The Student Room Group

Is a suit and tie too dressy for a PG interview?

Sup TSRians,

I have an upcoming postgraduate interview at a University I REALLY want to go to.

Would you guys consider a suit and tie too dressy for a postgraduate course interview or is it the level of formality to be expected?

I've heard of people saying business casual is fine, while others say blazer + tie minimum.

I wore a full suit to my UG interview, turned up and felt massively overdressed :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What subject?

Anything touching corporate/legal then a suit is probably expected.
For a more creative course, i'd say it's a little boring and stuffy.
Original post by CTLeafez
Sup TSRians,

I have an upcoming postgraduate interview at a University I REALLY want to go to.

Would you guys consider a suit and tie too dressy for a postgraduate course interview or is it the level of formality to be expected?

I've heard of people saying business casual is fine, while others say blazer + tie minimum.

Suit and tie is a safe bet for almost every interview, almost anywhere.

Academics can be anything from scruffy, to casual, to smart, to formal, and it's always good to create a good first impression by looking smart yourself. Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Moments
What subject?

Anything touching corporate/legal then a suit is probably expected.
For a more creative course, i'd say it's a little boring and stuffy.

MSc Molecular Genetics so I guess it's the middle ground. It isn't particularly a creative arts course but also isn't corporate investment banking.

Original post by Duncan2012
Suit and tie is a safe bet for almost every interview, almost anywhere.

Academics can be anything from scruffy, to casual, to smart, to formal, and it's always good to create a good first impression by looking smart yourself. Good luck!

That is a very good point. Guess no one has ever been looked down on for being overly dressed (will leave the white bowtie at home though... :P )

Thanks for the assistance both of you.
Sup TSRians,

The important thing is to look professional and presentable in the context of the environment you'd hypothetically be working in. While a few STEM academics might wear a suit for presenting at a conference, teaching etc, most probably would go with slightly less formal business casual appropriate wear. Although many wear more general business casual (or completely casual, or even very...specific styles instead) it would probably be better to skew towards the less casual end of this for first impressions.

As such for STEM subjects I think just a smart button down shirt or a blouse with smart trousers/skirt would be sufficient. I think a tie would probably be optional but if you can't get the collar to look tidy without one (if it's all sad and collapsed looking for example), maybe consider it. If you want to wear a blazer or suit by all means do so, but I doubt it would be expected and if it would be uncomfortable for you to wear this discomfort is more likely to come across in an interview than anything else. If you wanted to wear something over just a shirt, a smart jumper or similar would probably be suitable.

Of course I've never applied for grad studies so, what do I know? :tongue:
(edited 5 years ago)
Sup TSRians,

I wore a full suit to my UG interview, turned up and felt massively overdressed :biggrin:

To be honest, I think you would be overdressed.

Most people would just dress smartly for a Uni interview - suit and tie would be unnecessary (especially the tie!). Only wear a suit and tie if it would help to make you feel more confident - no need to, otherwise :smile:
if you were being interviewed for an MPhil in Rock Music and Urban Street Culture then a suit and tie might not be the best look

:dontknow:
Reply 7
MSc Molecular Genetics so I guess it's the middle ground. It isn't particularly a creative arts course but also isn't corporate investment banking.

Sciences? Good choice. I’d say chinos, shirt, blazer, smart boots will do ya then.
Original post by the bear
if you were being interviewed for an MPhil in Rock Music and Urban Street Culture then a suit and tie might not be the best look

:dontknow:

You are so wise :rolleyes:
I don't think it really matters in the slightest, but smart casual's probably a good bet.
Never done a PG interview, but if I did I'd probably just stick on a suit.

Wearing a suit is easy and you can't sensibly be criticised for it. I'd do it just to avoid wasting any more time thinking about clothing.
Suit would be overdressed for sciences. Smart casual is fine. You may well find yourself being interviewed by someone wearing a hoodie and converse.
Reply 12
Original post by artful_lounger

Of course I've never applied for grad studies so, what do I know? :tongue:

I appreciate everyone's perspective

Original post by harrysbar
To be honest, I think you would be overdressed.

Most people would just dress smartly for a Uni interview - suit and tie would be unnecessary (especially the tie!). Only wear a suit and tie if it would help to make you feel more confident - no need to, otherwise :smile:

Tbf I think it would. I've always heard if you dress smart/confidently, then you'll radiate that confidence in your mannerisms. Don't get to wear a suit often so maybe wearing a suit would sub-consciously make me be like "Right, this is where stuff gets real!"

Original post by Violet Femme
Suit would be overdressed for sciences. Smart casual is fine. You may well find yourself being interviewed by someone wearing a hoodie and converse.

My interviewer is the course leader so I don't think they'll be wearing hoodies and converse, but I get your point :biggrin: Looking back I think the least formal one of my UG lecturers has dressed has been a polo shirt and blazer.

Never seen a lecturer wearing hoodie and converse :') Maybe it's all that lecturer dollar!
@CTLeafez Interview is an interview. No matter what it's for, look your best. Safe bet is wear a blazer, a collared shirt, and special shoes and pressed suit trousers, matching exactly or not necessarily matching like a grey blazer, clay trousers. Bring a matching properly sized tie in a satchel just in case. It's an accessory lol. When no ones looking lace up your tie if you feel you should wear it.

But then there's me who wore a fur coat, a velour dress suit and brogue shoes that I never wear otherwise to my most recent interview and got the spot :rofl:. Looked like a ****ing pimp. But everyone else looked like a cleaner. I'm ghetto with exquisite taste :holmes:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Bang Outta Order
@CTLeafez

But then there's me who wore a fur coat, a velour dress suit and brogue shoes that I never wear otherwise to my most recent interview and got the spot :rofl:. Looked like a ****ing pimp. But everyone else looked like a cleaner. I'm ghetto with exquisite taste :holmes:

Oh lordy :biggrin: Were you applying for a PhD in Pimp-ology? Unfortunately I don't own a fur coat, but I do have some nice ironed suit trousers and a black blazer. Should I wear my Ravenclaw tie? Show my intellectual side :wink:
Oh lordy :biggrin: Were you applying for a PhD in Pimp-ology? Unfortunately I don't own a fur coat, but I do have some nice ironed suit trousers and a black blazer. Should I wear my Ravenclaw tie? Show my intellectual side :wink:

man..you've got to invest in fur. faux fur obviously.

Lol does the purple in the Ravenclaw tie clash with the other colours???
Reply 16
man..you've got to invest in fur. faux fur obviously.

Lol does the purple in the Ravenclaw tie clash with the other colours???

Faux fur - Of course, of course. I ain't no monster!

There's just blue and silver in the ravenclaw tie... Obviously a Hufflepuff :wink:

Tbf I have another decent formal tie, I'd just wear that if needbe.
Faux fur - Of course, of course. I ain't no monster!

There's just blue and silver in the ravenclaw tie... Obviously a Hufflepuff :wink:

Tbf I have another decent formal tie, I'd just wear that if needbe.

blue?! thought ravenclaw was purple...nah Im gryffindor!

yeah just lace up the tie in the toilets or right outside the door in the car park if you get your conscience telling you to pop it on. just make sure you match, dont wanna look like Willy Wonka or Dr. Who lol.

aye. go brogue, or go home.
Never been to a post grad thing, but I'd go with the suit, esp if it's what I felt confident in, why not?. Don't worry about what the interviewer wears as they're on home turf. Whether a suit is appropriate for role/subject or not, it demonstrates you're taking things seriously and showing respect to the interview process. (IMO)
Reply 19

aye. go brogue, or go home.

Have you never watched Kingsman? 'Oxford, not brogues'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending