The Student Room Group

The Nervous System - Homework help

I am am currently in my second year of studying A-level biology and i have been given a crossword to complete as homework. I am stuck on these four particular words:

1) Part of the neurone which enlarges to ensure fast transmission speeds (5 letters, 4 letters)

2) Fluid found in the centre of the vertebrates hollow dorsal nerve cord (18 letters)

3) Neurones such as these must have continuous conduction (12 letters)

4) A chemical that binds to a receptor and activates the receptor to produce a biological response (7 letters)
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JessNaomi19600
I am am currently in my second year of studying A-level biology and i have been given a crossword to complete as homework. I am stuck on these three particular words:

Which words?
1) (have you mistyped enlarge twice?) nerve axon
2) cerebrospinal fluid
3) ??? (cardiomyocytes [but 14 letters]?)
4) agonist
yes I mistyped, just going to change it, and thank you for your help :smile:

Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
2) cerebrospinal fluid
4) agonist
My pleasure, and thank you for the rep - ever so nice of you! :colondollar:
I should have mentioned earlier but number 1 has to have the forth letter as N and the eighth letter as O. Also, for number 3, the second letter is N, the fifth letter is E, the eighth letter is N and the eleventh letter is E.

2) cerebrospinal fluid
4) agonist
Ok - give me a few minutes to supply glucose to my brain (by eating) - you might know glucose is the main substrate of the cerebral neurones for energy! :smile:

A challenge is what drives Sheldon!

See ya soon.
Ok, thank you very much for your help :smile:
Ok - give me a few minutes to supply glucose to my brain (by eating) - you might know glucose is the main substrate of the cerebral neurones for energy! :smile:

A challenge is what drives Sheldon!

See ya soon.
1 - ganglion
3 -nonmyelinated
4 -acetylcholine

these are my guesses - see if they fit
Unmyelinated for number 3?
(edited 5 years ago)
Thank you for your help, the only one I need now is number 1 but ganglion doesn't fit, thank you anyway :smile:
Original post by bitter_raabit
1 - ganglion
3 -nonmyelinated
4 -acetylcholine

these are my guesses - see if they fit
Yes! that's it, thank you! :smile:
Original post by Musicalsnerd
Unmyelinated for number 3?
Thank you for your help everyone, I only need number one now :smile: :
1) Part of the neurone that enlarges to ensure fast transmission speeds (5 letters followed by 4 letters) (4th letter is N and the 8th letter is O)
GOT IT, Jess! Wakie Wakie - ok you are clubbing!! :u: - check your phone: @JessNaomi19600

It's …………………...yeheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee………………………………………….
……………………………………….
……………………...GIANT AXON!

And don't get too drunk!
Ohhh, thanks so much :smile:
GOT IT, Jess! Wakie Wakie - ok you are clubbing!! :u: - check your phone: @JessNaomi19600

It's …………………...yeheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee………………………………………….
……………………………………….
……………………...GIANT AXON!

And don't get too drunk!
Good Morning Britain - this is TV a.m.!! (futile attempt to say Hi to students at 7.30 a.m. on a Sunday morning haha!) - I suppose I will have to wait for 4.5 hours before anyone stirs in their beds!
@JessNaomi19600

Well done that you were burning the midnight oil at 11.30 p.m. last night (or were you sitting in O2 Arena?!!)
Just to give you a bit more detail on last night's answer of GIANT AXON for part (1) in your x-word:-

The transmission velocity of the action potential in the axon of a neurone partly depends on its diameter. The wider the axon, the faster the transmission. The fastest (widest) fibres are the alpha fibres, then beta etc. (these are further subdivided, but DON'T WORRY ABOUT that at all at A level.

The axons on which the original research was performed (to elucidate how the resting potential is generated, and how Na+ entry causes the AP, etc.) was done using the axon of the squid (sorry to divert, but apparently, they keep them in fish tanks live with lobsters etc. in the far east (in outdoor "cafes"); you just choose what you fancy, then they pull it out from the tank and cook it for you fresh!! - do you like sea-food - I don't! - yuk! :colone:), which is a massive 1 mm in diameter, so it is easier to insert electrodes. This is the axon known as "GIANT AXON".

Bye!
Original post by JessNaomi19600
I am am currently in my second year of studying A-level biology and i have been given a crossword to complete as homework. I am stuck on these four particular words:

1) Part of the neurone which enlarges to ensure fast transmission speeds (5 letters, 4 letters)

2) Fluid found in the centre of the vertebrates hollow dorsal nerve cord (18 letters)

3) Neurones such as these must have continuous conduction (12 letters)

4) A chemical that binds to a receptor and activates the receptor to produce a biological response (7 letters)

1 - not too sure.
2 - cerebrospinal fluid
3 - unmyelinated - as opposed to a myelinated axon where there is saltatory conduction where the action potential jumps from one node of Ranvier to the other.
4 - I would say a hormone.
Thank you for the extra info :smile:
Good Morning Britain - this is TV a.m.!! (futile attempt to say Hi to students at 7.30 a.m. on a Sunday morning haha!) - I suppose I will have to wait for 4.5 hours before anyone stirs in their beds!
@JessNaomi19600

Well done that you were burning the midnight oil at 11.30 p.m. last night (or were you sitting in O2 Arena?!!)
Just to give you a bit more detail on last night's answer of GIANT AXON for part (1) in your x-word:-

The transmission velocity of the action potential in the axon of a neurone partly depends on its diameter. The wider the axon, the faster the transmission. The fastest (widest) fibres are the alpha fibres, then beta etc. (these are further subdivided, but DON'T WORRY ABOUT that at all at A level.

The axons on which the original research was performed (to elucidate how the resting potential is generated, and how Na+ entry causes the AP, etc.) was done using the axon of the squid (sorry to divert, but apparently, they keep them in fish tanks live with lobsters etc. in the far east (in outdoor "cafes"); you just choose what you fancy, then they pull it out from the tank and cook it for you fresh!! - do you like sea-food - I don't! - yuk! :colone:), which is a massive 1 mm in diameter, so it is easier to insert electrodes. This is the axon known as "GIANT AXON".

Bye!
I have all of them now, thank you anyway :smile:
Original post by Jpw1097
1 - not too sure.
2 - cerebrospinal fluid
3 - unmyelinated - as opposed to a myelinated axon where there is saltatory conduction where the action potential jumps from one node of Ranvier to the other.
4 - I would say a hormone.
Thank you for your help everyone, I have completed the nervous system crossword now. However, I am stuck on the last word of another homework crossword on the kidney. The clue is this:

The knot of capillaries inside the Bowman's capsule (6 letters) (the 4th letter is S)

I thought it was the glomerulus but it doesn't fit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending