The Student Room Group

GCSE November 2018 Maths resit for Edexcel 9-1 Paper 2

Hi, just taken the maths exam and have to say that it was much easier than paper 1.

What answers did you get to some of the questions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Daniel Graham
Hi, just taken the maths exam and have to say that it was much easier than paper 1.

What answers did you get to some of the questions?

Exactly it was easy for the paint question I got he has enough to cover what ever it was
And for the the question where u compare the interest of 2 companies I picked the left side one
Original post by Hussain758539
Exactly it was easy for the paint question I got he has enough to cover what ever it was
And for the the question where u compare the interest of 2 companies I picked the left side one

Yeah for compound interest I got Ali too. For factorising on the last page I got (X+1) (X+3)

Standard form 7.452 x 10to the power of -8 - Not sure if this is right tho.

I got £4 difference for that bonus question...
Original post by Hussain758539

II also got he had enough but the answer is he dosnt because u can't have 9.1 cans so it was 10x16.99 And for the company one I got Ben on the right 20 pounds more
Hey guys, what else was on these papers, what topics?
Hey, can you please tell me what topics come up in paper 1? Thanksss
yeah can you tell us the answers for our mock lol
Everyone that's asking for the topics are definitely sitting these papers as mocks 😂
Reply 8
Gon a post all the questions I can remember
Question 1 was venn diagrams, you had to plot the data in the Venn diagram (3 circle diagram). Then question 1b was something about the intersection.
Can't remember Question 2,
Question 3 was a student who'd plotted his data, you had to say what was wrong with the way he'd plotted it. Basically his line of best fit was inaccurate and his x axis scale was not linear
One of the questions was interest. There were two people who invested £2000 and £1600 in two bank accounts with different amounts of interest. You had to say who earned more after 3 years. Then the next part to that question was if the second accounts interest changed to 4% for the third year, would it affect who earned more interest. Ben (second one who invested £1600 in a higher interest bank account) made more interest. Remember to subtract the amount they made after 3 years from original amount to see who made more. Another question was about paint. John wanted to paint an area (it was a trapezium, but it gave the value of the top and the bottom, so you could work out the area of the square and both the other triangles to work out the total area of the trapezium, the question says he has £160 to spend, each tin of paint costs £16.99, does he have enough to paint the area of the room? He needs 9.1 cans but that isn't possible as you can't buy 0.1 of a can, so he needs 10 cans which is £169.90 so he doesn't have enough. There's another question involving paint, it's a ratio one. Yellow and blue paint are used in ratio 2:3 to make green paint, a 5 litre can of yellow paint costs x (they give you the value I just forgot) and a 10litre can costs x (also give u the value) he sells the paint for x amount, work out the percentage profit. Can't actually remember what I got for this question There's also a question of angles and reasoning, you had to find angle x. First thing I saw was the angle in the top left (forgot value) was equal to two other angles which I forgot the values to also. This is because alternate angles are equal. Then I find out the other angle in the triangle by adding the other two angles on the straight line and subtracting from 180 as angles in a straight line add up to 180degrees. Then I added the two known angles in the triangle and subtracted from 180. This gave me x, 60 degrees.
Another question was a transformation question which I didn't get but you had to draw a reflection of the shape P in the line y=-x And then a reflection of that shape in the line x=1(or -1 not sure). Then you had to describe the single transformation that places original shape onto last shape. There was a density question which you have to know that D=M/V
So there's a frustrum. You have to find the volume of the cone the larger cone (equations for cone and sphere are given) and the volume of the smaller cone. You then subtract the volume of the smaller cone from the larger cone to get the volume of the frustrum. Then you do the area of the sphere and divide by two as the entire shape is a frustrum added to a hemisphere. You then work out the mass which is the volume x density (densities are given) once you get mass for both, add them together then divide by total volume of shape this will give you an answer of 4.059... something idk. I rounded to 4.2g/cm^3. There was a circle theorem question right at the end. There was also a question where you had to prove that there were 1335 combinations that this woman could have for her meal. Different combinations were: a main and dessert, a main, dessert and starter, and a main and starter (something like that, idk) but to show it, you had to times the values and add them together. Aaaand that's all I can remember. Hope this helped.
Reply 9
Got u bruv. Check my reply to the thread
Original post by JoshWalters
yeah can you tell us the answers for our mock lol
tyyy xx we just sat paper 1, total **** show
Original post by 1703ym
Got u bruv. Check my reply to the thread
Reply 11
Original post by audxree
tyyy xx we just sat paper 1, total **** show

Paper 1 was atrocious. Also remembered a couple more questions. One was probability. First part you had to do 0.65×0.35 and times the answer by 2. Second part I think I divided the amount of counters (70 something) by 0.65 or and then multiplied the answer by 0.35.
Another question was a calculator question, you had to put some numbers into your calculator and work out the answer. You had to give it in standard form and to 3 significant figures. The answer was 3.80x10^5
yeah i got similar answers
Original post by 1703ym
Question 1 was venn diagrams, you had to plot the data in the Venn diagram (3 circle diagram). Then question 1b was something about the intersection.
Question 3 was a student who'd plotted his data, you had to say what was wrong with the way he'd plotted it. Basically his line of best fit was inaccurate and his x axis scale was not linear
One of the questions was interest. There were two people who invested £2000 and £1600 in two bank accounts with different amounts of interest. You had to say who earned more after 3 years. Then the next part to that question was if the second accounts interest changed to 4% for the third year, would it affect who earned more interest. Ben (second one who invested £1600 in a higher interest bank account) made more interest. Remember to subtract the amount they made after 3 years from original amount to see who made more. Another question was about paint. John wanted to paint an area (it was a trapezium, but it gave the value of the top and the bottom, so you could work out the area of the square and both the other triangles to work out the total area of the trapezium, the question says he has £160 to spend, each tin of paint costs £16.99, does he have enough to paint the area of the room? He needs 9.1 cans but that isn't possible as you can't buy 0.1 of a can, so he needs 10 cans which is £169.90 so he doesn't have enough. There's another question involving paint, it's a ratio one. Yellow and blue paint are used in ratio 2:3 to make green paint, a 5 litre can of yellow paint costs x (they give you the value I just forgot) and a 10litre can costs x (also give u the value) he sells the paint for x amount, work out the percentage profit. Can't actually remember what I got for this question There's also a question of angles and reasoning, you had to find angle x. First thing I saw was the angle in the top left (forgot value) was equal to two other angles which I forgot the values to also. This is because alternate angles are equal. Then I find out the other angle in the triangle by adding the other two angles on the straight line and subtracting from 180 as angles in a straight line add up to 180degrees. Then I added the two known angles in the triangle and subtracted from 180. This gave me x, 60 degrees.
Another question was a transformation question which I didn't get but you had to draw a reflection of the shape P in the line y=-x And then a reflection of that shape in the line x=1(or -1 not sure). Then you had to describe the single transformation that places original shape onto last shape. There was a density question which you have to know that D=M/V
So there's a frustrum. You have to find the volume of the cone the larger cone (equations for cone and sphere are given) and the volume of the smaller cone. You then subtract the volume of the smaller cone from the larger cone to get the volume of the frustrum. Then you do the area of the sphere and divide by two as the entire shape is a frustrum added to a hemisphere. You then work out the mass which is the volume x density (densities are given) once you get mass for both, add them together then divide by total volume of shape this will give you an answer of 4.059... something idk. I rounded to 4.2g/cm^3. There was a circle theorem question right at the end. There was also a question where you had to prove that there were 1335 combinations that this woman could have for her meal. Different combinations were: a main and dessert, a main, dessert and starter, and a main and starter (something like that, idk) but to show it, you had to times the values and add them together. Aaaand that's all I can remember. Hope this helped.
Can you tell me the answers for paper 1, please?
Original post by 1703ym
Reply 14
I dont even remember
no problem thanks

Original post by 1703ym
I dont even remember
Thank you
Original post by 1703ym
gon a post all the questions i can remember
question 1 was venn diagrams, you had to plot the data in the venn diagram (3 circle diagram). Then question 1b was something about the intersection.
Can't remember question 2,
question 3 was a student who'd plotted his data, you had to say what was wrong with the way he'd plotted it. Basically his line of best fit was inaccurate and his x axis scale was not linear
one of the questions was interest. There were two people who invested £2000 and £1600 in two bank accounts with different amounts of interest. You had to say who earned more after 3 years. Then the next part to that question was if the second accounts interest changed to 4% for the third year, would it affect who earned more interest. Ben (second one who invested £1600 in a higher interest bank account) made more interest. Remember to subtract the amount they made after 3 years from original amount to see who made more. Another question was about paint. John wanted to paint an area (it was a trapezium, but it gave the value of the top and the bottom, so you could work out the area of the square and both the other triangles to work out the total area of the trapezium, the question says he has £160 to spend, each tin of paint costs £16.99, does he have enough to paint the area of the room? He needs 9.1 cans but that isn't possible as you can't buy 0.1 of a can, so he needs 10 cans which is £169.90 so he doesn't have enough. There's another question involving paint, it's a ratio one. Yellow and blue paint are used in ratio 2:3 to make green paint, a 5 litre can of yellow paint costs x (they give you the value i just forgot) and a 10litre can costs x (also give u the value) he sells the paint for x amount, work out the percentage profit. Can't actually remember what i got for this question there's also a question of angles and reasoning, you had to find angle x. First thing i saw was the angle in the top left (forgot value) was equal to two other angles which i forgot the values to also. This is because alternate angles are equal. Then i find out the other angle in the triangle by adding the other two angles on the straight line and subtracting from 180 as angles in a straight line add up to 180degrees. Then i added the two known angles in the triangle and subtracted from 180. This gave me x, 60 degrees.
Another question was a transformation question which i didn't get but you had to draw a reflection of the shape p in the line y=-x and then a reflection of that shape in the line x=1(or -1 not sure). Then you had to describe the single transformation that places original shape onto last shape. There was a density question which you have to know that d=m/v
so there's a frustrum. You have to find the volume of the cone the larger cone (equations for cone and sphere are given) and the volume of the smaller cone. You then subtract the volume of the smaller cone from the larger cone to get the volume of the frustrum. Then you do the area of the sphere and divide by two as the entire shape is a frustrum added to a hemisphere. You then work out the mass which is the volume x density (densities are given) once you get mass for both, add them together then divide by total volume of shape this will give you an answer of 4.059... Something idk. I rounded to 4.2g/cm^3. There was a circle theorem question right at the end. There was also a question where you had to prove that there were 1335 combinations that this woman could have for her meal. Different combinations were: A main and dessert, a main, dessert and starter, and a main and starter (something like that, idk) but to show it, you had to times the values and add them together. Aaaand that's all i can remember. Hope this helped.
Hey Guys! Who has the November 2018 resit Edexcel maths Paper 2 and 3????
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by natasha145
Hey Guys! Who has the November 2018 resit Paper 2 and 3????

Only teachers have access to it
Original post by 1703ym
only teachers have access to it

yeah rip loool thay gave it for our mocks aswell.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending