The Student Room Group

Uni of Salford vs Northumbria for Film Studies

Hi,
I have applied to uni of salford (film studies) and Northumbria Uni (film and tv studies) and have already got unconditional offers but I can’t decide which to firm. From what I’ve heard Salford is not really a good uni, but is Northumbria?

I think the modules at Northumbria are a bit more interesting but I’m not convinced of Newcastle as a city. I need a fun, lively city, with museums, art, events, vegan friendly etc. Is Newcastle like that?
Salford is basically Manchester so that’s a big advantage. Also, I feel like Northumbria is more professional, better Student Union etc.

Can anybody share their opinion on those cities and unis?

Thanks
Original post by oliwiarokowska
Hi,
I have applied to uni of salford (film studies) and Northumbria Uni (film and tv studies) and have already got unconditional offers but I can’t decide which to firm. From what I’ve heard Salford is not really a good uni, but is Northumbria?

I think the modules at Northumbria are a bit more interesting but I’m not convinced of Newcastle as a city. I need a fun, lively city, with museums, art, events, vegan friendly etc. Is Newcastle like that?
Salford is basically Manchester so that’s a big advantage. Also, I feel like Northumbria is more professional, better Student Union etc.

Thanks

I'll tag the official rep for Salford @University of Salford. There isn't one for Northumbria here, I'm afraid :frown:

But I *think* @Pugglet (Hope you don't mind the tag) is a student at Northumbria and might be able to give some insight?
Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Blue_Cow
I'll tag the official rep for Salford @University of Salford. There isn't one for Northumbria here, I'm afraid :frown:

But I *think* @Pugglet (Hope you don't mind the tag) is a student at Northumbria and might be able to give some insight?

Thanks

Hiya yeah I’m current student at Northumbria.
Newcastle as a city is definitely lively and has quite a few museums actually, and art galleries. There are vegan friendly restaurants and cafes and there are always food festivals and markets happening.
It’s a perfect student city. Everyone is really friendly and there is always something to do. I seriously love it and the uni and would recommend it to anyone who asks
Northumbria uni is also friendly and we can hold our own against Newcastle uni ( posh v poly is a highlight of the year) the SU and uni itself is just amazing.
Hi,

Thanks

Hi @oliwiarokowska! Congratulations on both your unconditional offers, that's amazing! :smile:

I'm currently in my third year of studying English Language and Creative Writing at the University of Salford and I am really enjoying it and think our university has a lot of great perks for someone considering Film Studies. I believe on the course most of your classes would be at the MediaCityUK campus which is absolutely gorgeous! There is a bus that runs regularly between our main campus and the MediaCityUK campus which Salford students can ride for free so you'd save money. As well as that the MediaCityUK building is literally next door to organisations such as ITV and the BBC.

Even if you're on the MediaCityUK campus you might be interested in the facilities of the New Adelphi building on the main campus which opened in 2016 and is an incredible building with facilities such as voice acting studios and recording studios. The building even has it's own 350 seat theatre where films are screened that students can get tickets for usually reasonably cheap! 🎭

I've grown up in Manchester my whole life and with the city centre only being a 20 minute walk away from our campus, I can assure you that you would never run out of things to do in Manchester! There's so many restaurants, cafes, museums, bars, cinemas - and a lot take student discount! One of my favourite restaurants in the city centre is actually fully vegan junk food - V Rev Vegan Diner! Vegan festivals have also been held in the city centre too.🌱

If you want to find out a bit more about what there is to do near the University of Salford I'd definitely recommend taking a look at our student-written blog, where me and some other students talk about the fun things to do in-between our studies: https://blogs.salford.ac.uk/made-in-salford/category/out-and-about/

I hope my personal view helps you a little bit! Feel free to ask me anymore specific questions you might have about the University of Salford or living here!🏠:biggrin:
Helena - Student Social Media Assistant

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending