The Student Room Group

The Dissertation Thread 2018-2019

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muserock
All the best with your dissertation (mine was in Business and Management) but I had to cut it down by 2000 words. It was quite a frustrating process but in the end, I felt it was a better piece of work and I achieved a first :smile:.

Thank you! Well done on getting a first, I hope I can achieve the same, or at least a 2.1 :smile:
If any of you want to be super helpful and take part in my dissertation research the link is here: https://edgehillpsychology.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6DSqc0i7LoNBwNL its about defendant characteristics and their impact on jury opinions
Original post by Nirvanatheiguana
If any of you want to be super helpful and take part in my dissertation research the link is here: https://edgehillpsychology.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6DSqc0i7LoNBwNL its about defendant characteristics and their impact on jury opinions

Sorry, too much reading wall-o-text is not fun : (
Why don't you do a voice recording that people can listen to? That way I'd get to the end of it.
Original post by Dannyboy2015
Sorry, too much reading wall-o-text is not fun : (
Why don't you do a voice recording that people can listen to? That way I'd get to the end of it.

Unfortunately then it would'nt be very realsitic which would take away from the whole point of the research
Original post by Nirvanatheiguana
Unfortunately then it would'nt be very realsitic which would take away from the whole point of the research

Good luck getting people to read the mini-novel. : ( Perhaps other people on your course would be the best to ask as they would find the wall interesting?
I've opted to pick a professional project rather than a traditional essay. This was one of the reasons why I picked my uni because doing a professional project for my MA would look really good on my CV. My course is also partnered with the top UK professional body for my subject/career (PR). And to my bloody surprise, the uni has basically told us WE have to go and find the company. They don't even have a list of any companies themselves. It's a joke. They should at least provide us with a list of agencies or firms that welcomes postgrad research. But nope. I don't even know where to start!
my supervisor checked my nearly finished disso today, and he said its definitely above 75%, so I'm happy 🙏😭
Hello, I am currently doing a Msc in International political economy at LSE. I am in the process of finding a dissertation question, yet unsuccessfully. I am quite interested in CSR and tax evasion/avoidance but I am quite unsure if it is possible to link both in a novel way. Does anyone have any potential ideas? Or perhaps even suggestions for a different topic?
Original post by gingerfoxy
Hello, I am currently doing a Msc in International political economy at LSE. I am in the process of finding a dissertation question, yet unsuccessfully. I am quite interested in CSR and tax evasion/avoidance but I am quite unsure if it is possible to link both in a novel way. Does anyone have any potential ideas? Or perhaps even suggestions for a different topic?

I can't answer your question, but I'm going through the motion of changing my dissertation and I spoke to the dissertation module leader to talk about ideas.

I would recommend you do the same! They're there to help remember! :smile:
I'm hoping to print and bind my dissertation this week, finally the end is in sight! :smile:
I'm doing mine on UK Police and need people 18+ who have been in the UK for 5 years to complete my survey. It's about 10-15 minutes on average and I can do yours in return!
https://lse.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5d5uvrbL80K4QId
Also, if anyone has any tips on writing up and dissertations in general (any tips honestly) please do share!
I only have one poster to print out now and then my dissertation will be ready to submit, finally :biggrin:
Original post by Leviathan1741
I only have one poster to print out now and then my dissertation will be ready to submit, finally :biggrin:

You must be so relieved!
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
You must be so relieved!

I am! I submitted everything this morning, it's nice to know I don't have to read through it looking for potential mistakes and improvements anymore! :smile:
I am! I submitted everything this morning, it's nice to know I don't have to read through it looking for potential mistakes and improvements anymore! :smile:

Yep it's such a great feeling. Although it's a bit strange afterwards too.

Ah good! It's such a relief isn't it! I'm assuming it's an UG dissertation? What was it on btw?
Original post by Muserock
Yep it's such a great feeling. Although it's a bit strange afterwards too.

I remember feeling really strange. All the tiredness and hard work to get it done, then the excitement of submitting it and then there's some kind of null effect and you kind of think 'hmm, well. That's it I suppose. Hmm.' It's a weird thing! Dissertations are stressful but there is a hype that goes with it. I found it was one of the easiest essays I wrote in UG. Not easy, but perhaps straightforward, compared to other essays I had to do!
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Ah good! It's such a relief isn't it! I'm assuming it's an UG dissertation? What was it on btw?

Yep, it was on the stratigraphy and structural geology of the Llangollen area, North Wales. Lots of grey rocks essentially, as my mum put it :tongue: If you search images of Eglwyseg Escarpment, that's where I spent my summer doing fieldwork for it :smile:
Hey guys I'm studying a masters in Biology at Sussex. I'm currently doing a dissertation on hygenic behaviour in leaftcutter ants (Acromyrmyx Octospinosis to be exact) and the changes in how workers prioritise colony level and individual fitness in queenless and queenright colonies. Tbh it seems so stressful at this point about halfway through just trying to get loads of data but once it's done it's such a relief, until you start worrying about the grade!
Any advice on what sections to do for my Methodology section? I am doing an Undergrad and I'm doing interviews.

Any help appreciated I am really struggling on how to write this
Original post by Carl1234
Any advice on what sections to do for my Methodology section? I am doing an Undergrad and I'm doing interviews.

Any help appreciated I am really struggling on how to write this

Doesn't your Methodology come after your Lit Review and before your Analysis right?

Quick Reply

Latest