The Student Room Group

Just starting revising for A-levels in June...

Hey guys, so basically it’s almost 2am and I’m freaking the **** out.

I’m applying to do medicine so I will need to get A*AA in maths, bio and chem, which is what I’m predicted. The issue is, I have yet to start revising for A-levels and my mocks were crap (CAC, maths bio and chem).

here’s the thing: I have 0 notes to use. Like I have notes, but they are of such a low quality and have so many gaps in them and are completely unorganised so there’s no point in me using them.

Someone help me, I need ideas to efficiently create notes and revise for all of my courses. Cheers, also I’m screwed aren’t I

Oh btw, OCR A for bio and chem and edexcel for maths

Edit: crap the grammar in the title is wrong
(edited 5 years ago)
Have the same problem.
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
Have the same problem.

Haha rip to you too then
Can’t you get a revision guide off Amazon?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Human_bean
Can’t you get a revision guide off Amazon?

I have some, find they’re not detailed enough really, especially the cgp ones. Just really wanna know how people go about making notes for the subjects I listed above for inspiration
Original post by Captain Holt
Haha rip to you too then

How did you get the A in bio-how are you revising, any tips?
I have some, find they’re not detailed enough really, especially the cgp ones. Just really wanna know how people go about making notes for the subjects I listed above for inspiration

Unfortunately, it’s been a while since I did A levels now. But what I would recommend is to speak with your teachers first - see if they are able to give you some advice. And also, spend some time Googling for ideas. You can find things like example note layouts etc.
I know it’s not what you asked but revision tips =
past exam papers
make mind maps (without looking at notes) and right at the end add in the information you forgot, in a different colour, then go back over and revise those topics until you can complete the exercise without forgetting any info.

Best of luck with your A levels 😁.
How did you get the A in bio-how are you revising, any tips?

Honestly, I just crammed the night before, didn’t do any proper revision because I had an interview at Bristol 2 days before and chem mocks 1 day before. I will say that with Bio there are no shortcuts, you just have to learn EVERYTHING, which is why I’m freaking out and trying to figure out the best way of making notes in 3 months which I can learn easily from
Unfortunately, it’s been a while since I did A levels now. But what I would recommend is to speak with your teachers first - see if they are able to give you some advice. And also, spend some time Googling for ideas. You can find things like example note layouts etc.
I know it’s not what you asked but revision tips =
past exam papers
make mind maps (without looking at notes) and right at the end add in the information you forgot, in a different colour, then go back over and revise those topics until you can complete the exercise without forgetting any info.

Best of luck with your A levels 😁.

Any help is fantastic, thank you loads, with the mind maps, would you say use those along with past papers to test my knowledge once I’ve learnt everything?
Honestly, I just crammed the night before, didn’t do any proper revision because I had an interview at Bristol 2 days before and chem mocks 1 day before. I will say that with Bio there are no shortcuts, you just have to learn EVERYTHING, which is why I’m freaking out and trying to figure out the best way of making notes in 3 months which I can learn easily from

When you did your mocks how much of the bio content have you covered by then with your class?My one is everything except plant responses and except the module 6 things on biotechnology, cloning and things like that.
When you did your mocks how much of the bio content have you covered by then with your class?My one is everything except plant responses and except the module 6 things on biotechnology, cloning and things like that.

We had mocks at the end of January, so all of AS, module 5, and then cellular control, most of inheritance (excluding hardy Weinberg and the bits after that) and that’s it, so not as much but still loads.
Any help is fantastic, thank you loads, with the mind maps, would you say use those along with past papers to test my knowledge once I’ve learnt everything?

No problem 👍🏼.
I would probably say to do mind maps (with the aim of filling in your knowledge gaps). Then start answering past papers to see what kind of questions you’ll be asked. And just repeat the cycle as necessary (e.g. for each topic).
You can definitely use them together if that helps you.
No problem 👍🏼.
I would probably say to do mind maps (with the aim of filling in your knowledge gaps). Then start answering past papers to see what kind of questions you’ll be asked. And just repeat the cycle as necessary (e.g. for each topic).
You can definitely use them together if that helps you.

Ah ok, makes sense, cheers dude
It’s okay you’ve got time to do this.
So tonight try and get a good nights sleep,
Tomorrow you need to order all the revision guides for your courses that will be helpful, message a friend in your class and ask them to let you photocopy notes, email or talk to your teacher about any extra help they can give you or extra homework they could set. Start making revision notes on the topics you feel least comfortable with and then make a revision plan so you can see that you still have time and you will be less stressed. You’ve got this, everything will be fine if you work from now on out x
Revise as in do past papers and brush up on content or do you mean actually studying as in understanding information and learning?

Quick Reply