The Student Room Group

HELP please!

Just need pointing in the right direction really! I am now at the age (24) at which I am now ready to study properly. I've been in fulltime work since leaving school, and travelled a lot of the world, but I'm not too sure as to go about getting into uni. I have a number of GCSE's and AS levels, but no a levels. Where do I start? Access course? Back to college? How long will it take? I'm prepared to put the work in as It will be worth it in the long run. Just need to be pointed in the right direction!
Thanks.
Original post by samdowl
Just need pointing in the right direction really! I am now at the age (24) at which I am now ready to study properly. I've been in fulltime work since leaving school, and travelled a lot of the world, but I'm not too sure as to go about getting into uni. I have a number of GCSE's and AS levels, but no a levels. Where do I start? Access course? Back to college? How long will it take? I'm prepared to put the work in as It will be worth it in the long run. Just need to be pointed in the right direction!
Thanks.

An Access course would be a good idea to get back into learning in an environment where you will be with other adults. You should look to see what is available at your local colleges - they normally take one year full time or two years part time and you can combine them with GCSE Maths or English for those who haven't already got those subjects at a grade C or above
Reply 2
Thanks Harry, thats cleared it up for me. Am i being very naive and thinking that if i was to take an access course that the actual course subject has to link with what i eventually want to do at university? (silly question i know) As there isn't any local course that actually fit the bill for me, which i guess would mean travelling further afield for them.
Original post by samdowl
Thanks Harry, thats cleared it up for me. Am i being very naive and thinking that if i was to take an access course that the actual course subject has to link with what i eventually want to do at university? (silly question i know) As there isn't any local course that actually fit the bill for me, which i guess would mean travelling further afield for them.

It's not a silly question, you can either do a general Access to Higher Eduation or specific ones in things like Access to Higher Education (nursing). Do you have an idea about what you want to study at uni? If so, it is best to contact Admissions at the Unis that you would be interested in, and ask them directly if they would accept the general one or not? The section below is taken from the Reading Uni website:
We are happy to consider applicants with Access qualifications. The programme must be a QAA recognised programme. We may ask for specific grades in specific units and for particular subjects to be studied.

Another advantage to phoning Uni Admissions directly is that they can advise you on other options at their institution - some run one year foundation courses for people without the normal A levels, for example, which could be an alternative to the Access course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending