The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Endcliffe is the safe option, it's lively, everyone is there or nearby (Ranmoor, then Crookesmoor and Crookes if you have upper year friends), close to Broomhill which has a few shopping an eating options. Most of the accommodation is pretty modern and all of the older accommodation comes with massive rooms and a very strong community vibe.

With Endcliffe there is the risk of getting catered accommodation but as long as you can handle not cooking for yourself I wouldn't say it's too bad, at least when I was in it the food was reasonable and the trick was to get lunch and dinner on the card then breakfast and weekend lunches with cash. It's pretty nice not having to cook and it adds to the community because everyone eats together. The shared bathroom catered housing is lot better value than the normal en-suite rooms too as worst case scenario it's only about £200 more but you get the large majority of your meals covered, and in some cases it's actually cheaper before even considering meals. Because it's older accommodation you get larger rooms too unless you get stuck in Stephenson South Wing.

Ranmoor is the next option, it's still close to everyone or nearby but a little quieter, relatively close to Broomhill, modern accommodation. If you're on the east end of Ranmoor your commute to uni can be about the same as someone from the middle of Endcliffe. The downsides are that it is quieter and in general it is a bit further, in some cases you might want to consider a bike.

City is the third option. It's close to the uni and the city centre but it's not close to the other villages, and it will be an absolute trek for you to get to them as you won't be used to either the distance or the hills. A large proportion of it is in the modern Allen Court and now Sheffield 3, however some of it is in Broad Lane Court which is older and can be quite badly maintained. More internationals live in city so it is a bit quieter, or rather those gatherings will be less accessible by you, however more and more internationals are going into private halls now due to better value so it's less of an issue than it used to be and so City is still quite lively.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by Helloworld_95
Endcliffe is the safe option, it's lively, everyone is there or nearby (Ranmoor, then Crookesmoor and Crookes if you have upper year friends), close to Broomhill which has a few shopping an eating options. Most of the accommodation is pretty modern and all of the older accommodation comes with massive rooms and a very strong community vibe.

With Endcliffe there is the risk of getting catered accommodation but as long as you can handle not cooking for yourself I wouldn't say it's too bad, at least when I was in it the food was reasonable and the trick was to get lunch and dinner on the card then breakfast and weekend lunches with cash. It's pretty nice not having to cook and it adds to the community because everyone eats together. The shared bathroom catered housing is lot better value than the normal en-suite rooms too as worst case scenario it's only about £200 more but you get the large majority of your meals covered, and in some cases it's actually cheaper before even considering meals. Because it's older accommodation you get larger rooms too unless you get stuck in Stephenson South Wing.

Ranmoor is the next option, it's still close to everyone or nearby but a little quieter, relatively close to Broomhill, modern accommodation. If you're on the east end of Ranmoor your commute to uni can be about the same as someone from the middle of Endcliffe. The downsides are that it is quieter and in general it is a bit further, in some cases you might want to consider a bike.

City is the third option. It's close to the uni and the city centre but it's not close to the other villages, and it will be an absolute trek for you to get to them as you won't be used to either the distance or the hills. A large proportion of it is in the modern Allen Court and now Sheffield 3, however some of it is in Broad Lane Court which is older and can be quite badly maintained. More internationals live in city so it is a bit quieter, or rather those gatherings will be less accessible by you, however more and more internationals are going into private halls now due to better value so it's less of an issue than it used to be and so City is still quite lively.

Thank you so much that’s so helpful! I think Endcliffe sounds the best
I personally don't think there is much difference between Endcliffe/Ranmoor apart from that some Endcliffe apartments have 6 people whereas the majority of Ranmoor are all 10 bedroom apartments... Endcliffe has the Village Store which is very handy and the Edge, but everyone hypes up the Edge before you come and in reality no one really ever goes lol. Also I guess quieter, less sociable people are probably more likely to apply for Ranmoor... but it does have the free gym!
Reply 4
Do you know when we are able to apply for the accommodation? And is it first come first serve basis?
Reply 5
I lived in Ranmoor, and I don't think there's any significant difference between Ranmoor and Endcliffe.

Endcliffe has the Edge and the village shop, but you can go to both of those if you live in Ranmoor too. I guess it might take you a couple of extra minutes to walk there, but that depends on which block you live in.

There's not really any difference in the kinds of people who live in each village either. Everybody I knew at Ranmoor actually applied for Endcliffe!

If I had to choose, I'd say Ranmoor's probably better for one main reason - it's quieter at night. People have fun predrinking with their flatmates until it's time to go out, and then they go to Endcliffe to meet people or they go into town. That means that if you're not going out for some reason (maybe you have an exam the next day) you aren't kept up late by shrieking party-goers like the people who live in the noisier areas of Endcliffe.
Reply 6
Original post by g30rg35m1th
I personally don't think there is much difference between Endcliffe/Ranmoor apart from that some Endcliffe apartments have 6 people whereas the majority of Ranmoor are all 10 bedroom apartments... Endcliffe has the Village Store which is very handy and the Edge, but everyone hypes up the Edge before you come and in reality no one really ever goes lol. Also I guess quieter, less sociable people are probably more likely to apply for Ranmoor... but it does have the free gym!

Thank you for the helpful info!!
Reply 7
Original post by Quyen_3
Do you know when we are able to apply for the accommodation? And is it first come first serve basis?

The Website just says March but will look again to see if any date is specified
Reply 8
Original post by Lutra_
I lived in Ranmoor, and I don't think there's any significant difference between Ranmoor and Endcliffe.

Endcliffe has the Edge and the village shop, but you can go to both of those if you live in Ranmoor too. I guess it might take you a couple of extra minutes to walk there, but that depends on which block you live in.

There's not really any difference in the kinds of people who live in each village either. Everybody I knew at Ranmoor actually applied for Endcliffe!

If I had to choose, I'd say Ranmoor's probably better for one main reason - it's quieter at night. People have fun predrinking with their flatmates until it's time to go out, and then they go to Endcliffe to meet people or they go into town. That means that if you're not going out for some reason (maybe you have an exam the next day) you aren't kept up late by shrieking party-goers like the people who live in the noisier areas of Endcliffe.

That’s really good to know, thank you
Reply 9
Original post by kattkj
The Website just says March but will look again to see if any date is specified

Ah okay thank you! Yeah I'm thinking to firm Sheffield so I'm not sure if it's a first come first serve basis for accommodation.
Original post by Lutra_

Thanks for info - it is helpful. What do you mean by the noisier areas of Endcliffe? Are there particular buildings noisier than others?
Yes the main noisier blocks are the front ones near the Edge (Howden and Derwent) and obviously there are some noisier flats within each block
What is Derwent and Froggatt like? Thanks
Yes the main noisier blocks are the front ones near the Edge (Howden and Derwent) and obviously there are some noisier flats within each block

When applying for accommodation can you chose what block your in, or is it just the campus (endcliffe) ?
When I applied I could but it was like a beta system so usually not no
Original post by Quyen_3
When applying for accommodation can you chose what block your in, or is it just the campus (endcliffe) ?
Froggatt, Yarncliffe and Burbage are all not too noisy but still there are a few party flats (and not full of weirdos lol) but it doesn't really matter because it'll only be a pre-drinks most the time. I went for Burbage but i'm unsure whether they let you choose anymore as it was a trial system for our year. Derwent and Howden on the other hand are the major party blocks and there's always booming music on the weekend lol... depends what you're after!
Original post by chateau55
What is Derwent and Froggatt like? Thanks
Froggatt, Yarncliffe and Burbage are all not too noisy but still there are a few party flats (and not full of weirdos lol) but it doesn't really matter because it'll only be a pre-drinks most the time. I went for Burbage but i'm unsure whether they let you choose anymore as it was a trial system for our year. Derwent and Howden on the other hand are the major party blocks and there's always booming music on the weekend lol... depends what you're after!

Thanks for sharing. Useful when I have to make decision.
If anyone could answer any of my questions about Sheffield Endcliffe Accommodation I would be really grateful.

When you are applying for accommodation, can you pick the flat you want to stay in or just whether it’s en-suite or shared bathroom?
Can you say if you want mixed or same sex flats when applying?
And can you see the other people who have applied to that flat when you are applying for it?

Do you think an en-suite room is worth the extra money or not?
Do you know if you can stay in mixed gender flats if you have shared bathrooms?

Thanks so much :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by kattkj
Just firmed my conditional offer for University of Sheffield. Accommodation applications open in March and was just wondering where is best to apply? Looking for the best place with lots of other first year undergraduates and good night life. Heard Endcliffe is the more lively out of Ranmoor/Endcliffe campus, but what about the city accommodation?? Thanks

Hi, I am in the same situation as you for this year. I would be really interested in hearing what you went for and if you would recommend anywhere in Ranmoor/Endcliffe. Thanks
Reply 19
Original post by butler9
Hi, I am in the same situation as you for this year. I would be really interested in hearing what you went for and if you would recommend anywhere in Ranmoor/Endcliffe. Thanks

Hi, I ended up going for Froggatt in Endcliffe. Loved it! A couple of things to bear in mind is that Endcliffe is at the bottom of a hill, so a bit further from uni, whereas Ranmoor is at the top of the hill so you'll have a less tiring walk! The gym that all students in the accommodation can use is in Ranmoor, whereas the Village Store which is just like a little corner shop with food/drink is in Endcliffe, so depending which one you want closer might affect your decision. I can only talk for Endcliffe when I say it wasn't too noisy but there were still lots of chances to have fun. If you have any other questions then please let me know! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending