The Student Room Group

My last year of a levels GYG

Hi everyone this is my grow your grades thread where I will be keeping you updated about my journey through a levels.

Here is a little about me:

I am in my second year of a levels studying biology ,chemistry and maths.I have applied for a biology degree but currently I am doubting whether this is the degree I actually want to do.I have applied to Bristol,Warwick,Bath,Manchester and Edinburgh.I have an interview with Manchester and no offers or rejections from the others.

My Predicted grades:

Biology-A
Chemistry-C
Maths:B

My GCSE grades:

9-English language
8-English literature
7-Maths
A*-Biology, chemistry, physics, community language, history
A-Religious studies, French
B-computer science (really regret taking it but the coding part was fun)
C-art (my greatest regret I don't know what I was thinking)

Future plans:

I originally wanted to study medicine but unfortunately a levels have not went to plan and I didn't get an AAA prediction.At the moment I am thinking of doing a biology degree and doing medicine after.I am quite tempted to do a Mandarin degree at SOAS I think I would genuinely enjoy doing it however the employment prospects aren't very certain and I don't want to be a translator or an English teacher in China or Taiwan.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Best of luck :rave:
I couldn't sleep very well last night I kept waking up every hour I feel exhausted.I cycled on my spinning bike for an hour last night I managed to cycle 12 miles in a hour (I am only a beginner) I thought I would sleep well after doing exercise but that didn't happen.Yesterday I went to the library for 4 hours and did some work.I did a biology AS paper 1 I just scrapped with an A which is worrying as depending on the examiner I may have received a high B if this was the real exam.I also looked at A2 binomial expansion just a quick recap I still don't understand approximations though.I made a chickpea and sweet potato curry last night for today it turned out ok.Today I plan on going to the library again for a bit but not sure how it will turn out as I feel quite tired.
Yesterday I went to the library but only did 1 hour 30 of work as I felt irritated so went home.I am trying to re do some maths questions that I didn't understand the first time round but can't concentrate.I am going back to school tomorrow I am dreading it.
Original post by Anonymous1502
Yesterday I went to the library but only did 1 hour 30 of work as I felt irritated so went home.I am trying to re do some maths questions that I didn't understand the first time round but can't concentrate.I am going back to school tomorrow I am dreading it.

Don’t be worried. Just work hard and efficiently. Not everyone can spend hours revising. Look up ways on spending time revising and getting some work done.

1 hour 30 min of work is pretty impressive. Relax and then get your head back to your studies. Having a regulated routine helps.
Original post by Professional G
Don’t be worried. Just work hard and efficiently. Not everyone can spend hours revising. Look up ways on spending time revising and getting some work done.

1 hour 30 min of work is pretty impressive. Relax and then get your head back to your studies. Having a regulated routine helps.

Thank you for the encouraging message much appreciated.
Thank you for the encouraging message much appreciated.

You’re welcome.
Also I think you should expect responses from your unis around March since many aim to give offers before the end of March :smile:
Monday was ok we just looked at mass spectroscopy in chemistry and looked at the light independent reaction in biology.In maths I just did some work on my laptop to prepare myself for the resit after lunch.I had a free before lunch so I continued to practice more maths questions.I think I did ok at the resit it was the exact same paper we did during mocks.I think I managed to get the trigonometry questions right.I still can't do 3 questions on that paper I will need to ask for some help to make sure I can do them eventually.
I studied for 2 hours in the library.I looked at hypothesis testing and started looking at A2 analytical techniques.I found out I was rejected from Bristol I feel quite disappointed as it took them quite a while to get back to me yet it was bad news.I hope to get an offer from Warwick and Manchester.I have a feeling that Bath and Edinburgh will also reject me.
I studied for 2 hours in the library.I looked at hypothesis testing and started looking at A2 analytical techniques.I found out I was rejected from Bristol I feel quite disappointed as it took them quite a while to get back to me yet it was bad news.I hope to get an offer from Warwick and Manchester.I have a feeling that Bath and Edinburgh will also reject me.

:console: hey hope your ok dw u got this dont give up :rave: :hugs:

Aww that’s sad to hear. I hope you feel better. Take it as someone who got rejected from three of his five choices. Each rejection should make you stronger. Don’t fret on these rejections, focus on the ones who haven’t responded.
To which universities did you apply? (if you don't mind sharing)
To which universities did you apply? (if you don't mind sharing)

Surrey (rejected)
Bath(took too long)
Kent (rejected)
St George (Rejected)
Kingston (accepted)

UCAS extra:
Warwick (accepted, firmed :smile:

I nearly gave up after all the rejections but I got myself together again and worked hard.
(edited 5 years ago)
Surrey (rejected)
Bath(took too long)
Kent (rejected)
St George (Rejected)
Kingston (accepted)

UCAS extra:
Warwick (accepted, firmed :smile:

I nearly gave up after all the rejections but I got myself together again and worked hard.

How does UCAS extra work?How do you know which courses you can apply for?
How does UCAS extra work?How do you know which courses you can apply for?

Basically once you have rejected all your choices. You can choose to go to UCAS extra where until June, you have unlimited chances but must apply to one uni at a time. Calling or emailing a uni is the preferred option. Ask if they have space on a course and tell them your predicted grades, if they say it’s okay, apply.
Basically once you have rejected all your choices. You can choose to go to UCAS extra where until June, you have unlimited chances but must apply to one uni at a time. Calling or emailing a uni is the preferred option. Ask if they have space on a course and tell them your predicted grades, if they say it’s okay, apply.

Thank you for letting me know.I can't believe Kent and Surrey rejected you but Warwick accepted.
Thank you for letting me know.I can't believe Kent and Surrey rejected you but Warwick accepted.

You’re welcome. I couldn’t believe it either but it’s their loss. I’m here enjoying myself and I’m glad I got accepted.
Today was a very long day I had 2 frees in the morning I absolutely hate morning frees as by the time you start lessons you are already tired.I prefer to have lessons in the morning as you can get through them when you have most energy.I did more hypothesis testing, which I think I understand now which makes me quite happy.As soon as I am done going through the AS hypothesis testing I want to move on to A2 hypothesis testing.I don't know where to get started when it comes to chemistry.By the end of the week we will be done with Biology and Chemistry content.Only statistics left in maths and we are done with all content.
I am trying to get back to my 5am start routine, today I woke up at 5 and finished writing up my core practical.I am feeling rather tired and not too motivated.I know what it is that I need to do but it seems like I am making too much excuses and just need to get on with the work.I am struggling to work during my frees I don't think that school is a great environment to study as it is open plan so it is not that quiet.I wish we had study rooms with desks.
I am trying to get back to my 5am start routine, today I woke up at 5 and finished writing up my core practical.I am feeling rather tired and not too motivated.I know what it is that I need to do but it seems like I am making too much excuses and just need to get on with the work.I am struggling to work during my frees I don't think that school is a great environment to study as it is open plan so it is not that quiet.I wish we had study rooms with desks.

I’m feeling the same. For some reason, I don’t feel as motivated as I should be. I have no idea why. I just need to get back to work.

I’m surprised you don’t have study rooms at school. I thought they were common in every sixth form?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending