The Student Room Group

Irwin Mitchell video interview

Has anyone completed the PLS video interview for Irwin Mitchell? All advice/any tips gratefully received!
Hi, I completed it recently and managed to get an assessment centre which was nice! The only advice I can really give is breathing, practice before you start as there is no going back once you start it, do a practice question they offer, have a clear background, speak clearly, actually answer the question and not something you pre-planned! Smile, wear smart clothing and LOOK AT THE CAMERA as they will notice if you are staring somewhere else. This is literally just a chance for them to get to know you a little better, I know it seems daunting but it is normal and they are not there to trip you up! Which area is it for? Mine was for Sheffield:smile: My experience of the firm is that they are so lovely - this is my second year of applying and each year they have been amazing! Sorry if this is all too late which I suspect it is but let me know how it went!
Original post by jlma94
Has anyone completed the PLS video interview for Irwin Mitchell? All advice/any tips gratefully received!
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply! The video interview went well and I have an assessment centre (for Manchester) tomorrow, how did yours go at Sheffield? Hope it went well! If you have any tips for the assessment centre that would be really helpful!
Original post by bethc1998
Hi, I completed it recently and managed to get an assessment centre which was nice! The only advice I can really give is breathing, practice before you start as there is no going back once you start it, do a practice question they offer, have a clear background, speak clearly, actually answer the question and not something you pre-planned! Smile, wear smart clothing and LOOK AT THE CAMERA as they will notice if you are staring somewhere else. This is literally just a chance for them to get to know you a little better, I know it seems daunting but it is normal and they are not there to trip you up! Which area is it for? Mine was for Sheffield:smile: My experience of the firm is that they are so lovely - this is my second year of applying and each year they have been amazing! Sorry if this is all too late which I suspect it is but let me know how it went!
Hi wow, well done and good luck for tomorrow!! Honestly just be yourself at the assessment centre and don't overthink things. Remember to be professional but don't be robotic and just don't stress if you feel like it hasn't gone the best! I personally wasn't the happiest but 1) everyone thinks it hasn't gone the best - its human nature to panic a little and overthink things but also 2) no matter what happens it is an invaluable experience! + like I said they are lovely people! I think you will have the same HR woman we had as she is travelling and she is so funny and really puts you at ease!
Original post by jlma94
Thank you for your reply! The video interview went well and I have an assessment centre (for Manchester) tomorrow, how did yours go at Sheffield? Hope it went well! If you have any tips for the assessment centre that would be really helpful!
Hey how did the assessment centre go? :smile:
Reply 5
I've just been invited to complete a video interview for a BLS vac scheme. Has anyone else done it yet? If so what were the questions like? Also for anyone who completed it last year, do you remember if they were competency, strengths based or about commercial awareness?
Original post by riannalaw
I've just been invited to complete a video interview for a BLS vac scheme. Has anyone else done it yet? If so what were the questions like? Also for anyone who completed it last year, do you remember if they were competency, strengths based or about commercial awareness?

Hey, have you done it yet? Thinking it'll just be competencies but not sure...
Reply 7
Anyone complete the VI for BLS yet? If so what were the questions like?
Reply 8
I have an interview to complete that's due in 3 days (20th November) does anyone have any advice
Reply 9
Original post by jlma94

Hey!

While I have not completed the Irwin Mitchell video interview, I could give some more general advice on video interviews. You are often presented with questions on "why the firm?", "why commercial law?", "how did you handle a difficult situation?" or similar questions that try to test your interest in the firm, in commercial law, and your competencies. I would practice before the interview to make sure that the delivery is good and that your answer can fit within the timeframe. Another tip is to try to make eye contact with the camera and try to smile every once in a while so that you give off friendly vibes. There are also courses online that could offer you preparation for video interviews. For instance, I know the Commercial Law Academy offers one.
Reply 10
Original post by han0134x
I have an interview to complete that's due in 3 days (20th November) does anyone have any advice
Hi, I have to do the interview by Thursday, how did yours go? What sort of questions did they ask?
Reply 11
Original post by katie7888
Hi, I have to do the interview by Thursday, how did yours go? What sort of questions did they ask?

Hi do you mind me asking what they asked you? Did you find it easy?

Quick Reply

Latest