The Student Room Group

Can someone with dyscalculia pass maths?

Hi,

so in college I was assessed as being at high risk of dyscalculia. I am at university now but still have no maths qualification which I need because of my career plans.

So, is it possible to pass maths as someone who has dyscalculia and does anyone with or at risk of dyscalculia have any tips or advice about how to pass GCSE-level maths?

Thank you!
Original post by LilacRoses
Hi,

so in college I was assessed as being at high risk of dyscalculia. I am at university now but still have no maths qualification which I need because of my career plans.

So, is it possible to pass maths as someone who has dyscalculia and does anyone with or at risk of dyscalculia have any tips or advice about how to pass GCSE-level maths?

Thank you!

Now you're at university, i'd go get a proper diagnosis as a screening test like that doesn't have much weight,if you see an educational psychologist then the report they give you will be able to tell you what your strengths and weakness are so you'll better learn how to work.
Reply 2
So, it is now one year later since I made my post, and I can now say I have passed GCSE maths with a Grade 4!

Here are my own top tips on what helped me in case they might help someone else:

If your teacher or teacher's assistant offers you help - take it - and ask for help when you need it.

Even if you hate maths, do at least half an hour revision for the 4 months leading up to the exam and gradually increase to two hours in the weeks leading up to the exam, but include breaks (10-15 minute tea breaks worked for me). Revision should consist of revision guides, exam worksheets, and past exam papers.

Get revision guides that include questions as well as explanations as practicing maths is the key to knowing what to do in the exam.

Focus your revision on what you find the hardest parts of maths (don't just say algebra, be more specific, like saying "I don't understand expanding brackets":wink:.

In the exam, use all the time given to triple check answers (especially ones you're unsure of). Use any extra time you've been given additionally.

If you don't know a question in the exam, attempt it by writing down what you know related to that area of maths (e.g. if you struggle on a pie chart then you might write "area of a circle = 360 degrees":wink:. It could give you marks by pushing you into the next grade boundary.

Talking through maths with a friend, partner, parent, teacher, can help you understand it better, even if you just read revision notes together.

During exam week, make a mental note of topics that did not appear on your paper to focus your revision on those areas (chances are, they will come up later in the next exams).

Here is a rather specific tip that helped me (but may not work for everyone): I found coloured overlays, i.e. the kind they use for dyslexia, helped me write my numbers correctly in the exam - (and I don't have dyslexia, my assessments ruled that out, it only worked for numbers).

Finally, keep trying! It has taken me 5 attempts to pass maths and today, in my twenties, I finally got my results after years of being told to "try harder" (even though I did try sometimes but always got sick of failing no matter what I did), and after being told I had dyscalculia, and after feeling like I should give up on passing maths, I did it and got the grade I wanted because I decided to give it one last try. I knew my dyscalculia meant I could get my answers wrong and fail again, but I give it one last shot. Now passing my worst subject has boosted my confidence in applying for jobs and my master's degree. It could do the same for you, so if you're thinking about quitting, I suggest trying these tips and giving your maths course one last shot. After all, dyscalculia or not, like me, you could have knowledge and luck on your side :smile:
Reply 3
So, it is now one year later since I made my post, and I can now say I have passed GCSE maths with a Grade 4!

Well done on persevering and passing in the end :smile:
Reply 4

Thanks for sharing your story and well done for passing :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by davros
Well done on persevering and passing in the end :smile:

Thank you so much!
Reply 6
Thank you so much!

Original post by Notnek
Thanks for sharing your story and well done for passing :smile:

Here are my own top tips on what helped me in case they might help someone else:

If your teacher or teacher's assistant offers you help - take it - and ask for help when you need it.

Even if you hate maths, do at least half an hour revision for the 4 months leading up to the exam and gradually increase to two hours in the weeks leading up to the exam, but include breaks (10-15 minute tea breaks worked for me). Revision should consist of revision guides, exam worksheets, and past exam papers.

Get revision guides that include questions as well as explanations as practicing maths is the key to knowing what to do in the exam.

Focus your revision on what you find the hardest parts of maths (don't just say algebra, be more specific, like saying "I don't understand expanding brackets":wink:.

In the exam, use all the time given to triple check answers (especially ones you're unsure of). Use any extra time you've been given additionally.

If you don't know a question in the exam, attempt it by writing down what you know related to that area of maths (e.g. if you struggle on a pie chart then you might write "area of a circle = 360 degrees":wink:. It could give you marks by pushing you into the next grade boundary.

Talking through maths with a friend, partner, parent, teacher, can help you understand it better, even if you just read revision notes together.

During exam week, make a mental note of topics that did not appear on your paper to focus your revision on those areas (chances are, they will come up later in the next exams).

Here is a rather specific tip that helped me (but may not work for everyone): I found coloured overlays, i.e. the kind they use for dyslexia, helped me write my numbers correctly in the exam - (and I don't have dyslexia, my assessments ruled that out, it only worked for numbers).

Finally, keep trying! It has taken me 5 attempts to pass maths and today, in my twenties, I finally got my results after years of being told to "try harder" (even though I did try sometimes but always got sick of failing no matter what I did), and after being told I had dyscalculia, and after feeling like I should give up on passing maths, I did it and got the grade I wanted because I decided to give it one last try. I knew my dyscalculia meant I could get my answers wrong and fail again, but I give it one last shot. Now passing my worst subject has boosted my confidence in applying for jobs and my master's degree. It could do the same for you, so if you're thinking about quitting, I suggest trying these tips and giving your maths course one last shot. After all, dyscalculia or not, like me, you could have knowledge and luck on your side :smile:

Way to go! I have officially now given up on maths. Last time I did a paper I got a measly low 1 for my overall effort. Seriously I did a mock exam paper last summer and failed practically all the questions on it I learned afterwards. A grade four is a real achievement my dear.
Reply 8
Aw, that really sucks to put your effort into it like that and come back with a grade you didn't want :/ I've been in that situation on multiple occasions, but I think failure can sometimes help you grow as a person if you work on your difficulties. Please remember, you failed maths, and you only failed a subject. You can be a very clever person and struggle a lot with maths. It's your choice but if you do want a maths qualification, in colleges there are these functional maths qualifications you can do which are so much easier than GCSE maths, so I found that they built up my confidence when I passed them (it's only pass or fail in functional skills) after I failed to pass maths the first time at school. That said, it's okay to take a break from studying from maths (again, I know it's not possible in school or college, but after that, you can take a break) and you can have some time to think about attempting GCSE or another maths qualifications. I took a break for a year prior to joining my latest maths course.

Of course, you may decide you never want to do it again and I completely respect that; to be honest I would have made the same decision if it wasn't for the fact my career in healthcare demands I pass GCSE maths. But, you may decide you have your own reasons to re-attempt maths again - both are perfectly fine decisions in my opinion, as most adult maths courses teach you the curriculum you need to pass (although if you forget a lot it may take you longer to pass); the point is, as long as you are able to get what you want out of life and are able to function in your life without a GCSE or another maths qualification, then I think not doing maths is 100% a decent decision. I recommend doing your research on any career plans or jobs you may want to pursue (the website Prospects is good for this as well as on any job ads) because unfortunately a lot of employers seem to want maths; I saw maths being advertised to be a receptionist once. Another option could be looking into getting a formal assessment for learning difficulties like dyscalculia or dyslexia etc. as having this on record may make employers more accommodating and view applications more favourably.

Good luck whether you decide to never see the word "maths" again or whether you eventually decide to continue and thank you for your congratulations.

Quick Reply

Latest