The Student Room Group

Crashing higher Biology

Hi, I have recently decided I am interested in persuing dentistry as a career. I am in S4 and am currently picking my highers. To get into the course biology is required but I haven’t taken it this year. Would it be possible to crash higher in S5 with no previous knowledge of the subject and get an A? I am currently expected to get an A for n5 chemistry and physics. Thanks
Crashing a science at higher is extremely challenging. I’m doing it myself this year and got a C in the prelim (I got 5As at higher last year and As in both my other prelims). It will be difficult to catch up on the necessary knowledge and just general terms/practices from nat 5. If I were you I would crash it in S6 instead as S5 will certainly be your most challenging (and important) year at school and you will likely lack the time to put in the extra effort needed to keep up with the rest of the class. Universities are perfectly fine with you sitting any necessary subjects in S6 rather than S5 and all dentistry offers will be conditional on S6 results anyway so you wouldn’t be at any disadvantage (I know this as I was interested in dentistry as well and looked into it which is why I am crashing higher chemistry this year). Your actual results in 5th year are the most important thing and you don’t want to compromise your chances at getting the grades needed for entry to dentistry by trying to get all the subjects you need in one year by crashing. I’m pretty sure most schools don’t let you crash highers in 5th year anyway so I would ask your teachers if it’s permitted either way. However, I believe it should be possible to get an A with no prior knowledge if you really work at it and a good background in chemistry and physics should help. Really, it’s up to you and whether you think you can afford to sacrifice time from your other highers to catch up on biology. Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you so much for this, I think I will spend my spare time catching up on what I would have missed in N5 and crash higher in s6. Thanks you’ve really helped me.
Original post by scottishst25
Crashing a science at higher is extremely challenging. I’m doing it myself this year and got a C in the prelim (I got 5As at higher last year and As in both my other prelims). It will be difficult to catch up on the necessary knowledge and just general terms/practices from nat 5. If I were you I would crash it in S6 instead as S5 will certainly be your most challenging (and important) year at school and you will likely lack the time to put in the extra effort needed to keep up with the rest of the class. Universities are perfectly fine with you sitting any necessary subjects in S6 rather than S5 and all dentistry offers will be conditional on S6 results anyway so you wouldn’t be at any disadvantage (I know this as I was interested in dentistry as well and looked into it which is why I am crashing higher chemistry this year). Your actual results in 5th year are the most important thing and you don’t want to compromise your chances at getting the grades needed for entry to dentistry by trying to get all the subjects you need in one year by crashing. I’m pretty sure most schools don’t let you crash highers in 5th year anyway so I would ask your teachers if it’s permitted either way. However, I believe it should be possible to get an A with no prior knowledge if you really work at it and a good background in chemistry and physics should help. Really, it’s up to you and whether you think you can afford to sacrifice time from your other highers to catch up on biology. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by AStephen03
Thank you so much for this, I think I will spend my spare time catching up on what I would have missed in N5 and crash higher in s6. Thanks you’ve really helped me.

No problem, glad I could help as I was facing this dilemma myself a couple of years ago :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending