The Student Room Group

3D Animation - Bournemouth or Hertfordshire in 2018

I am currently in a predicament - next year i am going to be attending university for computer animation. I have lowered my choices down to two i really want to go to. Either Bournemouth or Hertfordshire . Each have their pros and cons for me. I was just wondering if anybody could provide some insight as to the current state of things now.I have been made aware that maybe there has been a power shift- whereas Bournemouth used to be the undisputed king of animation degrees in the UK - there is now a lot of competition. I have also been told that Bournemouth are lowering their standards? I was concerned because i got an unconditional offer to bournemouth without having to do an interview or anything? This makes me suspicious whereas with Hertfordshire i am having to go for an interview in February. Is Bournemouth still as good as it was? Or has Hertfordshire surpassed it now?Any insight would be great :smile:
Reply 1
I know a couple of people studying at bournemouth doing computer animation. They love it. the facilities are top quality, theres always something to do in Bournemouth. It's a really nice area, and who wouldn't want to study and live by the beach? None of my mates had to do an interview for this course last year? the only course off the top of my head you need to do interviews for is anything like nursing etc. so for Hertfordshire to ask you to an interview is a bit of a surprise.

I actually live in an area in Hertfordshire. It's great as you are only a 20 minute train ride shoud you want to head to london. But, im trying not to be biased. Hatfield where the uni is situated isnt that nice. I dont want to seem biased towards Bournemouth but having lived my whole life in Hertfordshire... ehhh its average at best. Of course though, at the end of the day It's where you want to study/ live for the next 3/4 years. I know Bournemouth offer incentives. if you achive at least AAA or BTEC DDD they give you a pre paid card loaded with £1,000 to spend on whatever you want in your first year which is pretty nice and of course they have the sport and music scholarships. Anyway i will stop rambling, if you want to know anything more in depth about Hertfordshire, I presume you can private message on here? if so feel free to drop me a message.

Hope this has helped!
I study at Bournemouth, and one of my mates just finished his masters in animation a couple of months back. He’s getting job offers left, right and centre from all over the world, including from the USA.
Reply 3
Hey! I'm in exactly the same situation as you, I've had offers from both unis, but Bournemouth gave me an unconditional too. I'd love to chat and see what you end up choosing because let me tell you my interview at Herts has completely thrown me, they're very good at persuading!
I'm going to visit Bournemouth AGAIN in Feb so that I can scrutinise them now with all the information I have from interviews etc, then hopefully make my decision soon :eek:
Original post by ohboi
Hey! I'm in exactly the same situation as you, I've had offers from both unis, but Bournemouth gave me an unconditional too. I'd love to chat and see what you end up choosing because let me tell you my interview at Herts has completely thrown me, they're very good at persuading!
I'm going to visit Bournemouth AGAIN in Feb so that I can scrutinise them now with all the information I have from interviews etc, then hopefully make my decision soon :eek:

Hi, pleased that you are coming to visit again this month, are you staying overnight? It'll really help you to get the feel of the town.

We still have an amazing reputation in animation and just because you received an unconditional offer doesn't mean we're lowering standards. It's more than likely do to your predicted results, experience and the qualities you presented on your personal statement. It's great you're doing your research though.

I wasn't sure if you've applied for the MA or BA, but if it's the BA, you could also apply for a £10,000 scholarship, see here: https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/fees-funding/scholarships/ukeu-student-scholarships/subject-achievement-scholarship-animation-games. Typical graduate starting roles include: Technical Director (in computer animation and digital effects),
Technical Artist (in computer games), Visual Artist, Software Producer, Game Developer, 3D Artist, Visual Effects Tech Developer. Our NCCA graduates have gone on to work on some of the most successful films of recent times, including Avatar, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Interstellar, Gravity and Alice in Wonderland, to name just a few. Our previous students have also enjoyed some great placements including: Blue Zoo (animation), Microsoft Rare (games), Electronic Arts (games), Geomerics (rendering technology).

I hope you enjoy your visit and ensure you look at the new Poole Gateway whilst you visit too: https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/about/professional-services/estates/developing-our-campuses/poole-gateway-development

Many Thanks

Vicki
Reply 5
I applied and went to an interview for both last year (didn't end up going to university for personal reasons...) and Hertfordshire this year (got a place on Games Art & Design!). They're both fantastic for animation!

I would certainly recommend looking at the modules for both. Bournemouth University seem to have a lot more local facilities for clubbing, pubbing e.t.c., while Hatfield, the town Hertfordshire University is based in, is a lot quieter (save for The Galleria and the universities Forum). However, as it's just a short train trip to London, or a bus ride to St Albans (or Stevenage if you fancy going a bit further) if you want access to any oth

In my honest opinion, I would recommend BU if you're a fairly active student who likes to party and participate in the more risky and wild parts of student life, or HU if, like me, you much prefer a calmer, more chilled out atmosphere. I would also like to add that Hertfordshire's structure allows for you to study 3D Games Art, VFX or 2D Animation together with 3D in the first year, and if you find that you prefer one of the other subjects, they allow you to switch.

Just to let you know, BU are phasing out their 3D Animation Art & Design course (but not the Technical Arts side) as far as I've heard. I don't think they'll close the course when there're still people studying it, but it's worth looking into.
Reply 6
Original post by Saphie B
I applied and went to an interview for both last year (didn't end up going to university for personal reasons...) and Hertfordshire this year (got a place on Games Art & Design!). They're both fantastic for animation!

I would certainly recommend looking at the modules for both. Bournemouth University seem to have a lot more local facilities for clubbing, pubbing e.t.c., while Hatfield, the town Hertfordshire University is based in, is a lot quieter (save for The Galleria and the universities Forum). However, as it's just a short train trip to London, or a bus ride to St Albans (or Stevenage if you fancy going a bit further) if you want access to any oth

In my honest opinion, I would recommend BU if you're a fairly active student who likes to party and participate in the more risky and wild parts of student life, or HU if, like me, you much prefer a calmer, more chilled out atmosphere. I would also like to add that Hertfordshire's structure allows for you to study 3D Games Art, VFX or 2D Animation together with 3D in the first year, and if you find that you prefer one of the other subjects, they allow you to switch.

Just to let you know, BU are phasing out their 3D Animation Art & Design course (but not the Technical Arts side) as far as I've heard. I don't think they'll close the course when there're still people studying it, but it's worth looking into.

Hi!
Where did you hear that bournemouth are phasing out that course? That could present some concern for me.
Reply 7
Original post by Linpheo
Hi!
Where did you hear that bournemouth are phasing out that course? That could present some concern for me.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/16395740.bournemouth-university-to-cut-jobs-and-courses-in-shake-up/
I think they're closing Computer Animation Art and Design, but not Computer Animation Technical Art. Probably won't happen for while, but it's worth asking about if you get the chance!
Original post by Linpheo
Hi!

Hi, can I please suggest that if you have any concerns you contact us directly as this is the first I've heard about this.

To clarify any concerns and to receive an official response please email [email protected]

Also as a side note, Bournemouth isn't just about partying (although that's certainly a popular option), there is plenty to do that's chilled out including local walks, the beach, joining a society and plenty of quieter bars dotted about too :-)

Vicki
Original post by Linpheo
Hi!

Original post by Saphie B
https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/16395740.bournemouth-university-to-cut-jobs-and-courses-in-shake-up/
I think they're closing Computer Animation Art and Design, but not Computer Animation Technical Art. Probably won't happen for while, but it's worth asking about if you get the chance!

Current NCCA student here!!

That article is extremely misleading and has been cropping up in a lot of these threads. The uni is NOT closing any of the currently available courses.
The article is refering to the 'restructure' the courses had starting with 2017 entry, meaning that the units takes place at different times of the year and the courses have new names. That's all.

I started in 2016 so my course title is Computer Visualisation and Animation, which now you can't study because it has been renamed to Computer Animation Technical Arts but is fundementally the same course. The same goes for what was Computer Animation Arts, which is now Computer Animation Art and Design.

Panic not future animators! :h:

I am also happy to answer any questions you may have for a current student on the course. I'm here every Thursday morning.

- Laura, 3rd year computer animation student
Reply 10
Original post by BU Students
Current NCCA student here!!

That article is extremely misleading and has been cropping up in a lot of these threads. The uni is NOT closing any of the currently available courses.
The article is refering to the 'restructure' the courses had starting with 2017 entry, meaning that the units takes place at different times of the year and the courses have new names. That's all.

I started in 2016 so my course title is Computer Visualisation and Animation, which now you can't study because it has been renamed to Computer Animation Technical Arts but is fundementally the same course. The same goes for what was Computer Animation Arts, which is now Computer Animation Art and Design.

Panic not future animators! :h:

I am also happy to answer any questions you may have for a current student on the course. I'm here every Thursday morning.

- Laura, 3rd year computer animation student

Oh okay - thank you! i was going to say it's a little bit strange that they are building a new build for the media kids and then getting rid of one of the courses - which is meant to be one of the best in the world! Thnaks for the clarification :smile:

Would you say that the course is what it is cracked up to be - especially the art and design course as that is what i have applied for?
Original post by Linpheo
Oh okay - thank you! i was going to say it's a little bit strange that they are building a new build for the media kids and then getting rid of one of the courses - which is meant to be one of the best in the world! Thnaks for the clarification :smile:

Would you say that the course is what it is cracked up to be - especially the art and design course as that is what i have applied for?

In terms of the reputation that the uni has in the industry, the opportunities to network and the expertese of the lecturers - yes.
IMHO I was a little surprised by how much we are expected to learn for ourselves rather than being taught absolutely everything. That could be something unique to this kind of course or this uni, or it could just be the university teaching method in general - I'm not sure. That being said the contact hours are very good in first year (decreasing towards final year), and the lecturers are very happy to be contacted and will meet up with you to help with anything. There are also demonstrators, who are recently graduated experts who are there to help out during workshops and for us to whine at when computer says no. First and second years share two labs on the first floor and third years have their own downstairs, but everyone is still free to float between. The animation students have a nice little community and we help eachother out across courses and levels.

So lots of support available in lieu of direct teaching. I guess it's to prepare us for life in the industry and make us work for the answers :smile:

- Laura
Original post by BU Students
In terms of the reputation that the uni has in the industry, the opportunities to network and the expertese of the lecturers - yes.
IMHO I was a little surprised by how much we are expected to learn for ourselves rather than being taught absolutely everything. That could be something unique to this kind of course or this uni, or it could just be the university teaching method in general - I'm not sure. That being said the contact hours are very good in first year (decreasing towards final year), and the lecturers are very happy to be contacted and will meet up with you to help with anything. There are also demonstrators, who are recently graduated experts who are there to help out during workshops and for us to whine at when computer says no. First and second years share two labs on the first floor and third years have their own downstairs, but everyone is still free to float between. The animation students have a nice little community and we help eachother out across courses and levels.

So lots of support available in lieu of direct teaching. I guess it's to prepare us for life in the industry and make us work for the answers :smile:

- Laura

Sorry to post on a slightly older thread, but I had a few questions about the course if that's alright? I'm leaning toward firming BU at the moment since the students' work looks amazing and Bournemouth itself is quite nice. But I'm slightly worried about the mathematical content of the course, as I'm not keen on maths at all and I'm going into animation for the artistic and storytelling parts of it rather than the maths and physics side. How much of a focus is maths in the course, and is there more maths/technical stuff or art and story kind of things? Also, what kinds of jobs do people go into afterwards, and are they all in the UK or do some go abroad? I was also curious about the work placements, and whether or not they're common, if people stay in the UK to do them or go abroad, and if so whether many people manage to go abroad to do a work placement?

Work placement is up to you where you want to go, if you would like to work abroad then you can and BU have dedicated members of staff to help with the placement process. You can also chose to study abroad in your second year for one semester with options in Europe and the USA. I am not on this course but the way my course and most others are structured are you’ll learn 6 “units” 3 of these are in semester one and the other 3 are in the final two semesters, if you look at the course structure on the BU website you can work out how much maths/ physics is involved. If you are still unsure I’d recommend either calling up the uni and see if you can have a chat with someone about the course, or alternatively you could send an email just stating your concern and see what they say. Hope this has helped!
Original post by hollyhorse
Sorry to post on a slightly older thread, but I had a few questions about the course if that's alright? I'm leaning toward firming BU at the moment since the students' work looks amazing and Bournemouth itself is quite nice. But I'm slightly worried about the mathematical content of the course, as I'm not keen on maths at all and I'm going into animation for the artistic and storytelling parts of it rather than the maths and physics side. How much of a focus is maths in the course, and is there more maths/technical stuff or art and story kind of things? Also, what kinds of jobs do people go into afterwards, and are they all in the UK or do some go abroad? I was also curious about the work placements, and whether or not they're common, if people stay in the UK to do them or go abroad, and if so whether many people manage to go abroad to do a work placement?

