The Student Room Group

Non-consensual dual citizenship

My mum is from Russia and apparently I have a dual citizenship. It was apparently granted when I was very young without my knowledge (or perhaps I don't remember). I have heard that there are downsides to having a dual citizenship such as having to pay tax to both countries? I've never worked so I don't really understand what this means but does it mean my taxes will basically be x2 what they normally would be? Also apparently I am bound to the law of both countries so I could be arrested by some laws I have never even heard of. What are my rights and how can I get rid of my dual citizenship, quite frankly I want nothing to do with that filthy country :wink: Thanks
Original post by YasudaSayo
My mum is from Russia and apparently I have a dual citizenship. It was apparently granted when I was very young without my knowledge (or perhaps I don't remember). I have heard that there are downsides to having a dual citizenship such as having to pay tax to both countries? I've never worked so I don't really understand what this means but does it mean my taxes will basically be x2 what they normally would be? Also apparently I am bound to the law of both countries so I could be arrested by some laws I have never even heard of. What are my rights and how can I get rid of my dual citizenship, quite frankly I want nothing to do with that filthy country :wink: Thanks

Wait, how old are you?
Never knew you have to pay tax to both countries? I’m not sure how that works tbh
Umm......don't think you do have to pay tax to two countries?
I'm dual citizenship and have never heard of that
Reply 3
Original post by Professional G
Wait, how old are you?
Never knew you have to pay tax to both countries? I’m not sure how that works tbh

I'm 18. I didn't know of this either until googling it and now I'm a tad worried 😅
Reply 4
Original post by AzureCeleste
Umm......don't think you do have to pay tax to two countries?
I'm dual citizenship and have never heard of that

dunno something along those lines came up when googling it, hopefully it was just *******s haha
Reply 5
I'm 18. I didn't know of this either until googling it and now I'm a tad worried 😅

What did you find via Google? Can you provide a link...
dunno something along those lines came up when googling it, hopefully it was just *******s haha

Yeah no....
I just did a quick google and there was something about that relating to the US but if that's not your second nationality then it won't be a problem
I’m a dual national and I don’t pay taxes to the second country because I don’t live or work there. I think it’s only the US that has that system.

You don't usually have to pay dual taxes but the US has some crazy rule about its citizens living overseas having to pay income tax on overseas earnings unless there's an agreement with the country of residence. I think that's what you are thinking of.

If the country has national service, you can sometimes be liable for that, that's something to check. Argentina said if my grandfather entered the country (aged about 69) he would be arrested for not having done his national service, despite leaving the country when he was 3 years old!
Reply 9
Original post by threeportdrift
You don't usually have to pay dual taxes but the US has some crazy rule about its citizens living overseas having to pay income tax on overseas earnings unless there's an agreement with the country of residence. I think that's what you are thinking of.

If the country has national service, you can sometimes be liable for that, that's something to check. Argentina said if my grandfather entered the country (aged about 69) he would be arrested for not having done his national service, despite leaving the country when he was 3 years old!

What do you mean by national service?
Reply 10
Original post by Doonesbury
What did you find via Google? Can you provide a link...

It's alright, I've concluded that this is only the case for US citizens. Thank you for your reply :smile:

Conscription. When young people (often only men) have to join the country's armed forces for a period of time, usually between school and university.
Reply 12
Original post by threeportdrift
Conscription. When young people (often only men) have to join the country's armed forces for a period of time, usually between school and university.

Ah that doesn't concern me then, I'm a very lucky young lady :wink: Thanks for the reply!
Reply 13

Compulsory military service. Quite a few countries do it.

I’m certain it’s for US citizens??

Good cause I was so scared for a second. I’m just a poor first year student 😭
Reply 15
It's alright, I've concluded that this is only the case for US citizens. Thank you for your reply :smile:

Correct.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/500347/russia-dtc_-_in_force.pdf

Your mother will have applied for you to have Russian nationality by descent. It is quite common to acquire nationality that way.

I don't believe Russia has the same approach to taxation as, for example, the USA. An US citizen is subject to taxation on all worldwide income whether she is resident there or not. However, even the IRS has policies to avoid double taxation.

The main issue for you is if you ever visit Mother Russia. If any trouble were to befall you there, Her Britannic Majesty's consular representatives would only be able to give you very limited support. Essentially, you would be dealt with by the Russian authorities in all respects as a Russian.

Furthermore (and yes I know you are a woman), if in Russia you would be subject to any laws regarding conscription to military service.

The last thing of course (and this may never have crossed your mind), should you go off to be a Jihadi bride, the Home Secretary could strip you of your British citizenship due to the Russian citizenship you also hold. [Warning: President Putin's government would not give you a warm welcome if you had to go to Russia for that reason!]

If you really do want to quit being a Russian, there will be a form available for that purpose in the Russian Embassy. They may well charge you a fee, and the process could take some time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending