The Student Room Group

Arkwright scholarship information

I am thinking of applying for the arkwright scholarship does anyone have any tips for either my application or the aptitude test ?

Scroll to see replies

I'm applying too but I'm slightly concerned about the additional product we have to make
Original post by Starjalsha
I am thinking of applying for the arkwright scholarship does anyone have any tips for either my application or the aptitude test ?

Try not to stress to much. It’s not a big deal if you get it or not.

In terms of tips. For the aptitude test I’d say try and have a quick look at some materials info, know a couple of ways of joining plastic, wood and maybe metal. And know the names of a couple of different types of material and vaguely what they are good for.

I’d say it is worth giving a practice paper a try so you can get a feel for designing something in the time limit.

Not sure exactly what you mean by the additional product as it may have changed slightly since I applied. But for my project I didn’t have anything I’d made in school to use so I followed the start of one of their ideas. I made a hydraulic arm crane thing. But instead of magnets I added a claw mechanism and built a base etc to make it into a very bad version of an arcade claw game. (It broke very regularly!). At interview I also ended up taking my laptop to show my computing project of a Caesar cipher encryption software.
Wow that sounds so cool!
Reply 4
Hey has anyone received emails yet
Reply 5
Original post by Piza
Hey has anyone received emails yet

I haven’t yet, do you know when we are meant to find out about it?
Reply 6
It says late February on the hand book so anytime till Thursday 😬
Reply 7
Original post by Piza
It says late February on the hand book so anytime till Thursday 😬

Ahhh that’s so soon bit scared to be honest don’t really think i’ll get it

i applied too, my friend in the year above who got accepted said we should find out tomorrow.
Reply 9
Original post by will0power
i applied too, my friend in the year above who got accepted said we should find out tomorrow.

Ahhh wowww hope we get it !! 🙏:smile:
Oooooh I'm really curious too!
Reply 11
Ahhh wowww hope we get it !! 🙏:smile:

Good luck guys !!
Do we get informed if we didn't make it?
Reply 13

Neither, I ran out of timeee but who knows
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by clubby789
Do we get informed if we didn't make it?

I hope so I would need the closure
Original post by Piza
Neither, I ran out of timeee but who knows

Same! The aptitude test was so hard! Which questions did you do?
Thanks by the way I just realised never thanked you!
Original post by Snoozinghamster
Try not to stress to much. It’s not a big deal if you get it or not.

In terms of tips. For the aptitude test I’d say try and have a quick look at some materials info, know a couple of ways of joining plastic, wood and maybe metal. And know the names of a couple of different types of material and vaguely what they are good for.

I’d say it is worth giving a practice paper a try so you can get a feel for designing something in the time limit.

Not sure exactly what you mean by the additional product as it may have changed slightly since I applied. But for my project I didn’t have anything I’d made in school to use so I followed the start of one of their ideas. I made a hydraulic arm crane thing. But instead of magnets I added a claw mechanism and built a base etc to make it into a very bad version of an arcade claw game. (It broke very regularly!). At interview I also ended up taking my laptop to show my computing project of a Caesar cipher encryption software.
Original post by Piza
Good luck guys !!

You too!!
Thanks by the way I just realised never thanked you!

No problem!

Hope the aptitude Test went well. Do you know about interviews yet?
Nope but apparently the results should come out tomorrow. The aptitude test was so hard I didn’t know anything and had barely any time! When did yours come out?

Original post by Snoozinghamster
No problem!

Hope the aptitude Test went well. Do you know about interviews yet?

Quick Reply

Latest