The Student Room Group

Reapply for Durham or go to other options

Hi all,For about the past 2 years, my dream has been to study law at Durham University. I visited twice, fell in love with the city, the college system and the whole feel of the uni but today I discovered I've been rejected for law :frown:My predictions are A*AA and I scored 22 on my LNAT but I was hopeful I'd still be able to get an offer but unfortunately not and right now I'm inconsolable as I had my heart set on going there and couldn't picture myself anywhere else.I'm considering getting my grades, really working on the LNAT and then reapplying but my parents think this is a terrible idea as I already have some good unis to choose from but I'm not sure :/My other offers are Nottingham (AAA), Exeter (AAA), York (AAA) and Newcastle (AAA) - I don't really have a preference or know a great deal about any of them as my heart was set on Durham but do you think any of them are going to and if so, which?I'm really upset right now but still want to work hard and get great grades and maybe the other options aren't too bad. If anyone can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.Thanks xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well I’d say go to offer holders days for your other choices, try to fall in love with them and be honest about why Durham rejected you - maybe it just wasnt right. Then I would choose firm and insurance your other offers, and start thinking about a gap year: would it benefit you? What would you like to do? Then if you get the standard offer grades, maybe one grade higher, you could consider asking your unis to release you and take a gap year. But then again Durham isn’t perfect and it might turn out that one of your other choices is just right! Also Durham seem really random in their admissions so even if you’re qualified and you reapply you might be rejected again - that’s why you should consider if you’d be taking a gap year because you think it would benefit you too. The best of luck and I’m sure you’ll do great things, you have some other amazing offers already!
Original post by Annamies
Well I’d say go to offer holders days for your other choices, try to fall in love with them and be honest about why Durham rejected you - maybe it just wasnt right. Then I would choose firm and insurance your other offers, and start thinking about a gap year: would it benefit you? What would you like to do? Then if you get the standard offer grades, maybe one grade higher, you could consider asking your unis to release you and take a gap year. But then again Durham isn’t perfect and it might turn out that one of your other choices is just right! Also Durham seem really random in their admissions so even if you’re qualified and you reapply you might be rejected again - that’s why you should consider if you’d be taking a gap year because you think it would benefit you too. The best of luck and I’m sure you’ll do great things, you have some other amazing offers already!

Thank you - that's really helpful :smile: I honestly don't have time to go to offer holder days for all of them as everything is so hectic but would you say any of the 4 is worth going to or making my preference?

I'm not sure I want a gap year as I really want to go now and wouldn't have a plan as such apart from reapplying and I'd just be very bored, it's just my dream to go to Durham.

And thanks for telling me about admissions, maybe it happened for a reason and I wouldn't want to run the risk of getting a second rejection.
Reply 3
Try to hype yourself up for the universities that you've had offers for. Who knows how you'll feel in three years.

It is tempting to reapply and I know how you feel, but this is temporary. Studying law at any of your other choices is a great opportunity and you should take it.
I think it's a bad idea to take a year out just to reapply to a particular uni, as there's a good chance you'll face the same outcome next year and you'll have spent a year owt for nowt. A mate of mine did it for Cambridge (after missing offer, resitting blah) and it really was just a waste of time.

Durham is not that unique of a place. Its college system is a glorified halls of residence with a bursar and karaoke nights. The city is small and dreary.
Reply 5
To choose one, maybe just whittle your choices down first by just exploring what you can online. Maybe even look through Google street view :redface:
Original post by Sinnoh
Try to hype yourself up for the universities that you've had offers for. Who knows how you'll feel in three years.

It is tempting to reapply and I know how you feel, but this is temporary. Studying law at any of your other choices is a great opportunity and you should take it.

Thank you - I think it's just the disappointment more than anything else.

The problem is I haven't really researched any of my others in great detail as I was so sure I was going to go to Durham and now I'm at a crossroads of sorts.

I know all my other 4 choices are great, respectful law schools but is there any you'd lean towards or favour?
Original post by Notoriety
I think it's a bad idea to take a year out just to reapply to a particular uni, as there's a good chance you'll face the same outcome next year and you'll have spent a year owt for nowt. A mate of mine did it for Cambridge (after missing offer, resitting blah) and it really was just a waste of time.

Durham is not that unique of a place. Its college system is a glorified halls of residence with a bursar and karaoke nights. The city is small and dreary.

That's my main fear and why my parents are advising me against it + I still think I want to go this year as I'd be bored on a gap year as I wouldn't have a concrete plan as such.

Out of the other 4, is there one you'd lean towards as I haven't really had the chance to look at any of them as I was so set on going to Durham. I saw York for an interview but found the campus quite industrial, isolated and dreary but I loved the course structure.
Original post by Sinnoh
To choose one, maybe just whittle your choices down first by just exploring what you can online. Maybe even look through Google street view :redface:

I've had a look and the courses are all quite similar, so it's a bit of a dilemma! Anyone able to offer anymore input?

It's more of a choice between Nottingham and Exeter I think.
I feel for you! Don’t worry. As the person above advised, try to fall in love with the unis which have given u offers. All your offers come from highly rated Russel group unis. If u accept any one of ur offers, it is most likely that when u go there, u will fit in and love ur uni! A lot of ppl say the uni they ended up at was the best actual outcome they could have had, even if it wasnt their first choice

And about taking a gap year... imagine doing that and then not getting into Durham again. Imagine that scenario, and if you are not ok with it then don’t risk it. All that mental investment in one uni is unhealthy and getting rejected a second time can break u.

Personally I think u shouldn’t think about Durham at all and just invest urself as much as u did with Durham with another uni

Also make sure to have a break and treat urself to a movie/go out , to comfort ur self. Don’t try to move on too quickly :smile: then the process of starting to research again for another uni will be better and more refreshing

Out of interest what were ur GCSEs like?

Anyway, I wish u the best of luck for the future!❤️
Reply 10
Original post by MaiaHughes2000
Thank you - I think it's just the disappointment more than anything else.

The problem is I haven't really researched any of my others in great detail as I was so sure I was going to go to Durham and now I'm at a crossroads of sorts.

I know all my other 4 choices are great, respectful law schools but is there any you'd lean towards or favour?

I know nothing about law at any of those unis :nah:

It's pretty arbitrary, but my personal choice out of those would be Nottingham and not for any reason relevant to law - just that it's a really nice campus and it's got the professors from Sixty Symbols.

But definitely look into them in detail - you've got time to decide, anyway.
(edited 5 years ago)
Thanks for making me feel a little better haha :smile: Any of the four I've got offers from you'd lean towards as I didn't really look into them as much as I did Durham.
That's my main fear and why my parents are advising me against it + I still think I want to go this year as I'd be bored on a gap year as I wouldn't have a concrete plan as such.

Out of the other 4, is there one you'd lean towards as I haven't really had the chance to look at any of them as I was so set on going to Durham. I saw York for an interview but found the campus quite industrial, isolated and dreary but I loved the course structure.

They're all quite decent; don't really think there's a clear based on any objective metric. Base it on location and campus. Google street view your way around and see how you like the look of the place; see if you like the shops in the place, the number of Prets, and so on. Look at pics of where you'll be studying, rather than the famous buildings.

Plenty of Durham buildings are industrial, as well. Look at the library for example; just the law school looks swanky (though it has no real personality and feels more like a corridor).
Original post by rose.obrien
I feel for you! Don’t worry. As the person above advised, try to fall in love with the unis which have given u offers. All your offers come from highly rated Russel group unis. If u accept any one of ur offers, it is most likely that when u go there, u will fit in and love ur uni! A lot of ppl say the uni they ended up at was the best actual outcome they could have had, even if it wasnt their first choice

And about taking a gap year... imagine doing that and then not getting into Durham again. Imagine that scenario, and if you are not ok with it then don’t risk it. All that mental investment in one uni is unhealthy and getting rejected a second time can break u.

