The Student Room Group

unplugging obd port blackbox

Does anyone know if your insurance company is notified when you remove the plug in device which goes into the OBD port?

If I switch the car off, unplug the device and come back in the exact same spot and plug the device back in, will the insurance company be aware of what I have done?

Before anyone tries lecturing me; YES I am fully aware this invalidates my insurance but the truth is I don't care. So I'm not asking for any opinions on how illegal or dangerous this is.
Original post by ah1859
Does anyone know if your insurance company is notified when you remove the plug in device which goes into the OBD port?

If I switch the car off, unplug the device and come back in the exact same spot and plug the device back in, will the insurance company be aware of what I have done?

Before anyone tries lecturing me; YES I am fully aware this invalidates my insurance but the truth is I don't care. So I'm not asking for any opinions on how illegal or dangerous this is.

Not gonna tell you the answer :eviltongue:

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Yep, they are.
Original post by ah1859

Reply 3
I can't tell you if your insurance company will know, but we use OBDII trackers at work and we have an email notification when they lose power - either through a flat battery or from being unplugged.

So yes, I imagine they will know.

Why do you want to unplug it? Is it plugged straight in to the OBDII port (meaning you can't plug anything else in - to do diagnostics for example) or have they used a Y-harness so you still have access to the port?

If it's the latter I can't imagine a single reason you'd want to unplug it other than to defraud your insurance company.
Reply 4
Original post by Nuffles
I can't tell you if your insurance company will know, but we use OBDII trackers at work and we have an email notification when they lose power - either through a flat battery or from being unplugged.

Why do you want to unplug it? Is it plugged straight in to the OBDII port (meaning you can't plug anything else in - to do diagnostics for example) or have they used a Y-harness so you still have access to the port?

If it's the latter I can't imagine a single reason you'd want to unplug it other than to defraud your insurance company.

OP made it clear their intention is to defraud their insurer
Reply 5
How long does it take for them to lose power?
Original post by Nuffles

Reply 6
Original post by ah1859
How long does it take for them to lose power?

Without an internal battery.. almost immediately.
I'm probably not going out on a limb by suggesting the insurer has considered the possibility of people disconnecting the box to get around it and it will flag up. It's whole point is to send information and a lack of information is still information.
Reply 8
What about if your battery died in your car or if you needed to replace it? I presume the insurers would be ok with it, pending it only lost power for 30 mins max? Just the thread got be wondering about what would happen in these events :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Joshkav
What about if your battery died in your car or if you needed to replace it? I presume the insurers would be ok with it, pending it only lost power for 30 mins max? Just the thread got be wondering about what would happen in these events :smile:

When swapping a battery you typically connect a 12v supply to the car so it stays energised; you don't want to lose your radio presets and such.

The box will be able to monitor battery voltage, so it'll know when it's getting low and log that accordingly.
Ah, ok. I bet some people just remove the battery though. Causing total power loss. But if this was the case, the insurers could see that it was because the batter was low, etc? I know with my past insurer under charges, they would charge £100 to reactivate to box again if it lost total power :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Joshkav
Ah, ok. I bet some people just remove the battery though. Causing total power loss. But if this was the case, the insurers could see that it was because the batter was low, etc? I know with my past insurer under charges, they would charge £100 to reactivate to box again if it lost total power :smile:

In theory, it should be as easy as giving them a bell to let them know of your intention to have the battery changed and everything is okay.
Good. Would of been what I would do anyway. Bet you would get some that charge you to reactivate it again, whether you tell them or not, just to be money grabbers :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Joshkav
Good. Would of been what I would do anyway. Bet you would get some that charge you to reactivate it again, whether you tell them or not, just to be money grabbers :smile:

I doubt they need "reactivating" after a power loss to be honest with you.
Exactly what I mean, but it gives them a reason to charge you again I suppose. Or at least that is what my last insurer would do in that case. Never happened to me like, but is what they set out in their terms & charges :smile:
Insurance will know if the car has been driven with the black box disconnected as it records the mileage.
Probably so he can go ragging his car

Latest