Original post by Conorr98
Work placement is up to you where you want to go, if you would like to work abroad then you can and BU have dedicated members of staff to help with the placement process. You can also chose to study abroad in your second year for one semester with options in Europe and the USA. I am not on this course but the way my course and most others are structured are you’ll learn 6 “units” 3 of these are in semester one and the other 3 are in the final two semesters, if you look at the course structure on the BU website you can work out how much maths/ physics is involved. If you are still unsure I’d recommend either calling up the uni and see if you can have a chat with someone about the course, or alternatively you could send an email just stating your concern and see what they say. Hope this has helped!

Thank you! It helped a lot :smile:
Hiya @hollyhorse,
Conorr98 has given some great advice there. I would also like to add that if you are still unsure, I would recommend coming along to an open day/taster day where you could have the opportunity to talk to lectures and academics about your concerns, have a look here on our website! Alternatively, if you look at the course online there is often a tab called 'our staff' where you can email the lecturers directly to ask any specific questions that you may have.
Hope this helps!
Alice
Original post by Conorr98

Thank you! It helped a lot :smile:
Hi!
Have you chosen between CATA and CAAD? They are our two animation courses at BU and we also run a Visual Effects course which is new.
Computer Animation Technical Arts (CATA) runs 3 hours of maths lectures a week for one semester of first and second year, which supports the programming units taken in the other semester. Computer Animation Art and Design (CAAD) teaches no maths or programming, and is entirely about the artistic and storytelling parts whereas CATA is 50/50 art and science. So, if you don't want anything to do with the technical side we have a course for you :smile:

Placement wise, it's really quite rare for people to do them as they're so difficult to get in this industry. I know of 3 people on them this year, who are in China, Vancouver and Newcastle - so it's possible to go wherever you want to, the same should go for jobs afterwards.

There are a lot of jobs available after doing one of these courses, look up the animation pipeline as you could fit anywhere along there.

- Laura, 3rd year animation student

I don't know if anyone will reply, but I am in the same situation currently...struggling to choose which offer to accept. I visited Bournemouth and loved the location, especially the beach. I was unable to visit Hertforshire (I am an international student) so I was never on location, but I have read that Hatfield isn't known for being fun or dynamic?
I do however lean towards the Hertfordshire course more, because I want to enter the film industry afterwards and a more creative background will probably be easier for this...Especially since I don't see myself getting into post production or doing special effects(I enjoy more hands on visual tasks).
I guess Im now down to choosing between location or course, any advice?
Hi! I'm a current student at Hertfordshire. While it is true that Hatfield is not the most interesting location for a university campus, there are several towns within a short bus or train ride which contain entertainment such as bowling alleys, cinemas, escape rooms e.t.c. Hatfield does have a few good options for entertainment - that being a cinema, and a comic shop.I think that the course more than makes up for this; and you'll be in classes or hanging around with other people on the course during most of the weekdays ^^
Original post by lunacherry
I don't know if anyone will reply, but I am in the same situation currently...struggling to choose which offer to accept. I visited Bournemouth and loved the location, especially the beach. I was unable to visit Hertforshire (I am an international student) so I was never on location, but I have read that Hatfield isn't known for being fun or dynamic?
I do however lean towards the Hertfordshire course more, because I want to enter the film industry afterwards and a more creative background will probably be easier for this...Especially since I don't see myself getting into post production or doing special effects(I enjoy more hands on visual tasks).
I guess Im now down to choosing between location or course, any advice?

Hi, so pleased you loved Bournemouth! Did you make your decision? I think at both universities it's worth considering how they will deliver the course within the current climate. Consider the entire uni approach (online/mixed/attendance if allowed) and for how long, some uni's have said it'll be online first term others have said the whole year. We don't really know right now for sure but I believe Bournemouth is planning for a mixed methods approach for the Autumn term, further details to come. Look at your first year unis, are there any which would be difficult to study online or any where you really feel would reduce the quality of the course?

Location is important as it'll be home for at least 3 years, but enjoying the course is also important. Was there anything you didn't like about the course at Bournemouth? Think about the other factors too such as placement opportunities (great here), jobs (we are a tourist town so have loads), clubs and societies, and location of halls etc. Could you also consider specialising with a postgraduate degree?

If you have any questions, please ask.

Many Thanks

Vicki

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending