The Student Room Group

(Viewer discretion) So the Momo challenge.....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thought TSR was a bit above buying into whatever the latest silly moral panic is. The only thing this nonsense is being used to scare is impressionable parents, the sort that use Facebook to share chain letters.
NDPCC says that it's a total hoax, a moral panic concotted by adults.

That also said that the moral panic is significantly more likely to cause an increase in self harm than this 'challenge' itself.
Reply 22
Original post by L i b
Thought TSR was a bit above buying into whatever the latest silly moral panic is. The only thing this nonsense is being used to scare is impressionable parents, the sort that use Facebook to share chain letters.

^ Very much this.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2019/02/26/momo-challenge-suicide-game/

#DontPanic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24

how would it be fake when it happened last year and again its happened, people are commenting thats its going around so that means its not fake right
i agree with @JoshDarnIt
Reply 25
Original post by KimNoel
how would it be fake when it happened last year and again its happened, people are commenting thats its going around so that means its not fake right
i agree with @JoshDarnIt

It may or may not be actually fake, but if it's real it's vanishingly rare and not something that merits "panic".

It's the spreading of these stories that contributes to it...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by Doonesbury
It may or may not be actually fake, but if it's real it's vanishingly rare and not something that merits "panic".

Posted from TSR Mobile

i agree with your last point however, if certian people are saying that its not true we are trying to show them that it is, and we are not lying
o
Original post by KimNoel
i agree with @JoshDarnIt

The thing last year was also fake, because people are dumb, impressionable idiots.
Reply 28
Original post by Drewski
The thing last year was also fake, because people are dumb, impressionable idiots.

do you have evidence to prove your points
Original post by KimNoel

Yes, the complete lack of any evidence to suggest that either of the reported phenomena happened.
Original post by Doonesbury

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think this is definitely a big part of it. Even if the whole thing was a hoax to start with, the fact the rumours are out there & have been so widely publicised could have given some troll/ group of trolls the idea to create something like that for real, or if not that, they could simply keep adding to the rumours & fuelling the hoax.
Original post by JoshDarnIt
This was going around last year too, seems its gained some traction again. Whoever is behind this is f*cked in the head man!

Btw, the actual Momo character from what I remember is actually an art prop or something like that made by a Japanese girl I think it was? Don't quote me on that.

Yes, it's from a Japanese art exhibition. It is seriously weird looking though. Looking at that picture creeps me out now & I know what it is, so I can imagine if I'd seen it when I was a young kid, with all the rumours surrounding it, then I would have been properly scared by it
Original post by Alesha1991
Yes, it's from a Japanese art exhibition. It is seriously weird looking though. Looking at that picture creeps me out now & I know what it is, so I can imagine if I'd seen it when I was a young kid, with all the rumours surrounding it, then I would have been properly scared by it

I honestly find it hilarious looking :lol: But yeah I get you fam, seeing it as a kid would just be nightmare inducing.
Reply 33
I honestly find it hilarious looking :lol: But yeah I get you fam, seeing it as a kid would just be nightmare inducing.

do you believe it actually happened i think it did
Original post by KimNoel
do you believe it actually happened i think it did

No idea tbh, I haven't done enough research to determine the validity of it
Reply 35
No idea tbh, I haven't done enough research to determine the validity of it

but if it happened last year and again this year surely then its true
Original post by KimNoel

It's likely it is true, but I'm not one to buy into something without having done my own research on it
Original post by KimNoel

Do some research. It didn't happen last year, it's all complete *******s designed to wind people up and scaremonger.

Read the links that people have posted from Snopes, from the guardian, there's currently an article on the BBC's website... Stop believing nonsense because you think it's amusing.
Original post by KimNoel

Like any manufactured wild web rumour, the 'facts' are deliberately designed to be hard to check - hence the part of the myth that claims that 'dozens of Russian children self-harmed', etc.
Original post by KimNoel
i agree with @JoshDarnIt

The urban myth story circulated last year. That was what happened last year. The content of the urban myth is a myth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending