The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

What's the best accommodation at Sheffield uni?

I stayed in Curbar in Endcliffe at the weekend as part of their applicant day, but didn't find it very nice (e.g. the showers were mouldy and barely worked, the fridges smelt). I was wondering if there are any nicer ones in Endcliffe? I want an ensuite and ideally as quiet as possible.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Apparently encliffe is the most social accommodation in Sheffield, which means you would probably find many people out parting and making loud noises when you're trying to sleep. So I think encliffe won't be a suitable place if you are looking for somewhere quite?

Apparently Randmoor is the other social accommodation but less noisy. I'm thinking to apply to that one..

How did you think of the uni by the way?:smile: I'm thinking of making it my firm but didn't get to go to the offer holder day yesterday. What course did you apply for?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Thank you! I really like it, I'm going to put it as my firm. I wasn't sure whether to or not but after the offer holder day I definitely am! I applied for speech and language therapy, what did you apply for?
Original post by Quyen_3
Apparently encliffe is the most social accommodation in Sheffield, which means you would probably find many people out parting and making loud noises when you're trying to sleep. So I think encliffe won't be a suitable place if you are looking for somewhere quite?

Apparently Randmoor is the other social accommodation but less noisy. I'm thinking to apply to that one..

How did you think of the uni by the way?:smile: I'm thinking of making it my firm but didn't get to go to the offer holder day yesterday. What course did you apply for?
Reply 3
Original post by Sophie.cerys
Thank you! I really like it, I'm going to put it as my firm. I wasn't sure whether to or not but after the offer holder day I definitely am! I applied for speech and language therapy, what did you apply for?

Oh nice! What do you think are the pros and cons of the uni/ place? I applied to do architecture:smile:
Hello, this may seem very random, but i have been thinking of doing architecture in uni and i would like to go to Sheffield. i am currently in year 11 and i just wanted to ask about what gcse grades is acceptable for Sheffield to do a architecture course.
Reply 5
Original post by aesthetic21
Hello, this may seem very random, but i have been thinking of doing architecture in uni and i would like to go to Sheffield. i am currently in year 11 and i just wanted to ask about what gcse grades is acceptable for Sheffield to do a architecture course.

Mostly all unis don't ask for specific grades with gcse, only maths, English and sometimes a science (but rarely). If you go on their website they will list their requirements.
ah ok, thank you for the reply!
I stayed in Curbar in Endcliffe at the weekend as part of their applicant day, but didn't find it very nice (e.g. the showers were mouldy and barely worked, the fridges smelt). I was wondering if there are any nicer ones in Endcliffe? I want an ensuite and ideally as quiet as possible.

Hi, do you know what block you were in? I’ve applied for Curbar block E but I might have to reconsider if it’s all mouldy
Reply 8
Derwent & Howden are the best for if you want to find flatmates that like going clubbing, the blocks are quite loud and social accomodations suited for people looking to have a fun freshers, I am currently a first year and am having a great time; flats are sizes of 10, however if you plan on not going and don't have much of a social side I wouldnt recommend
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by advisevi
Derwent & Howden are the best for if you want to find flatmates that like going clubbing, the blocks are quite loud and social accomodations suited for people looking to have a fun freshers, I am currently a first year and am having a great time; flats are sizes of 10, however if you plan on not going and don't have much of a social side I wouldnt recommend

Hey i was wondering if you knew anything about endcliffe vale flats and the people who tend to be there?
Original post by Quyen_3
Hey i was wondering if you knew anything about endcliffe vale flats and the people who tend to be there?

Yeah its pretty random who ends up there your best option is to use the chose my flatmate option to see your flatmates bios before chosing to see if you'll get a long with them as youre flatmates make up a large portion of your freshers experience, its usually quite social there too most places on endcliffe tend to be!
Yeah its pretty random who ends up there your best option is to use the chose my flatmate option to see your flatmates bios before chosing to see if you'll get a long with them as youre flatmates make up a large portion of your freshers experience, its usually quite social there too most places on endcliffe tend to be!

Yeah good idea, although I'm worried most places will go.. also once you apply you can't see when other people apply to the same flat as you, which is quite annoying.
Original post by Quyen_3
Yeah good idea, although I'm worried most places will go.. also once you apply you can't see when other people apply to the same flat as you, which is quite annoying.

you can actually if you use the mainpage link link you can view all the available accomodations despite already having firmed yours and you can still see your flat! heres the link: https://sheffield.starrezhousing.com/StarRezPortalX/E1B50DDB/10/55/Application-Room_List?LowerRoomRateValue=0&UpperRoomRateValue=0&TermID=58&ClassificationID=11&RoomLocationAreaID=7&CurrentPageNumber=1&DateStart=21%20September%202019&DateEnd=11%20July%202020
let me know if that works for you! you may need to enter the link twice because once it will make you sign in then just paste it in again!
you can actually if you use the mainpage link link you can view all the available accomodations despite already having firmed yours and you can still see your flat! heres the link: https://sheffield.starrezhousing.com/StarRezPortalX/E1B50DDB/10/55/Application-Room_List?LowerRoomRateValue=0&UpperRoomRateValue=0&TermID=58&ClassificationID=11&RoomLocationAreaID=7&CurrentPageNumber=1&DateStart=21%20September%202019&DateEnd=11%20July%202020
let me know if that works for you! you may need to enter the link twice because once it will make you sign in then just paste it in again!

Oh yes! Thank you very much, that's so helpful!

How about city accommodation? Is it popular amongst undergrads? Just thought it would be much more convenient living 10 mins away from the uni, rather than 30 mins?
Original post by Quyen_3
Oh yes! Thank you very much, that's so helpful!

How about city accommodation? Is it popular amongst undergrads? Just thought it would be much more convenient living 10 mins away from the uni, rather than 30 mins?

No worries, yeah City's really nice less of a student atmosphere though typically associated with being less social and more quite and houses more international students however once again using the room selection tool you can see in advance the type of people you'll be choosing to live with
Original post by Quyen_3
Oh nice! What do you think are the pros and cons of the uni/ place? I applied to do architecture:smile:

Not many cons really (for my subject at least), apart from the distance of the accommodation to the uni. They seem really keen on the whole work-life balance thing which I really like, seem to offer good support, there's loads of volunteering opportunities, it looks like (from what I saw in the SU) they really help out with accommodation for 2nd/3rd/4th year if you move out of the uni accommodation. Their SU it's amazing!! And good vegetarian and vegan options at the food places in the SU, and a really nice coffee shop in there too! The accommodation is honestly incredible, it way exceeded my expectations. I haven't seen ranmoor but Endcliffe is soooo nice it's like a proper village but full of students! And the bar there is really really nice as well. Oh and they have a gym in the Ridge (ranmoor) that's free to use for people living in the uni accommodation!
Original post by ChemicalWaylien
Hi, do you know what block you were in? I’ve applied for Curbar block E but I might have to reconsider if it’s all mouldy

I can't remember exactly but I know it was either C, D, E or F. The room itself was really nice but the shower in both my room and my mum's room were awful. I don't know if it was just that flat though as I don't think they use it much for students as it's the top floor (and there's no lift I don't think).
I can't remember exactly but I know it was either C, D, E or F. The room itself was really nice but the shower in both my room and my mum's room were awful. I don't know if it was just that flat though as I don't think they use it much for students as it's the top floor (and there's no lift I don't think).

Okay, thank you! My flat is on the first floor, and if there’s issue I’ll just badger the accommodation people until they fix them
Is it better to apply for uni accomodation for a 1st year postgraduate (I'm from India) or would private student housing be just as good? What would be the pros and cons of each?
Live in aspect 3!! Lots of internationals and home students and the prices are so cheap for what they give. 3/4 bed, two storage units on the walls and a cupboard under the desk and lots of plugs, big window, shower has a glass barrier so that water doesn't get everywhere like in endcliffe. Reception are great and fix any problems with your rooms immediately.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending