The Student Room Group

I'm skipping my mocks

We had some last summer, last December and now some more coming up. It's been really rushed and they're all happening in the space of a week - so that's 18 hours exams next week. We already have fortnightly exams that are marked and I do a lot of extra questions- I'm revising pretty heavily nowadays as I found out our student leave is only one week. If I do these mocks I will definitely burn out before the real exams that are less than 3 months away. I will be missing a day out anyway for a uni interview so I just don't see the point. Is this a bad idea?
Reply 1
I think you should do your mocks. Try and get in some practice while you can! Test your knowledge and see what you have to improve on when you get your mock results. Good luck :biggrin:
I don't think you should skip it. I have actually wanted to skip my mock exams numerous times since the beginning of the year in which we've had two separate mock exams and now I am actually in a mock week. It's hella stress and I've literally come on her to just calm my nerves since I have Biology and Spanish tomorrow. I, too, have three interviews next week in which I'm missing my English Lit exam but the rest are after school. I've spoken to my teacher about this and she has agreed for me to sit it the very next day in the morning before my next exam starts. Don't worry! You won't be worn out at all, just cram lots of information and past papers if you can get ahold of some before the exam day if you don't want to disrupt your studying routine. This will really help you get a brief idea of where your at even if it isn't accurate since you haven't revised properly or anything like that. Then maybe have like a weekend break and then start on doing a bit- by- bit revision again the next week, picking up where you left off. Good luck anyway! Hope you make the right decision.
I don't really get this? You say you've done loads of revision, so just turn up to the exams as you're already prepared. If anything it just sounds like you can't be bothered, which isn't the greatest attitude to have this close to exams.

You don't see the point but your school does. Your marks will reflect which areas you need to focus on revision wise, and which you can concentrate on less so. I'd do them, you can only gain from it.
Original post by aj27cross
I don't really get this? You say you've done loads of revision, so just turn up to the exams as you're already prepared. If anything it just sounds like you can't be bothered, which isn't the greatest attitude to have this close to exams.

You don't see the point but your school does. Your marks will reflect which areas you need to focus on revision wise, and which you can concentrate on less so. I'd do them, you can only gain from it.

That's the vibe I was getting too! Lol! but I'm pretty sure she doesn't mean it the negative way. Let's hope because then it wouldn't be so good when it comes to the real thing!
Original post by aj27cross

Original post by Studierrrrr
That's the vibe I was getting too! Lol! but I'm pretty sure she doesn't mean it the negative way. Let's hope because then it wouldn't be so good when it comes to the real thing!

I have revised my ass off for the past 3 months trying to get my grades up and I don't know about you but there's only so much effort I can put in before I burnout soooo actually I CAN be bothered. I just don't want to have no motivation or effort left for the real exams so I care more for them than you realise. I cannot even see where it was implied as I said I do lots of practice questions anyways?? Oh and the school has done very little to support me so idc what they want lol
Woah, I wasn't trying to get at you, I even stated that I don't think it's in a negative way at all that you don't want to do the exam. I gave you tips and advice. But if you're just skipping exams that are particularly important for seeing where you are at, it may come off as unbothered to some people. You won't burn out in the exams. You might feel stressed, panicky, crumbled but you won't just stop revising after it. Getting your grades back might help motivate you too! Once the week is over, you'll feel so much better about yourself. I don't know. It's up to you.
Original post by Violet Days
I have revised my ass off for the past 3 months trying to get my grades up and I don't know about you but there's only so much effort I can put in before I burnout soooo actually I CAN be bothered. I just don't want to have no motivation or effort left for the real exams so I care more for them than you realise. I cannot even see where it was implied as I said I do lots of practice questions anyways?? Oh and the school has done very little to support me so idc what they want lol
Original post by Studierrrrr
Woah, I wasn't trying to get at you, I even stated that I don't think it's in a negative way at all that you don't want to do the exam. I gave you tips and advice. But if you're just skipping exams that are particularly important for seeing where you are at, it may come off as unbothered to some people. You won't burn out in the exams. You might feel stressed, panicky, crumbled but you won't just stop revising after it. Getting your grades back might help motivate you too! Once the week is over, you'll feel so much better about yourself. I don't know. It's up to you.

It was more aimed at @aj27cross talking about my attitude which was just so inaccurate and insulting to me when I have worked myself to literal tears to go from D's to A's. Sorry if I was a bit snappy to you x And I do feel all those things- I'm just on the verge of a breakdown because of stress and so didn't want to shutdown 2 months before exams. Thankyou for your advice and tips :smile: x
It was more aimed at @aj27cross talking about my attitude which was just so inaccurate and insulting to me when I have worked myself to literal tears to go from D's to A's. Sorry if I was a bit snappy to you x And I do feel all those things- I'm just on the verge of a breakdown because of stress and so didn't want to shutdown 2 months before exams. Thankyou for your advice and tips :smile: x

I was only giving you advice on what you said, if you don't want it don't ask for it, or be careful how you word things because that's how you came across. If you choose not to do something that your teachers who have a far greater experience than most on here in getting those grades suggest, then it comes across as not bothered. I didn't intend to offend you, but if anything, now is the time to knuckle down, not relax so you don't 'burn out'.
(edited 5 years ago)
We had some last summer, last December and now some more coming up. It's been really rushed and they're all happening in the space of a week - so that's 18 hours exams next week. We already have fortnightly exams that are marked and I do a lot of extra questions- I'm revising pretty heavily nowadays as I found out our student leave is only one week. If I do these mocks I will definitely burn out before the real exams that are less than 3 months away. I will be missing a day out anyway for a uni interview so I just don't see the point. Is this a bad idea?

Speak to your teacher(s) and see if they understand the situation. It would not be a good idea to miss out on mocks no matter how pointless it may seem. I am doing A levels at the moment and I would say that the mocks are partly revision material anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest