The Student Room Group

Oxford Schools’ Debating Comp

How much will getting through to the finals of the Oxford Schools’ Debating Comp help my personal statement (for law)?

I know it’s a prestigious comp, so I’m hoping it’ll make me stand out :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rose.obrien
How much will getting through to the finals of the Oxford Schools’ Debating Comp help my personal statement (for law)?

I know it’s a prestigious comp, so I’m hoping it’ll make me stand out :smile:

I've moved your thread to the Law forum where you're more likely to get an answer :smile:
Ahh that’s annoying.
do you know any good unis (in England ) which place emphasis on/look at your PS? Or any unis there are which tend to have a more holistic view/put less emphasis on GCSEs?
Official university sites tend to be a bit vague :/
Thank you
Thank u! And dw, I plan on making my PS (and my application in general) as strong as possible

I plan on applying to Durham, so it’s good to know they at least read it haha

On the topic, Durham does seem to have a 64% offer rate (according to whichuni, which claims to get this info through UCAS)
This is quite high (compared to unis like LSE, which has a similar ranking) , which seems a bit off, as it is considered a prestigious and respected uni. Therefore I would’ve thought it would be harder to get into
On other websites it still seems to be in the 60s(%). Would this be a safe(ish) uni to apply to? Is it really not as hard as I thought getting in?

I was considering Southampton as my safe choice, but it seems to have a low ranking as well as not a high offer rate. I’ve visited and it is really nice tho-what do u think?

I’m considering applying to Cardiff as a backup in case I get lower grades and maybe Sheffield to ensure I get an offer (instead of , say, Exeter)

Also, what do u think about Kent and Lancaster for law? Cardiff hasn’t really clicked with me , so I’ve ventured outside of the Russel group to look for unis with lower offer rates
You have A*AA predictions and you're applying to only 1 A*AA uni, then 4 AAA-ABB unis. Bit of a waste.

Tbh, you'll be applying in several months' time. You needn't spend that much time thinking about where now; just do more research into these unis yourself. Then ask more questions.
Original post by Notoriety
You have A*AA predictions and you're applying to only 1 A*AA uni, then 4 AAA-ABB unis. Bit of a waste.

Tbh, you'll be applying in several months' time. You needn't spend that much time thinking about where now; just do more research into these unis yourself. Then ask more questions.

True true
As for applying for less than I’m capable of, unis really don’t read into predicted grades much, as they aren’t reliable cause schools are bias
But yeah
Agreed with Padawan Johan.

And unis do read into predicted grades. Dunno where you got that line from, OP.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Notoriety
Agreed with Padawan Johan.

And unis do read into predicted grades. Dunno where you got that line from, OP.

Unis recognise that it is no real indication of your future a level grades, and your GCSEs are actually a more telling factor. Hence the ALIS test
Predicted grades will be a consideration, I acknowledge that,
And I know the approach of different unis (of looking at applications) ranges
But overall they don’t really help that much..
I’m planning on applying to Durham and Nottingham as my higher choices, a few more in the middle, and then only 1 lower offer uni such as Cardiff/Lancaster/Kent
Sorry for the confusion
Also I thought Lancaster and Kent were quite highly regarded (along with unis such as Manchester) for law? Ok they’re not Russell group, but aren’t they still respectable unis? They seem to rank well

Ur perception of Durham seems right tbh unfortunately
I just hope 5A*s 4As and 1B is enough

That’s annoying about data on Durham!
Unis recognise that it is no real indication of your future a level grades, and your GCSEs are actually a more telling factor. Hence the ALIS test
Predicted grades will be a consideration, I acknowledge that,
And I know the approach of different unis (of looking at applications) ranges
But overall they don’t really help that much..

I suggest you try applying to LSE with AAB predictions and see how little LSE reads into your predictions. Predictions are a bit weak, but ultimately they're the main data that unis use in conjunction with the LNAT. GCSEs generally play the smallest role -- look at Bristol, 20% weighting to GCSEs and 40% weighting to A-Level predictions or achieved grades. The other 40% on the LNAT. Source: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media/undergraduate/admissions-statements/2019/law.pdf

Your speculation, perhaps informed by your dastardly teachers, is grossly unhelpful to other users who might come by this thread.
Okay thanks. Do u know any other alternative unis for Exeter/Warwick (law)?

That’s comforting, as my predicted grades are likely to be strong. I guess I have to look at different unis to see how the weightings differ tho

Anyway I’ll try to stop overthinking and try to do well in everything cause after all I have no control over the weightings :smile:
Reply 11
True true
As for applying for less than I’m capable of, unis really don’t read into predicted grades much, as they aren’t reliable cause schools are bias
But yeah

Unless you are applying to Cambridge or Oxford you don't need to have decided on *any* of your other choices until January next year. You only need to apply to Oxbridge by the 15th October, all the rest can be added as and when you like afterwards.

There's no rush. Focus on your studies for now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Unless you are applying to Cambridge or Oxford you don't need to have decided on *any* of your other choices until January next year. You only need to apply to Oxbridge by the 15th October, all the rest can be added as and when you like afterwards.

There's no rush. Focus on your studies for now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I plan to have a good idea of all unis and visited open days by the end of summer
After that, life gets busy, with the LNAT, U6th coursework , PS drafting, and actual exams (I’m taking geog AS before xmas)
So I’m just doing research now so it doesn’t creep up on me
Dw, I’m on track with my school work, but I get what ur saying
Good to know, definitely gonna have to go to open days.. otherwise It’d be so hard to decide🤧

Thank you for including the offer rates!
I think I will be more aspirational in my choices :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending