The Student Room Group

Getting a job while in uni

What are people’s opinions on getting a part time job while in uni. I’m hopefully going to be doing a physics and education corse but unsure weather I’ll have time for a job but if I don’t then how will I live on money from uni?
i know a girl who is balancing at 25 hour job and doing uni. I think thats a bit much, and it depends on your contact hours, but you can for sure manage an 8 - 12 hour job!
Loads of people have a part-time job whilst studying at uni. I have a part time job at asda and I’m in my first year at uni doing a maths degree. At first I found it hard with the workload but now I’m used to it because I only do a couple of evenings. You should try and get a job and see if you can cope with it (:
Reply 3
Original post by Dairymilk2010
Loads of people have a part-time job whilst studying at uni. I have a part time job at asda and I’m in my first year at uni doing a maths degree. At first I found it hard with the workload but now I’m used to it because I only do a couple of evenings. You should try and get a job and see if you can cope with it (:

Thank you 😊
Reply 4
You'll always have time if you manage your time properly. 15 hours max a week is not bad. The people who do well academically while having a job will look very good when applying for a job or postgrad
Reply 5
Original post by nvm787
You'll always have time if you manage your time properly. 15 hours max a week is not bad. The people who do well academically while having a job will look very good when applying for a job or postgrad

Thank you !
Reply 6
Original post by Becky_x56
What are people’s opinions on getting a part time job while in uni. I’m hopefully going to be doing a physics and education corse but unsure weather I’ll have time for a job but if I don’t then how will I live on money from uni?

If you genuinely need to, make sure you schedule your work and complete important work as early as possible. It'll be stressful, but the experience will be worth it tbh, especially for any sort of interview for internship/graduate scheme or even summer part time job which require some level of time management skills.
I wouldn't personally, especially if you're expected to read large volumes of work. Obviously if you think you're going to struggle with money then you may have to, but don't if you can avoid it.
Original post by Becky_x56

Hey! Have a look at the student jobs available at the university because a lot of these are very flexible and fit around you studies well :smile:
Sophia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending