The Student Room Group

Path to Being a Construction Project Manager - Urban Planning or GP Surveying

Dear all,

I am hoping to get into the construction industry through graduate entry with a Master degree, though my Bachelor was irrelevant. My ultimate goal is being a Construction Project Manager.

These are my research results:

My initial interest was Urban Planning, but I found that the global employment rate is too low. Australia is an exception in Urban Planning, and this is good for me as I have planned to study and work there in AU.
However, I am still worried that Australia maybe affected by the global market through globalization, and that I may be not as competitive without a relevant Bachelor.

Then I looked at Construction Project Management, it is a senior post as some TSRer mentioned. Construction Project Manager can be promoted from a Surveyor with or without studying CMP. So I think it'd more wise to gain experience from a junior post, instead of stepping in directly with a Master and no previous experience.

Lastly, I looked at GP Surveying and Building Surveying. The problem is that I don't have good choices in Australia but some third tier universities.

So my questions are:

Is it true that getting into Construction Project Management through promotion and experience is more wise? CPM would be my first choice if so.

Can Construction Project Manager be promoted from Urban Planner? It it applies, Urban Planning would be my second choice.
Reply 1
Hi again mate,

Urban Planning isn't something that naturally leads on to Construction Project Management, it's more of a niche architectural field. They will possibly work within the planning department of councils or for landscape engineers regenerating derelict towns and cities (Think of companies like https://landuse.co.uk/ & https://www.atkinsglobal.com/en-gb)

There will be an opportunity s or progression within these companies but you won't be controlling the overall construction project. Just possibly the landscape side of things. (landscape architect)

If by Construction Project Management you mean the person in charge of everyone (the architect, the landscape engineer, main contractors team (QS, Site Manager, Contract Manager), Structural Engineer, Electrical Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Clients QS etc) then you would be better following a difrente avenue.

For example; a QS or site manager that then leads to Contract Manager that then naturally leads to Construction Manager. An architect could also progress to Construction Project Management.

But, as I said in the PM. Do something you enjoy, everything always works out in the end. You never know, you could start off as an Urban Planner ad finish your career Director of a company such as LUC which regenerate large outside areas, town centers, seaside resorts etc.
Original post by Sky.high
Dear all,

I am hoping to get into the construction industry through graduate entry with a Master degree, though my Bachelor was irrelevant. My ultimate goal is being a Construction Project Manager.

These are my research results:

My initial interest was Urban Planning, but I found that the global employment rate is too low. Australia is an exception in Urban Planning, and this is good for me as I have planned to study and work there in AU.
However, I am still worried that Australia maybe affected by the global market through globalization, and that I may be not as competitive without a relevant Bachelor.

Then I looked at Construction Project Management, it is a senior post as some TSRer mentioned. Construction Project Manager can be promoted from a Surveyor with or without studying CMP. So I think it'd more wise to gain experience from a junior post, instead of stepping in directly with a Master and no previous experience.

Lastly, I looked at GP Surveying and Building Surveying. The problem is that I don't have good choices in Australia but some third tier universities.

So my questions are:

Is it true that getting into Construction Project Management through promotion and experience is more wise? CPM would be my first choice if so.

Can Construction Project Manager be promoted from Urban Planner? It it applies, Urban Planning would be my second choice.
Reply 2
Dear Malley,

Thank you for your advice, you have given very clear explanations far beyond from what I expected to receive. At this stage, after receiving your advice, I think my research maybe still not enough. I think I'd need more research before making a final decision. I will do more research based on the info you gave.

You're right, I think I should put my interest first, cause the outcome will be related to my interest. I think I'm likely to end up going for Urban Planning, just I need to be clearer with the career natures, and be firm about my choice after further research.

Thank you very much! Now I know I won't regret my choice with your help.

Skylar
Original post by Malley13
Hi again mate,

Urban Planning isn't something that naturally leads on to Construction Project Management, it's more of a niche architectural field. They will possibly work within the planning department of councils or for landscape engineers regenerating derelict towns and cities (Think of companies like https://landuse.co.uk/ & https://www.atkinsglobal.com/en-gb)

There will be an opportunity s or progression within these companies but you won't be controlling the overall construction project. Just possibly the landscape side of things. (landscape architect)

If by Construction Project Management you mean the person in charge of everyone (the architect, the landscape engineer, main contractors team (QS, Site Manager, Contract Manager), Structural Engineer, Electrical Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Clients QS etc) then you would be better following a difrente avenue.

For example; a QS or site manager that then leads to Contract Manager that then naturally leads to Construction Manager. An architect could also progress to Construction Project Management.

But, as I said in the PM. Do something you enjoy, everything always works out in the end. You never know, you could start off as an Urban Planner ad finish your career Director of a company such as LUC which regenerate large outside areas, town centers, seaside resorts etc.
Reply 3
No problem mate.

I have a friend who did an Urban Planning masters after 4 years as an architect student.

With a masters in Urban Planning but without a degree in architecture there's a fairly limited scope on avenues you could follow. My first thoughts would be;

Town Planner - I.e someone who works in the planning department in the local council or possibly a consultancy planning department advising clients on what designs would most likely get through planning
Transport Planner - i.e someone who works for large organizations making forward preparations for railway closures etc. They will also look into the viability of new schemes such as Crossrail in London or High-Speed Rail.
Urban Designer - You could possibly work as an Urban Designer but most, if not all, will have an architectural background as that's the nature of the work really.

An Urban Design masters degree is more of an add-on course for an architectural student. By this I mean; An architectural student might do 4 years doing general architecture but then choose to specialize in Urban Planning so goes onto do a masters.

A Quantity Surveyor may do 3 years at university in Quantity Surveying but then may wish to specialize. So he or she may go on to do a masters in Real Estate so they can use their skill in say Property Development.

You follow?
Original post by Sky.high
Dear Malley,

Thank you for your advice, you have given very clear explanations far beyond from what I expected to receive. At this stage, after receiving your advice, I think my research maybe still not enough. I think I'd need more research before making a final decision. I will do more research based on the info you gave.

You're right, I think I should put my interest first, cause the outcome will be related to my interest. I think I'm likely to end up going for Urban Planning, just I need to be clearer with the career natures, and be firm about my choice after further research.

Thank you very much! Now I know I won't regret my choice with your help.

Skylar
Reply 4
Yep, I am worried that doing Urban Planning maybe all-or-nothing if I cannot work as a town planner/ transport planner... as you said I may not be suitable for architectural firms. I'm looking at Construction Project Management right now, and see if there are junior posts... so I can take lower risk of unemployment. This is really helpful and heart warming with your help, thank you!

Skylar

Original post by Malley13
No problem mate.

I have a friend who did an Urban Planning masters after 4 years as an architect student.

With a masters in Urban Planning but without a degree in architecture there's a fairly limited scope on avenues you could follow. My first thoughts would be;

Town Planner - I.e someone who works in the planning department in the local council or possibly a consultancy planning department advising clients on what designs would most likely get through planning
Transport Planner - i.e someone who works for large organizations making forward preparations for railway closures etc. They will also look into the viability of new schemes such as Crossrail in London or High-Speed Rail.
Urban Designer - You could possibly work as an Urban Designer but most, if not all, will have an architectural background as that's the nature of the work really.

An Urban Design masters degree is more of an add-on course for an architectural student. By this I mean; An architectural student might do 4 years doing general architecture but then choose to specialize in Urban Planning so goes onto do a masters.

A Quantity Surveyor may do 3 years at university in Quantity Surveying but then may wish to specialize. So he or she may go on to do a masters in Real Estate so they can use their skill in say Property Development.

You follow?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending