The Student Room Group

How much is my insurance premium likely to rise?

I've had a minor car accident. I was reversing in my road (which is just wide enough for a large van to drive down, between the parked cars) and went too far to one side, so that my back end scraped along the side of a parked car. I notified the owner, and he stated he intends to make an insurance claim for the damage.

I'm 18 and in my first year of driving, so I've got no NCB or anything. I have a sweet deal with Admiral, at £800 for 6000 miles p/a with a black box. I fear this may rise considerably next year though.
So my question is: people who have had similar accidents, how much did your insurance premium go up?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by CrazyConnor
I've had a minor car accident. I was reversing in my road (which is just wide enough for a large van to drive down, between the parked cars) and went too far to one side, so that my back end scraped along the side of a parked car. I notified the owner, and he stated he intends to make an insurance claim for the damage.

I'm 18 and in my first year of driving, so I've got no NCB or anything. I have a sweet deal with Admiral, at £800 for 6000 miles p/a with a black box. I fear this may rise considerably next year though.
So my question is: people who have had similar accidents, how much did your insurance premium go up?

No one can answer this question for you, sorry!
Original post by IWMTom
No one can answer this question for you, sorry!

Well thank you very much! If you actually read the whole post, rather than just the title, you'd see that I asked how much other people's premiums rose by, after having similar accidents. I'm pretty sure people can answer that.
Well thank you very much! If you actually read the whole post, rather than just the title, you'd see that I asked how much other people's premiums rose by, after having similar accidents. I'm pretty sure people can answer that.

No matter if people tell you how much it went up by, it won't help you and is basically useless information.

Get your own quotes. Sorry if it seems a bit blunt, but we get asked similar questions a lot.
Reply 4

@RoyalSheepy has summed up everything I would have replied to you.
so my experience
was 18, insurance was around £1100
didn't stop in time, rear ended a car. claimed
next year insurance was £1500. :frown:
Original post by RoyalSheepy
No matter if people tell you how much it went up by, it won't help you and is basically useless information.

Get your own quotes. Sorry if it seems a bit blunt, but we get asked similar questions a lot.

Right. My policy's still got 9 months to run, so I can't get quotes yet. And I know it won't help me per se, as everyone's circumstances are different, but I wanted to know about other people's experiences, so I can either stop worrying so much, or have good reason to worry.
Original post by tesconyc
so my experience
was 18, insurance was around £1100
didn't stop in time, rear ended a car. claimed
next year insurance was £1500. :frown:

£400 rise? Jeez, that's a fair bit...
Reply 8
Right. My policy's still got 9 months to run, so I can't get quotes yet. And I know it won't help me per se, as everyone's circumstances are different, but I wanted to know about other people's experiences, so I can either stop worrying so much, or have good reason to worry.

You could always plug your details in to a comparison site anyway - there's nothing to stop you doing that.

Just to contribute to your need for data (albeit irrelevant), my insurance actually went DOWN after losing 2 years NCB and having an at-fault claim after a minor shunt in a car park.

£800 to £700.
Original post by IWMTom
You could always plug your details in to a comparison site anyway - there's nothing to stop you doing that.

Just to contribute to your need for data (albeit irrelevant), my insurance actually went DOWN after losing 2 years NCB and having an at-fault claim after a minor shunt in a car park.

£800 to £700.

You're right. Sorry, I'm new to all this insurance malarkey. My dad did most of the paperwork for this years insurance, I just paid the bill XD
It's interesting that your insurance should drop though...
Reply 10
You're right. Sorry, I'm new to all this insurance malarkey. My dad did most of the paperwork for this years insurance, I just paid the bill XD
It's interesting that your insurance should drop though...

I thought the same! Was honestly preparing for my insurer to rip me to shreds. Admiral too, by the way.
Original post by IWMTom
I thought the same! Was honestly preparing for my insurer to rip me to shreds. Admiral too, by the way.

Huh, maybe there's a little bit of hope for me after all. I'll just have to wait and see, I guess.
Original post by IWMTom

£800 to £700.

Why do you have such bad attitude problems
Reply 13
Original post by Fighter365

Excuse me?

I wouldn't say it was an attitude problem. Maybe IWMTom could have been a bit less blunt, but I totally understand why they reacted the way they did.
I wouldn't say it was an attitude problem. Maybe IWMTom could have been a bit less blunt, but I totally understand why they reacted the way they did.

No not just this I meant in general whenever I’ve asked for help, they have just been arrogant to be honest
Reply 16
No not just this I meant in general whenever I’ve asked for help, they have just been arrogant to be honest

Blunt? Yes. Arrogant? No.
Reply 17
Original post by IWMTom
having an at-fault claim after a minor shunt in a car park.

And here I was thinking you were the perfect driver, flabbergasted :laugh:
Reply 18
Original post by xDron3
And here I was thinking you were the perfect driver, flabbergasted :laugh:

No one's perfect :wink:

If you ask me, it's you which likes causing the arguments...

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest