The Student Room Group

Is Nottingham overly ‘rah’?

Hi all,

I’m interested in studying law at Nottingham now I’ve been rejected from Durham :frown:

However, when I looked around it surprised me how similar it was to Exeter and Durham in the sense that there seemed to be a high proportion of ‘rah’ or posh students.

There seemed to be a lot around the campus, more so than some of the other ones I looked around and wondered if I’m right about this or it’s a misconception?

I’m not saying it’s a bad thing at all but I’m just curious!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
(Original post by MaiaHughes2000)
Hi all,

I’m interested in studying law at Nottingham now I’ve been rejected from Durham :frown:

However, when I looked around it surprised me how similar it was to Exeter and Durham in the sense that there seemed to be a high proportion of ‘rah’ or posh students.

There seemed to be a lot around the campus, more so than some of the other ones I looked around and wondered if I’m right about this or it’s a misconception?

There are a lot of posh students in at the university, not the snobbish kind. A lot of them are nice, party lovers. The reason why they come across posh is because the majority went to private school or grammar. My sister goes there and there are a mix but her friends predominately are from where we live. that just because a large people who go there come from the South East/ South of England. Notts are really good at accommodation so they'll put you with people from where you're from as well as other places so you won't feel homesick.
heard it's a party uni
Original post by MaiaHughes2000
Hi all,

Original post by Ibby_
(Original post by MaiaHughes2000)

There are a lot of posh students in at the university, not the snobbish kind. A lot of them are nice, party lovers. The reason why they come across posh is because the majority went to private school or grammar. My sister goes there and there are a mix but her friends predominately are from where we live. that just because a large people who go there come from the South East/ South of England. Notts are really good at accommodation so they'll put you with people from where you're from as well as other places so you won't feel homesick.

Thank you :smile: So does your sister feel there are a lot of rahs there and does she enjoy it?

How do they know how to put you with for accommodation though so you’re with people you’d fit with?
Reply 4
Thank you :smile: So does your sister feel there are a lot of rahs there and does she enjoy it?

How do they know how to put you with for accommodation though so you’re with people you’d fit with?

My sister loves it, technically I live in a 'posh' area where a lot of others from where I live go to Notts. However, I go to grammar school and it is the grammar school boys and girls who mainly go there. Nottingham say that they have a way in choosing the right accommodation for each person. My best bet is through social media (when she got an offer she joined multiple facebook groups, for subject and her hall so that she could make friends before she got there) and where you live, so for my sister, she happens to live with other girls and boys who went to local grammar schools to ours, some of them even live within 10 miles of where we live. She gets on with most the people in her hall and has friends in others.
Reply 5
Durham is full of actual posh kids, it shows in everything they do, they’re all fit for oxford but couldn’t curb it.

Exeter isn’t posh at all, when they say its full of oxford rejects they mean they didn’t even make it to interview, it has this fake reputation of being posh so when everyone goes there they play along with it, unless posh is another word for no personality, conservative and middle class wealthy but good at heavily exaggerating it. (These people go to university and will be poorer than their parents in the future when university is supposed to do the opposite.)

Nottingham seems great, I have friends who go there and it doesn’t seem to have a class issue. Everyone looks like they wanna have fun, the night life is huge because it has 2 unis, it has respectable courses and an excellent reputation, you will need to invest in designer vintage sportswear though.

I mean, this is why you need to take open days with a pinch of salt right. You're making this judgement based on the superficial judgement of just a handful of people who (if it was at an open day) aren't even at the uni yet!

This really shouldn't bother you as a) 'posh' students can be nice too b) if it bothers you just be friends with other people and c) all of the top unis have a decent proportion of privately educated - this is not something you get away from unless you go waaay down the league tables.

If for some reason it does really bother you though the best way is probably to look at the privately educated proportion and compare that with your other choices. A random open day is... definitely not.
Reply 7
Original post by nexttime
I mean, this is why you need to take open days with a pinch of salt right. You're making this judgement based on the superficial judgement of just a handful of people who (if it was at an open day) aren't even at the uni yet!

This really shouldn't bother you as a) 'posh' students can be nice too b) if it bothers you just be friends with other people and c) all of the top unis have a decent proportion of privately educated - this is not something you get away from unless you go waaay down the league tables.

If for some reason it does really bother you though the best way is probably to look at the privately educated proportion and compare that with your other choices. A random open day is... definitely not.

Hi all,

There are other high ranking unis such as UEA or Surrey which domino have a large portion of 'posh people', just hard working people. If you want a Russel group with non posh/ a bigger mix of people go to Liverpool, Bristol, Manchester, Glasgow, Birmingham, Newcastle, Warwick and/or Sheffield.
Original post by 3121
Durham is full of actual posh kids, it shows in everything they do, they’re all fit for oxford but couldn’t curb it.

Exeter isn’t posh at all, when they say its full of oxford rejects they mean they didn’t even make it to interview, it has this fake reputation of being posh so when everyone goes there they play along with it, unless posh is another word for no personality, conservative and middle class wealthy but good at heavily exaggerating it. (These people go to university and will be poorer than their parents in the future when university is supposed to do the opposite.)

Nottingham seems great, I have friends who go there and it doesn’t seem to have a class issue. Everyone looks like they wanna have fun, the night life is huge because it has 2 unis, it has respectable courses and an excellent reputation, you will need to invest in designer vintage sportswear though.

I got a very posh vibe from Exeter when I went there, almost everyone looked the same haha but it may have a little exaggerated you're right.

And that's encouraging about Nottingham - would you recommend it then?
Original post by Ibby_
There are other high ranking unis such as UEA or Surrey which domino have a large portion of 'posh people', just hard working people. If you want a Russel group with non posh/ a bigger mix of people go to Liverpool, Bristol, Manchester, Glasgow, Birmingham, Newcastle, Warwick and/or Sheffield.

Is Nottingham not particularly diverse then?
Reply 10
it can be, just has a lot of grammar school kids. some from state schools and fewer from private schools.
Is Nottingham not particularly diverse then?
I got a very posh vibe from Exeter when I went there, almost everyone looked the same haha but it may have a little exaggerated you're right.

And that's encouraging about Nottingham - would you recommend it then?

@3121 is a disgruntled Exeter fresher; see about 10 threads he's started moaning about how shite his time at Exeter is. Not the most reliable witness.

Notts is 80% middle class. Exeter is 85% and Durham is 86%. Notts has 20% from independent schools. Exeter has 31% and Durham 37%. Notts has 28% from ethnic minority backgrounds. Exeter has 11% and Durham 13%. Overall, Notts would seem less rah-y. https://st.hitcreative.com/education/university_guide/active/UniversityGuide/index/year/2017/goto/tableSearchAnchor
Reply 12
why do u call posh people 'rah'?
Original post by Ibby_
why do u call posh people 'rah'?

With these posh folk, you cannot for your life get them to stop singing Boney M's Rasputin. I don't know what it is, maybe they all are forced to listen to it as children. Naturally, the association was formed.
When did she get invited to the groups? Nearer results day?
Reply 15

Except you are implying it.

Law can be a pretty 'rah' career anyway...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
mad, ik the Rasputin song but still makes no sense
Original post by Notoriety
With these posh folk, you cannot for your life get them to stop singing Boney M's Rasputin. I don't know what it is, maybe they all are forced to listen to it as children. Naturally, the association was formed.
Reply 17
Original post by stormin23
When did she get invited to the groups? Nearer results day?

not too sure actually, it seemed like all of summer but i'm not sure, it was deffo before results and it wasn't an unconditional offer.
Reply 18
Hi all,

Hi I studied law (then pharmacy) at Nottingham having come from a grammar school in N. Ireland. The friends I made there were from a variety of schools : state, grammar, private (including a few from boarding schools). But most of them were from hardworking middle class backgrounds like my own, not at all "rah-y". I guess we were all attracted to the fab campus, in a down to earth midland city with lots going on. It depends what your own background is, but university is such a melting pot I'm sure you'll find like-minded people.
Reply 19
she added herself to group chats she found on facebook and got her accommodation in august I think
Original post by Ibby_
not too sure actually, it seemed like all of summer but i'm not sure, it was deffo before results and it wasn't an unconditional offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending