The Student Room Group

GCSE English Literature Question 2019

Any predicitons for the themes in the english lit paper? I'm doign Macbeth, Jekyll and Hyde, Inspector Calls and Power and conflict for poems. (AQA)

Scroll to see replies

What was last years question on Macbeth and Jekyll and Hyde
Reply 2
Explain how stevenson creates mystery and tension in jekyll and hyde

Explain how shakespeare presents macbeth and banquos deceitful attitude towards the supernatural
The irony of misspelling predictions
what about inspector calls,chrstmas carol and merchant of venice
Reply 5
Out of interest, is English Literature compulsory for you? Do you enjoy doing it? I wrote an article about why I think it's unnecessary, would you agree?
Original post by notdyls
Out of interest, is English Literature compulsory for you? Do you enjoy doing it? I wrote an article about why I think it's unnecessary, would you agree?

I completely agree, It's a whole load of bull****
For Macbeth I hope its Lady Macbeth- doubt it though. I think its more likely to be a theme maybe supernatural or power?

Have a feeling we're going to get one of the harder poems. Could be something like 'Kamikaze' or 'poppies'
Reply 8
Original post by Bluepanda1234
For Macbeth I hope its Lady Macbeth- doubt it though. I think its more likely to be a theme maybe supernatural or power?

Have a feeling we're going to get one of the harder poems. Could be something like 'Kamikaze' or 'poppies'

yehhh its predicted a longer poem would come up because last year they got a short one. Poems like checking out me history are so bad that if it comes up my failure is certain
Reply 9
Original post by ASJ_12
I completely agree, It's a whole load of bull****

Unfortunately unless there is a focus away from schools trying achieving as many high grades as possible, it’s going to be very hard to make it go away. It’s a shame because it seems like a lot of people don’t enjoy it so can’t even benefit from the skills that it does teach.
Original post by notdyls
Unfortunately unless there is a focus away from schools trying achieving as many high grades as possible, it’s going to be very hard to make it go away. It’s a shame because it seems like a lot of people don’t enjoy it so can’t even benefit from the skills that it does teach.

I understand what you are saying, in addition, to do well (even if I don't like it whatsoever) you have to revise the poems, quotes, themes, characters, know the contexts and rhyme and rhythm patterns, structure, the list goes on, and this time and effort would no doubt benefit when revising for the more important subjects. It should be an A level/ GCSE option not a required GCSE
Please let the poem be London, please please please please
Original post by jasmine2019
Any predicitons for the themes in the english lit paper? I'm doign Macbeth, Jekyll and Hyde, Inspector Calls and Power and conflict for poems. (AQA)

Exactly the same as me
anyone doing lord of the flies?
is anyone doing love and relationships poems or christmas carol, Romeo and Juliet, inspector calls?
I think last year’s power and conflict poetry section was Ozymandias. As the poem takes a focus on the power element, I think it’s likely one of the more conflict orientated poems will be on the exam. Ozymandias has a more natural based element to it also, so I’d guess a war poem would come up or a more subtle poem like Tissue? I’m just guessing. Does anyone have any thoughts on what this years Sign Of Four question could be? I’m doing Macbeth, An Inspector Calls, The Sign Of Four and Power and Conflict poetry
Original post by notdyls

I done my presentation last year on why English should be an option and not compulsory. I mean I am a grade 8/9 student in lit. No so gear at Lang tho. But I think both are totally unnecessary and I think the amount we do for one grade is too much
Original post by juliabourlet
is anyone doing love and relationships poems or christmas carol, Romeo and Juliet, inspector calls?

I do R&J and AIC (plus Jekyll and Hyde + power&conflict)
Just watch the poem be tissue
Original post by jingle bells
I done my presentation last year on why English should be an option and not compulsory. I mean I am a grade 8/9 student in lit. No so gear at Lang tho. But I think both are totally unnecessary and I think the amount we do for one grade is too much

I fully approve of your choice of topic for your presentation! I do believe that language should remain compulsory though, I think that it develops good skills that will be well utilised for the future. It could be said that it's a bit too hard for what it needs to achieve, but that's the point of the grading system right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending