really thinking about UCAS points therefore i never worked hard just done the passes and got the assignments at the way lol. I kinda regret doing that but i got level 3 btec diploma and i got btec level 3 extended diploma so i calculated it and i got 80 ucas points i think i could get into a foundation year. If i do not go to uni i do not know what to do any advice? Maybe employment or level 4 apprenticeship?
Original post by stack__
I mean yeah your right it is the lowest grade on BTEC but i still got my qualification i wasnt really thinking about UCAS points therefore i never worked hard just done the passes and got the assignments at the way lol. I kinda regret doing that but i got level 3 btec diploma and i got btec level 3 extended diploma so i calculated it and i got 80 ucas points i think i could get into a foundation year. If i do not go to uni i do not know what to do any advice? Maybe employment or level 4 apprenticeship?

As i said in my post you have 46 UCAS points. NOT 80. See how far it gets you. If you could have worked harder then its your loss. Go and see careers. I cant believe 2 years has gone by.
Reply 4
As i said in my post you have 46 UCAS points. NOT 80. See how far it gets you. If you could have worked harder then its your loss. Go and see careers. I cant believe 2 years has gone by.

Yep i ****ed up lol. So let me get this straight my extended diploma is PPP so 48 ucas points but my level 3 btec diploma is 32 points? So shouldn't it be 80 in total?
Original post by stack__
Yep i ****ed up lol. So let me get this straight my extended diploma is PPP so 48 ucas points but my level 3 btec diploma is 32 points? So shouldn't it be 80 in total?

You are adding year 1 and 2 scores from the same qualification?
You can only use the grades equivalent to 3 A levels and that would be double counting year 1.
The second year is where you get the extra P or am I missing the fact you were doing two btecs rather than extending the original? Imo 48.
Reply 6
You are adding year 1 and 2 scores from the same qualification?
You can only use the grades equivalent to 3 A levels and that would be double counting year 1.
The second year is where you get the extra P or am I missing the fact you were doing two btecs rather than extending the original? Imo 48.

https://digital.ucas.com/courses/details?coursePrimaryId=a9ba8882-ea35-5ce4-ce63-48f432674f09&academicYearId=2019

i am hoping to get accepted into that course.

Ok. have you talked to them?
Do they interview and have you put in your application?
How do you know you can cope or will apply yourself?

If you have done the research and its what you want then go for it, just remember from now on you are borrowing money to pay for your education. Try and get it right.
Reply 8
Ok. have you talked to them?
Do they interview and have you put in your application?
How do you know you can cope or will apply yourself?

If you have done the research and its what you want then go for it, just remember from now on you are borrowing money to pay for your education. Try and get it right.

You are right i do not know what to do so i am thinking to start a foundation year at uni... I am also considering to apply to full time jobs to see which jobs i could get a interview from. Also how does clearing work and does UCAS points matter for clearing?
Original post by stack__
You are right i do not know what to do so i am thinking to start a foundation year at uni... I am also considering to apply to full time jobs to see which jobs i could get a interview from. Also how does clearing work and does UCAS points matter for clearing?

Have you applied for that course?

Clearing opens sometime in July and there will be a list of courses that are unfilled. They may accept slightly lower grades, but its no good getting on a course you cant cope with. Yes grades and ucas points still matter. A foundation also costs you £15,000 of quasi debt.

Speak to a careers advisor.

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/contact-us/home
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Have you applied for that course?

Clearing opens sometime in July and there will be a list of courses that are unfilled. They may accept slightly lower grades, but its no good getting on a course you cant cope with. Yes grades and ucas points still matter. A foundation also costs you £15,000 of quasi debt.

Speak to a careers advisor.

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/contact-us/home

Didn't submit my ucas application yet im just waiting on the reference and to be honest i dont know if i could handle uni but i am still applying to see which offers i get. Do you also think i could get a alright job with my level 3 extended diploma?
Original post by stack__
Didn't submit my ucas application yet im just waiting on the reference and to be honest i dont know if i could handle uni but i am still applying to see which offers i get. Do you also think i could get a alright job with my level 3 extended diploma?

Because your grades are low then it wont count for that much imo, but apply and see. You stand more chance with apprenticeships.
You might as well apply and see what comes up.
Reply 12
I am now kind of upset that I got PPP but then I know some people that failed level 3 so yeah I'm just trying to think positive about it. I will try to apply to everything I can and see my luck. Thanks anyways also my level 3 is equivalent to 3 a levels right ?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by stack__
I am now kind of upset that I got PPP but then I know some people that failed level 3 so yeah I'm just trying to think positive about it. I will try to apply to everything I can and see my luck. Thanks anyways also my level 3 is equivalent to 3 a levels right ?

Its equiavlent to 3 A levels at grade D or E.

Not meaning to beat you up here just telling you the truth. You should have been posting here when you got PP or at least been focused on how to pull it back. Try three options and see what comes up. You could try that computer course, but you have to be satisfied you have the work ethic and ability to cope.

You can ask the careers adviser.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5823068
Original post by Island289
What a way to encourage someone 😏

Original post by stack__

You can always work harder and you can do it. No one should make you feel like failure that's not advise. And yes you can improve. Ask an advisor it is better. Don't feel discouraged.

Latest

Trending

Trending