The Student Room Group

Do universities look at your GCSE grades?

I know GCSE's are important but do universities even look at your GCSE grades or do they only care about A-levels?
Reply 1
Original post by bella.ii
I know GCSE's are important but do universities even look at your GCSE grades or do they only care about A-levels?

Yes they certainly look. As to their importance that will depend on the course and the university.

I know this is a bit early, but what sort of university courses are you thinking about?
Reply 2
I know it sounds ambitious but either maths or economics at oxbridge?

Original post by Doonesbury
Yes they certainly look. As to their importance that will depend on the course and the university.

I know this is a bit early, but what sort of university courses are you thinking about?
Reply 3
I know it sounds ambitious but either maths or economics at oxbridge?

Well for Maths at Cambridge or Oxford your maths is by far the most important thing. For Oxford the MAT is more important than GCSEs, and for Cambridge there's no GCSE requirements and STEP plays a big part of the process.

Also, I noticed your other thread asking about doing 5 A-levels... what are your predicted GCSE grades? Having 3 (or at most 4) good A-levels are much more important that attempting 5...
Reply 4
My predicted grades are all 7s or higher except English which is a 6. I was asking about 5 A levels because the sixth form I want to go to makes you take 5 A levels if you want to do further maths because they require all students to do 4 A levels anyway but count maths and further maths as one option
Well for Maths at Cambridge or Oxford your maths is by far the most important thing. For Oxford the MAT is more important than GCSEs, and for Cambridge there's no GCSE requirements and STEP plays a big part of the process.

Also, I noticed your other thread asking about doing 5 A-levels... what are your predicted GCSE grades? Having 3 (or at most 4) good A-levels are much more important that attempting 5...
Reply 5
the sixth form I want to go to makes you take 5 A levels if you want to do further maths because they require all students to do 4 A levels anyway but count maths and further maths as one option

That's sounds daft. Are you sure you have got that right? Usually the only time you would consider doing 4 is if you are doing Maths & FM. But that doesn't mean you have to do 5.
Reply 6
Yeah I'm sure as I've already had an interview with them and asked about it. But I would be able to drop 1 subject at the end of year 12 and just do it as an As, which I would probably do

That's sounds daft. Are you sure you have got that right? Usually the only time you would consider doing 4 is if you are doing Maths & FM. But that doesn't mean you have to do 5.
A level's play a bigger role of course since they are more difficult.
I believe Universities have a glance over your GCSEs and use that as a piece of information on whether an individual should be offered an unconditional offer along with other factors :u:

Spoiler

Yeah I'm sure as I've already had an interview with them and asked about it. But I would be able to drop 1 subject at the end of year 12 and just do it as an As, which I would probably do

Exactly the same as my school - everyone starts with 4 and drops one or start with 5 (you can only do 5 if one of them is further maths) and drop 1. A Levels are more important but having good GCSEs mprove your chances of getting into top unis. Do your best & good luck :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by x.emilye
Exactly the same as my school - everyone starts with 4 and drops one or start with 5 (you can only do 5 if one of them is further maths) and drop 1. A Levels are more important but having good GCSEs mprove your chances of getting into top unis. Do your best & good luck :smile:

Does your school allow you to include an EPQ in your 4? That would be a more useful qualification than a spare subject.
Does your school allow you to include an EPQ in your 4? That would be a more useful qualification than a spare subject.

No - EPQ is an extra thing done in year 13 if you choose to do it
Reply 11
Original post by x.emilye
No - EPQ is an extra thing done in year 13 if you choose to do it

As I said earlier, daft. Especially when the Y13 workload is higher than it used to be because you have Y13 *and* Y12 to revise.

No university requires 4 A-levels, nevermind 5.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest