The Student Room Group

Oxford UNIQ rejection.

Hi!

So I got rejected from UNIQ, is this an indicator that I’m not suited for oxford? I mean I know only two people from my school who applied successfully and I achieved better GCSE’s than both of them, and are currently working at a grade above them in A level so what’s happened there - maybe I’m rubbish at personal statements or just not good enough to get in?

Any advice welcome, thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ryan15mcc
Hi!

So I got rejected from UNIQ, is this an indicator that I’m not suited for oxford? I mean I know only two people from my school who applied successfully and I achieved better GCSE’s than both of them, and are currently working at a grade above them in A level so what’s happened there - maybe I’m rubbish at personal statements or just not good enough to get in?

Any advice welcome, thanks!

Maybe your not qualified? For example a private school student will get rejected for uniq so dont lose heart.

Disadvantaged students go for UNIQ! You havent proven anything to them. Do it in your admissions test and everything will be fine.

Good luck! I am applying ro Oxford too!!
Reply 2
Original post by nickj7657
Maybe your not qualified? For example a private school student will get rejected for uniq so dont lose heart.

Disadvantaged students go for UNIQ! You havent proven anything to them. Do it in your admissions test and everything will be fine.

Good luck! I am applying ro Oxford too!!

Thanks for your support, what are you applying for? And did you get into UNIQ?
Thanks for your support, what are you applying for? And did you get into UNIQ?

I am not eligible for UNIQ.

And I want to apply for Engineering science at Christ Church.
Reply 4
Hey,

I wouldn't worry, they really emphasise the fact that a lot of UNIQ rejects will still go on to study at Oxford in a few years.

I also got rejected for Law and Spanish despite eleven 9's at GCSE! They said my postcode was too privileged and stuff which is fair enough I guess, as UNIQ prioritises those from less privileged backgrounds. Don't take it to heart, just work twice as hard to get into the real thing now! :smile:
Original post by Dodo717
Hey,

I wouldn't worry, they really emphasise the fact that a lot of UNIQ rejects will still go on to study at Oxford in a few years.

I also got rejected for Law and Spanish despite eleven 9's at GCSE! They said my postcode was too privileged and stuff which is fair enough I guess, as UNIQ prioritises those from less privileged backgrounds. Don't take it to heart, just work twice as hard to get into the real thing now! :smile:

true mate!!!
Reply 6
Original post by nickj7657
I am not eligible for UNIQ.

And I want to apply for Engineering science at Christ Church.

Sounds good, I wish you the best of luck mate :smile:
Sounds good, I wish you the best of luck mate :smile:

thanks
Reply 8
Original post by Dodo717
Hey,

Really kind thank you, that’s really unlucky for you, what amazing GCSE’s! I will work 10x harder.
Reply 9
Really kind thank you, that’s really unlucky for you, what amazing GCSE’s! I will work 10x harder.

Thanks mate, and yeah it's fine though. Best of luck with everything and UCAS soon. :smile:
It's more than likely that you didn't meet as many of the entry requirements as other candidates - I don't mean academically, but socioeconomic factors etc. For what it's worth I was rejected from UNIQ last year and I got an offer from Cambridge this year, so it definitely doesn't mean you're not Oxbridge material :smile: Best of luck in your application!
Reply 11
Original post by Dodo717
Thanks mate, and yeah it's fine though. Best of luck with everything and UCAS soon. :smile:

Thank you, same to your endeavours.
Reply 12
Original post by maddie0132
It's more than likely that you didn't meet as many of the entry requirements as other candidates - I don't mean academically, but socioeconomic factors etc. For what it's worth I was rejected from UNIQ last year and I got an offer from Cambridge this year, so it definitely doesn't mean you're not Oxbridge material :smile: Best of luck in your application!

Wow, congrats! You must be pleased. This is very inspirational and thank you for your kind words, I hope I’m oxbridge material!
I got rejected from the Sutton Trust summer school (UNIQ but for the better uni in the fens :tongue:), and now I'm in my fourth year at Cambridge.

I'm not sure that I was ineligible, but I didn't get a place on the summer school regardless, yet still got into Cambridge, so don't be put off.
Reply 14
Original post by Saracen's Fez
I got rejected from the Sutton Trust summer school (UNIQ but for the better uni in the fens :tongue:), and now I'm in my fourth year at Cambridge.

I'm not sure that I was ineligible, but I didn't get a place on the summer school regardless, yet still got into Cambridge, so don't be put off.

HI, if you don't mind me asking what sort of things did you put in your personal statement to appeal to Oxbridge? I was kind of relying on UNIQ to boost my uni application but I just got rejected (straight 9s at GCSE and predicted A*AA at a level ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )
Thanks
7 A*s, 3 As, 2 Bs at GCSE, A*A*AAA at A-level.

Original post by anna_42
HI, if you don't mind me asking what sort of things did you put in your personal statement to appeal to Oxbridge? I was kind of relying on UNIQ to boost my uni application but I just got rejected (straight 9s at GCSE and predicted A*AA at a level ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )
Thanks

Not loads of stuff, just some books I'd read in my languages (I'm doing German and French) and comments about them really, plus reasons why I liked languages. There wasn't anything spectacular certainly.

I'm genuinely not sure whether it 'boosts' an application that's not really the purpose of the summer school, it's more so that people who aren't really sure if Oxbridge is for them can find out.
Hi just wanted to say that last year I got rejected from UNIQ and now have an offer to do Law at Cambridge. A rejection is not an indicator of how suited you are to Oxbridge.
Reply 17
Original post by Ellieg1230
Hi just wanted to say that last year I got rejected from UNIQ and now have an offer to do Law at Cambridge. A rejection is not an indicator of how suited you are to

Congrats! That’s rwally impressive, can i ask what a a levels u did and ur gcse results? U can private message me if it’s too personal. This helps me to not have a negative attitude seeing how u succeeded without UNIQ
Don’t be disheartened, I couldn’t do UNIQ and I got an offer from them so it’s certainly not impossible. Just try your best! :smile:
Congrats! That’s rwally impressive, can i ask what a a levels u did and ur gcse results? U can private message me if it’s too personal. This helps me to not have a negative attitude seeing how u succeeded without UNIQ

Thank you! I do English Lit, History, Geography and Maths and I got 10 A*’s and 3 A’s at GCSE. Wish you the best of luck with your uni application!

Latest

Trending

Trending