The Student Room Group

I'm prepping for Brexit, AMA.

As Brexit approaches, many people are choosing to make extra preparations in light of potential disruptions to food supply. For some people this means a few extra tins in the cupboard, for others it goes as far as renting storage units and having hidden stocks. Whilst I'm not quite at that extreme, I can say that I am definitely prepping for Brexit. It's not for everyone, but numbers are growing quickly - I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

What is prepping?
Prepping (coming from preparation, preparedness) is essentially the act of stockpiling food, drinks and household goods in case of emergency or crisis. The most common prepping items are food and drinks. Generally people will stockpile foods that are stored at ambient temperatures and have a long shelf-life.

What are we preparing for?
Hopefully nothing! Preppers are generally preparing for any sort of unexpected event that disrupts the supply of their daily essentials for living. This could be a natural disaster, petrol shortage, extreme weather or civil unrest. The whole point of prepping is for survival, and to make that survival as comfortable as possible.

Are you prepping for Brexit? What do you think of prepping? What do you want to know about being a prepper?

Scroll to see replies

Ain't nobody in a shared uni house got freezer space for dat
Dont you think this is a little bit dramatic? Should i be convincing my parents to start prepping as well?
Everyone's prepping for Brexit and then there's me prepping for a zombie apocalypse
Original post by CoolCavy
Ain't nobody in a shared uni house got freezer space for dat

The freezer wouldn't be much use if the power went out anyway. It's all about that cupboard food.

Original post by PureHeroine
Dont you think this is a little bit dramatic? Should i be convincing my parents to start prepping as well?

I will be very happy if I don't need to use my supplies, but if worst comes to worst, I know I'll be ok. I think it is possible to go a bit far with it though, and certainly a limit as to what you should spend. I think it would be sensible for everyone to have some supplies put aside, even if it's just a couple of weeks worth.

Original post by JoshDarnIt
Everyone's prepping for Brexit and then there's me prepping for a zombie apocalypse

I'm not sure if extra dried linguine would do me much good in a zombie apocalypse.
Original post by Charlotte's Web
The freezer wouldn't be much use if the power went out anyway. It's all about that cupboard food.

I will be very happy if I don't need to use my supplies, but if worst comes to worst, I know I'll be ok. I think it is possible to go a bit far with it though, and certainly a limit as to what you should spend. I think it would be sensible for everyone to have some supplies put aside, even if it's just a couple of weeks worth.

I'm not sure if extra dried linguine would do me much good in a zombie apocalypse.

Noone has any cupboard space either since it's sharing with 7 people.
Just seems a bit OTT but you do you I guess
Noone has any cupboard space either since it's sharing with 7 people.
Just seems a bit OTT but you do you I guess

I mean, when I was at uni I had a box with food on top of my wardrobe, but that was mostly out of fear of food stealing. I think there certainly is a level where it becomes a little extreme, but I don't think there's anything OTT about having a bit of extra food around (that will get eaten regardless).
Gotta make do with what you're given I guess :dontknow:

Out of interest, what sort of supplies does one need for a zombie apocalypse?
People sure do like to overreact.
It's as though people think Brexit will somehow turn the country into a third-world one.
So by stockpiling, aren't you contributing to a food shortage? You're creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.
You're one of those annoying people who buy all the breads and eggs because Tesco will be closed on Chrimbo Day.
Reply 11
No idea why people thing that the U.K. will stop in it’s tracks the day brexit comes. The scaremongering has worked.

People will get up to work at 9, leave at 5 and the world will still be turning.
I mean, when I was at uni I had a box with food on top of my wardrobe, but that was mostly out of fear of food stealing. I think there certainly is a level where it becomes a little extreme, but I don't think there's anything OTT about having a bit of extra food around (that will get eaten regardless).

That doesn't really seem like prepping that just seems like doing normal food shopping. Everyone buys stuff a bit in advance to plan for meals and stuff, noone eats everything they buy in one day or week.
Don't hurt me cos I'm not talking about you specifically but this seems like a very privileged thing to do because lots of people live week by week including myself on £20 a week. If you have enough finances to stock up on food you don't need then you are quite fortunate tbh.
This all seems quite extreme, have you considered that you’re overreacting?

To top this, a user above has brought to light an interesting fact, by contributing to this stockpiling you are actually causing a food shortage.
(edited 5 years ago)
- Guns, lots and lots of guns :colone: Preferably long range and short.
- Melee weapons cos why the hell not
- Food cos you don't wanna be starvin' yoself whilst all the zombies are having fun having a buffet
- Bandages and first aid kit in case you fall over and get a boo boo
- Flashlight for when it gets dark out (most accidents happen in the dark)
- Batteries for said flashlight (preferably solar powered)
- A ''friend'' to use for bait when you get in a sticky situation
- A badass getaway vehicle with guns and turrets and spikes and shizz
- A gameboy for when you get bored of crackin' skulls

Haha, brilliant. Your poor ''friend'' though.

Original post by Mactotaur
So by stockpiling, aren't you contributing to a food shortage? You're creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I don't think me buying a few extra things each time I shop over quite a long period will cause a food shortage. It's all stuff I intend to use anyway, so I'll be buying less later on.

Original post by Notoriety
You're one of those annoying people who buy all the breads and eggs because Tesco will be closed on Chrimbo Day.

Haha! Who's eating bread and eggs at Christmas? Although I am guilty of freezing the reduced turkeys they have on boxing day...

Original post by xDron3
No idea why people thing that the U.K. will stop in it’s tracks the day brexit comes. The scaremongering has worked.

People will get up to work at 9, leave at 5 and the world will still be turning.

I don't think the UK will stop in its tracks. I think it's possible there will be a bit less food on the shelves or what is there will be more expensive. I'll be very happy if everything continues as it is.

Original post by mpaprika
Does wondering how you'll pay non eu fees because you haven't been living here enough count?

Oh no, sorry to hear! Really is appalling that that is even an issue. I believe they will be refunded though?

That doesn't really seem like prepping that just seems like doing normal food shopping. Everyone buys stuff a bit in advance to plan for meals and stuff, noone eats everything they buy in one day or week.
Don't hurt me cos I'm not talking about you specifically but this seems like a very privileged thing to do because lots of people live week by week including myself on £20 a week. If you have enough finances to stock up on food you don't need then you are quite fortunate tbh.

Yeah I mean I normally shop a week in advance. Essentially all I'm doing is buying a bit extra each time to build up supplies. It's hard to say how long the food I have would last but I reckon I've got about a month's worth, not including the fridge and freezer. I definitely feel privileged to be able to do this, although much of the stuff I buy is pretty cheap (pasta, rice, grains, lentils etc.). There's certainly not any luxury prepping going on here. Another thing is that I'd like to be able to look after those around me if need be.
Original post by TheNamesBond.
This all seems quite extreme, have you considered that you’re overreacting?

To top this, a user above has brought to light an interesting fact, by contributing to this stockpiling you are actually causing a food shortage.

I don't really think at the scale I'm prepping that it is overreacting. I'd be very happy to find I'd overreacted.

As I've mentioned, I don't think me buying a few extra tins and pasta (which I'd buy anyway) in advance is going to contribute to a food storage. Even taking into account the extreme preppers, I don't think it's happening on a scale that would cause any real impact. Most preppers buy slowly over a longer period rather than all rushing out at once to empty the shelves.
I'm hoping the Guardian's report that Brexit will be delayed until 2021 so I have time to leave the sinking ship
Hmm lemme think :hmmmm:

@blueworld2378 :colone:

You have just contacted Satan, well done Josh.
Haha, brilliant. Your poor ''friend'' though.

I don't think me buying a few extra things each time I shop over quite a long period will cause a food shortage. It's all stuff I intend to use anyway, so I'll be buying less later on.

Haha! Who's eating bread and eggs at Christmas? Although I am guilty of freezing the reduced turkeys they have on boxing day...

I don't think the UK will stop in its tracks. I think it's possible there will be a bit less food on the shelves or what is there will be more expensive. I'll be very happy if everything continues as it is.

Oh no, sorry to hear! Really is appalling that that is even an issue. I believe they will be refunded though?

Yeah I mean I normally shop a week in advance. Essentially all I'm doing is buying a bit extra each time to build up supplies. It's hard to say how long the food I have would last but I reckon I've got about a month's worth, not including the fridge and freezer. I definitely feel privileged to be able to do this, although much of the stuff I buy is pretty cheap (pasta, rice, grains, lentils etc.). There's certainly not any luxury prepping going on here. Another thing is that I'd like to be able to look after those around me if need be.

See that doesn't seem so extreme. I had visions of you in plastic corregated bunker pipes like in that Stacey Dooley documentary on prepping. Buying a bit extra each time is not that crazy or anything, I don't think Brexit really requires it but if you are worried about it that's fair enough. I would not be a prepped but if I had the money and space to put it i would buy a bit extra when I went shopping just so I didn't have to live so hand to mouth and could plan meals better .
I don't really think at the scale I'm prepping that it is overreacting. I'd be very happy to find I'd overreacted.

As I've mentioned, I don't think me buying a few extra tins and pasta (which I'd buy anyway) in advance is going to contribute to a food storage. Even taking into account the extreme preppers, I don't think it's happening on a scale that would cause any real impact. Most preppers buy slowly over a longer period rather than all rushing out at once to empty the shelves.

But you do agree that you telling people about what you’re doing could increase these acts?

Therefore increasing the rate of food shortage.

Quick Reply

Latest