Personally I think u shouldn’t think about Durham at all and just invest urself as much as u did with Durham with another uni

Also make sure to have a break and treat urself to a movie/go out , to comfort ur self. Don’t try to move on too quickly :smile: then the process of starting to research again for another uni will be better and more refreshing

Out of interest what were ur GCSEs like?

Anyway, I wish u the best of luck for the future!❤️

Thank you, that's really helped me :smile: Like you said I don't think I'm mentally ready to have another rejection from Durham and would have no good plans for a gap year.

I really want to do well still and don't want this to prevent me from achieving my predicted grades still, I'll definitely treat myself though!

I got 7 A*s, 2 As and a B, I don't know how this compares to the average Durham applicant?

And you too, best of luck! What are your plans?
Original post by Sinnoh
I know nothing about law at any of those unis :nah:

It's pretty arbitrary, but my personal choice out of those would be Nottingham and not for any reason relevant to law - just that it's a really nice campus and it's got the professors from Sixty Symbols.

But definitely look into them in detail - you've got time to decide, anyway.

Thank you, your help has been really appreciated :smile: I think I'm leaning towards Nottingham right now actually.
Original post by Notoriety
They're all quite decent; don't really think there's a clear based on any objective metric. Base it on location and campus. Google street view your way around and see how you like the look of the place; see if you like the shops in the place, the number of Prets, and so on. Look at pics of where you'll be studying, rather than the famous buildings.

Plenty of Durham buildings are industrial, as well. Look at the library for example; just the law school looks swanky (though it has no real personality and feels more like a corridor).

I think I'll do that actually as the campus and city matters to me a lot more, while I've researched the websites of them all.

I think I've ruled out Newcastle as it seems a notch below the other 3, while when I went for my interview at York, I wasn't a fan of the campus as it was very industrial and dreary, with the law building very far away from everything else.

That brings me to Nottingham and Exeter and they look very different. Nottingham seems to have a lovely campus, big city and people seem to enjoy it but it looks a little dreary, while Exeter looks lively and progressive.

Exeter also seems to be more like Durham, which is why I'm tempted by it. Nottingham does seem prestigious though and read good things about it, more so than Exeter.

Any preference?
Possibly, but I read on here someone got an offer with an LNAT of 19 as although I wasn't happy with my 22 I still thought it was an okay score :frown: Maybe I'll ask for feedback from them.

I'm not really sure right now if I'm honest although I'm leaning slightly more towards being a barrister than working in a commercial firm; this could change though I'm sure.

Which would you say out of the 4?
I think that what you should do is find other universities that you like, but apply for adjuctment, or if you don't meet your offers then apply through clearing. Last year I read something like (I may be wrong though) that 40% of people went through clearing to get into uni. But my best friend did it, got CDD in her a levels and got into do environmental science at Reading. I understand Durham is a bit more competitive but people get in places wildly above their grades through clearing becuase the universities are just desperate to fill spots by that point
This, I learnt the hard way. Don't get caught up in buzz words and numbers, it may backfire.
I think I'll do that actually as the campus and city matters to me a lot more, while I've researched the websites of them all.

I think I've ruled out Newcastle as it seems a notch below the other 3, while when I went for my interview at York, I wasn't a fan of the campus as it was very industrial and dreary, with the law building very far away from everything else.

That brings me to Nottingham and Exeter and they look very different. Nottingham seems to have a lovely campus, big city and people seem to enjoy it but it looks a little dreary, while Exeter looks lively and progressive.

Exeter also seems to be more like Durham, which is why I'm tempted by it. Nottingham does seem prestigious though and read good things about it, more so than Exeter.

Any preference?

A lot of Notts "prestige" is historical. From when it was an A*AA uni and people mistakenly believed this meant it was better than the AAAers; i.e. what QMUL currently does to adds to its prestige. And from people thinking that Notts being an LNAT makes it more prestigious than the non-LNATs. I don't think there is much of an edge in terms of prestige and whatever. Newcastle is alright; don't knock it.

Again, just base it on what you like the look of. Certainly don't choose based on which has a famous chemistry-based YouTube channel!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending