The Student Room Group

White saviour? Stacey Dooley in row with labour Mp David Lammy

Scroll to see replies

Poor Stacey in the middle of this.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
He isn't wrong though that the charity sector have continued to spread a particular view of Africa (starving children and desperate women) that does well for donations but isn't in any way representative of the continent as a whole. In fact, many African countries have made considerable progress in improving living standards and dealing with poverty. That's a story we don't get exposed to but we are constantly assailed by the negative imagery.

On the white/black thing, it's also been true in the past that the classic charity posture was the white man/woman holding little black babies and weeping. There was a hidden suggestion there that all the Africans need is white do-gooding and they will be fine. They in fact do need more generosity from us, but it's to do with the terms of trade. The EU have fierce protectionist barriers against African goods, which makes it hard for them to export to us. The UK may or may not drop these on leaving, but the UK also has a long history of blocking African exports, so perhaps nothing will change.

For students on gap years, white voluntourism also often has very negative effects.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/pippa-biddle/little-white-girls-voluntourism_b_4834574.html

I agree with the middle-class gap year students of every ethnic group not just white are entitled, hypocrites they won't spend a year volunteer for Save the Child in Britain or other children charities or at FoodBanks or homeless hostel. They go aboard and take pictures of themselves holding small children in rags and build schools that have to be taken down by locals after they left because they are dangerous and will fall down. At my university, it was full of hypocrites who volunteer abroad and would never help out at the local homeless project or FoodBank. The local soup kitchen was mainly run by Nuns for West Africa.
Original post by Obolinda
Poor Stacey in the middle of this.

I'm sure she can cope, she's been through a lot worse. She's a pretty tough character.
I'm sure she can cope, she's been through a lot worse. She's a pretty tough character.

Yes, it was meant to be mildly humorous
Original post by Obolinda
Yes, it was meant to be mildly humorous

Aha. Irony failure alert. :blush:
I don't usually comment on posts on this section of TSR :ninja: But I've read through the whole thread and think some interesting points have been raised.

Whilst I can (kinda) see what Lammy was trying to get at, I don't really know what he expects Comic Relief - or any other charity - to do. If they carry on as they are doing, they are accused of a 'white saviour' complex. But if in the UK we were to only let ethnic minorities speak out or raise awareness of issues facing ethnic minority communities (either here or abroad), then ethnic communities will (quite rightly) assume that white people don't care about them or their issues and aren't willing to help at all. So it seems like a no-win situation to me... :dontknow:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I don't usually comment on posts on this section of TSR :ninja: But I've read through the whole thread and think some interesting points have been raised.

Whilst I can (kinda) see what Lammy was trying to get at, I don't really know what he expects Comic Relief - or any other charity - to do. If they carry on as they are doing, they are accused of a 'white saviour' complex. But if in the UK we were to only let ethnic minorities speak out or raise awareness of issues facing ethnic minority communities (either here or abroad), then ethnic communities will (quite rightly) assume that white people don't care about them or their issues and aren't willing to help at all. So it seems like a no-win situation to me... :dontknow:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't :moon:
Oh no, a white celebrity raising money for starving Africans. Censor this sick filth.

Most people in wealthy, western nations are white. So who do you think will be the people in the photos? Who do you think flies over there with charitable organisations and takes (arguably vain) photos? Rich white hippies and celebrities. They're still helping, there's nothing wrong with it, so let it be. And nothing is stopping blacks or Asians from doing it. I'm fairly certain I've seen 'celebrities of colour' in third world nations with African kids before, too.

I swear, race hustlers have to find something 'problematic' in just about everything, don't they?
If he had said we ought to see more local people in films shown as part of Comic Relief, or that the telethon format is tired and old, then I would have some sympathy. If he had criticised someone who has a record of supporting cuts to official aid or the Tories policies that leave people relying on food banks in the UK, I'd agree with him. I don't agree with him criticising one of the best documentary makers we have in this country, who has covered stories around the world.
Original post by Andrew97
Tv star Dooley was photgraphed in Africa as part of comic relief. This angered labour mp David Lammy who accused Dooley of perpetuating racial stereotypes.

Dooley responded by asking Lammy to come out with her and see the work Comic Relief do. CR claimed Lammy snubbed an offer from them, something Lammy denies.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/feb/28/david-lammy-stacey-dooley-comic-relief-white-saviour-row-uganda-red-nose-day-film

What do we think of this. Is Lammy being unhelpful (for somebody who prides himself on being anti-racist, he does seem to enjoy bringing skin colours up)

Lammy should take his face for a **** somewhere else he doesn’t speak for people which he has nothing in common with at all with the exception of their colour of skin.

His words of actions upon would simply lead to less money donated and therefore less help given to people who need it.

Lammy is just a stupid racist.
Original post by Just my opinion
Here's an idea then.
Set up a black aid charity, use only black presentrs and send only black celebs to Africa to hold black babies and weep.
You could even call it black nose Day and sell black noses for contributions.
I'm sure with his amazing organisational Lammey would be up for it. 👍

Don’t forget only black people can donate too
Original post by Decahedron
Raising awareness is complete bull**** at this point. Everyone is aware of the poverty on the African continent.

I would much rather hear from the actual people in poverty and the actual people helping them not another celeb doing their 10 minute segment on how important it is for us to give our money while they live in their mansions.

A lot of people wouldn’t donate without the constant prodding by celebrities. That may be sad, but that’s the reality.
I’ve got to be honest, this white saviour idea is something I’ve noticed when on dating sites.

A hell of a lot of boys/ men have photos of them in Africa with a beautiful black child on their shoulders. And you know what they’re trying to do, look at me helping these poor black children, aren’t I amazing?

There’s something disconcerting about seeing it.
It’s a parade.
Original post by Waldorf67
I’ve got to be honest, this white saviour idea is something I’ve noticed when on dating sites.

A hell of a lot of boys/ men have photos of them in Africa with a beautiful black child on their shoulders. And you know what they’re trying to do, look at me helping these poor black children, aren’t I amazing?

There’s something disconcerting about seeing it.
It’s a parade.

The concept of the colonial European master/mistress, sailing out to Africa to mission to the helpless savages, bring them Christianity by force if necessary and teaching them the errors of their ways (for which they are grinningly grateful in a humiliatingly submissive way) whilst giving them subsistence food from time to time is deeply embedded in our culture.
The concept of the colonial European master/mistress, sailing out to Africa to mission to the helpless savages, bring them Christianity by force if necessary and teaching them the errors of their ways (for which they are grinningly grateful in a humiliatingly submissive way) whilst giving them subsistence food from time to time is deeply embedded in our culture.

Especially among woke lefties. We call it virtue signalling these days.
Original post by Good bloke
Especially among woke lefties. We call it virtue signalling these days.

Ooooooh snap!!
Original post by RivalPlayer
Why isn't she posing for photos with a poor white English child?
It's because posing with a poor white English child isn't as cool as posing with a poor black African child.

*sigh* why can't be raise awareness for both, so many British Africans in denial about the state of Africa (containing some of the most underdeveloped places on Earth)
Right then, we shall cut all aid to anyone that is not white, we will cease any help at all and we might even go and invade and show them how to make a functional country
Original post by RivalPlayer
I think a lot of people have had enough of “raising awareness” about poverty in the developing world. The adverts are always on TV. The desire to pose with poor children from these countries is just another self-absorbed fashion statement for these do-gooder celebs.

Look at Dooley’s Instagram feed: you've got all this don't-I-look-good-in-the-mirror middle-class fashion stuff and then there's a smattering of African poverty chic. The incongruity says it all. It’s always Me, Me, Me with these sorts.

Correct. It's definitely a middle class thing.
But these middle-class people would not dream of helping at local FoodBank children home
Original post by Pachuco
Correct. It's definitely a middle class thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending