The Student Room Group

Student Finance for students who lived less than 5 years in UK

Hey everyone, I was applying for student finance online but they have told me that I can't therefore I need to fill in a form.

However, I am scared now because I don't know whether I am eligible at all because I have only lived in UK for 4 years and they require 5 years apparently...

Does anyone know whether that means I will not receive anything or it will just impact the amount I will receive?

Thanks! x
Original post by sparkRose
Hey everyone, I was applying for student finance online but they have told me that I can't therefore I need to fill in a form.

However, I am scared now because I don't know whether I am eligible at all because I have only lived in UK for 4 years and they require 5 years apparently...

Does anyone know whether that means I will not receive anything or it will just impact the amount I will receive?

Thanks! x

Hello,

In order to check your eligibility to apply, can you please answer the following questions:

1. Which university and course you’re looking to start your studies with and when?
2. How old you are.
3. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.
4. Will you or a family member be working in the UK whilst you’re studying? If so, is this employed or self employed work?

Warm Regards, Dean.
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Dean
Hello,

In order to check your eligibility to apply, can you please answer the following questions:

1. Which university and course you’re looking to start your studies with and when?
2. How old you are.
3. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.
4. Will you or a family member be working in the UK whilst you’re studying? If so, is this employed or self employed work?

Warm Regards, Dean.

Yes sure, thank you for your reply.
1. Manchester Metropolitan University, Fashion Buying and Merchandising (bachelor's degree), September of 2019
2.18 years old (By September I will be 19)
3. Yes, GCSE's in Maths, English, Dance, History, Science's and Art, A-Levels/BTEC in business, art, performing arts and media, and currently taking a one year course in London Fashion Retail where I am studying L4 Fashion Retail Marketing and Business (will be finished in May and have NOT applied for student finance for this course)
4. Myself (most likely) will be working and my family member will also be working in UK, both are employed work
Yes sure, thank you for your reply.
1. Manchester Metropolitan University, Fashion Buying and Merchandising (bachelor's degree), September of 2019
2.18 years old (By September I will be 19)
3. Yes, GCSE's in Maths, English, Dance, History, Science's and Art, A-Levels/BTEC in business, art, performing arts and media, and currently taking a one year course in London Fashion Retail where I am studying L4 Fashion Retail Marketing and Business (will be finished in May and have NOT applied for student finance for this course)
4. Myself (most likely) will be working and my family member will also be working in UK, both are employed work

Hi,

The applications for 2019/20 aren't open yet. We expect them to launch in the next few weeks so keep an eye on our social media for the announcement.

If you're an EU national when will you reach 5 years residency?

Thanks,
Stuart
Reply 4
Original post by Stuart SFE
Hi,

The applications for 2019/20 aren't open yet. We expect them to launch in the next few weeks so keep an eye on our social media for the announcement.

If you're an EU national when will you reach 5 years residency?

Thanks,
Stuart

Hello and Thank You.

Okay, thank you for letting me know.

I will be officially living in the UK for 5 years on the 26th of October, 2019.

Does that mean that I will only be eligible for maintenance loan after the October 26th?

Thank You.
Hello and Thank You.

Okay, thank you for letting me know.

I will be officially living in the UK for 5 years on the 26th of October, 2019.

Does that mean that I will only be eligible for maintenance loan after the October 26th?

Thank You.

Hi there,

As you don't have five years residency before the 1st September then you would not be eligible to apply as a home student. Will you be working while you study?

Thanks, Erin
Reply 6
Hello again,

Oh okay, I will be working during but most likely it will not be enough to cover the expenses of accommodation and food etc. together.

Would there be a possibility to apply for the maintenance loan after the October 26th as I would be in the UK for 5 years then?

Also, my Mom's fiance is British Citizen, would that make any difference?

Thank You!
Hello again,

Oh okay, I will be working during but most likely it will not be enough to cover the expenses of accommodation and food etc. together.

Would there be a possibility to apply for the maintenance loan after the October 26th as I would be in the UK for 5 years then?

Also, my Mom's fiance is British Citizen, would that make any difference?

Thank You!

Hi there,

If you are going to be working and continuing to throughout your studies then you may be eligible to apply for a Migrant Worker. This allows you to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan.

You aren't able to apply for the loan in October, you need to have five years residency before the 1st September.

Thanks, Erin
Reply 8
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi there,

If you are going to be working and continuing to throughout your studies then you may be eligible to apply for a Migrant Worker. This allows you to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan.

You aren't able to apply for the loan in October, you need to have five years residency before the 1st September.

Thanks, Erin

As I have read on the website, one part of the criteria mentions that you need to be...
- working or self-employed

However, on the website, it says that I have to send 3-month payslip but I am not currently working part or full time but my mom's fiance does. But I for sure will be looking for jobs and working during university part-time, so does that still make me eligible?

Thank You.
As I have read on the website, one part of the criteria mentions that you need to be...
- working or self-employed

However, on the website, it says that I have to send 3-month payslip but I am not currently working part or full time but my mom's fiance does. But I for sure will be looking for jobs and working during university part-time, so does that still make me eligible?

Thank You.

Hi,

You can apply as a Migrant Worker once you've secured a job or as a son of a Migrant Worker if your mother is also an EU national who is working here.

Another option is to push your intake to January 2020. This would still constitute as a 19/20 application and you would have met the five years by then.

Eligibility is determined from the very first academic year, you can swap to Migrant Worker funding after receiving EU funding, but you cannot apply on the basis of being here for five years if you didn't meet this criterion from the very start during the same course.

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 10
Original post by SFE Nihad
Hi,

You can apply as a Migrant Worker once you've secured a job or as a son of a Migrant Worker if your mother is also an EU national who is working here.

Another option is to push your intake to January 2020. This would still constitute as a 19/20 application and you would have met the five years by then.

Eligibility is determined from the very first academic year, you can swap to Migrant Worker funding after receiving EU funding, but you cannot apply on the basis of being here for five years if you didn't meet this criterion from the very start during the same course.

Regards,
Nihad

Hello again,
Thank you for your response.
Just to clarify, as you have mentioned 'Another option is to push your intake to January 2020. This would still constitute as a 19/20 application and you would have met the five years by then' does this mean that I can apply for 19/20 student finance after or during the first term which means that then I would be able to receive the full loan including tuition fee and maintenance but for the first term (From September till December before holidays) I would have to pay for all of the fees myself? or I can apply for tuition fee loan now and re-apply during my first term which then means I could receive the full loan (if I am eligible based on other factors).

Sorry to keep bothering you with questions.

Kind Regards.
Hello again,
Thank you for your response.
Just to clarify, as you have mentioned 'Another option is to push your intake to January 2020. This would still constitute as a 19/20 application and you would have met the five years by then' does this mean that I can apply for 19/20 student finance after or during the first term which means that then I would be able to receive the full loan including tuition fee and maintenance but for the first term (From September till December before holidays) I would have to pay for all of the fees myself? or I can apply for tuition fee loan now and re-apply during my first term which then means I could receive the full loan (if I am eligible based on other factors).

Sorry to keep bothering you with questions.

Kind Regards.

Hi, you would need to have the 5 years residency prior to the start of the academic year of the course, so if you were to still start in September and not apply for the funding till January then we would still not be able to award the funding as you wouldn’t have the residency. However if the course started in January then we need to see 5 years prior to the 01/01/20, which you will have at that point. Thanks, Aaron.
Reply 12
Original post by SFE Aaron
Hi, you would need to have the 5 years residency prior to the start of the academic year of the course, so if you were to still start in September and not apply for the funding till January then we would still not be able to award the funding as you wouldn’t have the residency. However if the course started in January then we need to see 5 years prior to the 01/01/20, which you will have at that point. Thanks, Aaron.

Hey, thank you. But that means that when I have to reapply for student finance for the second academic year, then I would get the tuition fee loan and maintenance loan as I will officially be in the UK for 5 years?
Thank You.
Hey, thank you. But that means that when I have to reapply for student finance for the second academic year, then I would get the tuition fee loan and maintenance loan as I will officially be in the UK for 5 years?
Thank You.

Hi there,

You need to meet the 5 year residency criteria before the 1st day of the first academic year of the course. As you will be starting your course before you meet the 5 years residency, you will need to apply as a migrant worker to be eligible for Maintenance Loan funding.

Thanks, Andy
Reply 14
Original post by SFE Andrew
Hi there,

You need to meet the 5 year residency criteria before the 1st day of the first academic year of the course. As you will be starting your course before you meet the 5 years residency, you will need to apply as a migrant worker to be eligible for Maintenance Loan funding.

Thanks, Andy

Hello, thank you for your response

When is the best time to apply for student finance as a migrant worker for the money to be ready on time? (Before the first day if academic year).

Thank You.
Reply 15
Hello, thank you for your response

When is the best time to apply for student finance as a migrant worker for the money to be ready on time? (Before the first day if academic year).

Thank You.

Also, is there a certain amount I have to earn as a student to be eligible as a migrant worker?

Thank You.
Also, is there a certain amount I have to earn as a student to be eligible as a migrant worker?

Thank You.

Hi there,

You can apply now, the applications launched today. You need to complete a PN1 application form.
Regarding your other question, there is no set amount that you need to earn to be eligible for migrant worker funding but it needs to be considered enough to live off of.

Thanks, Andy
Reply 17
Good afternoon,

As the student finance has opened now, I want to apply as a migrant worker but I can't find the PN1 form anywhere for 19/20?

Thank You.
Good afternoon,

As the student finance has opened now, I want to apply as a migrant worker but I can't find the PN1 form anywhere for 19/20?

Thank You.

Hi there,

You can find the PN1 for 19/20 here http://ow.ly/om2d30nR6FN.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending