The Student Room Group

Deciding what to take to University

Hi there, I'm a current second year university student and am trying to help those going. I have created a blog post giving ideas and starting points on what to take to university. Feel free to have a look, just copy and paste the link below into your browser. Would love feedback on thoughts :smile:
Thanks

https://tipsplustr.blogspot.com/2019/02/what-do-you-bring-to-university.html
Original post by Frandavies99
Hi there, I'm a current second year university student and am trying to help those going. I have created a blog post giving ideas and starting points on what to take to university. Feel free to have a look, just copy and paste the link below into your browser. Would love feedback on thoughts :smile:
Thanks

This is a really great article. :biggrin: I have a couple of suggestions:

Don't feel like a utensil pot is necessary, most of my utensils in my first year went in a drawer, and there's just tin opener, wooden spoon and tongs listed, so you don't need a pot for 3 things.

Maybe given an indication sometimes of how many things to bring, particularly things like Towels, baking trays.

Things like "bedding" is a little vague I feel, for someone who doesn't know where to start and is off to uni without any life skills.

You might want to add something about checking if there's space under the bed for storage before you move. :smile:
Reply 2
what kitchen appliances did you take first year?
I plan on taking pots, plates, cutlery, cooking utensils, a blender and my coffee machine (as well as a mixing bowl); where I'm going we get two fridges and two freezers and a cupboard each with a lock. It fits 5-9 people
Original post by Ibby_
I plan on taking pots, plates, cutlery, cooking utensils, a blender and my coffee machine (as well as a mixing bowl); where I'm going we get two fridges and two freezers and a cupboard each with a lock. It fits 5-9 people
How big is the coffee machine? Feels to me like a waste of space if you'll have a kettle.
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17

Don't feel like a utensil pot is necessary, most of my utensils in my first year went in a drawer, and there's just tin opener, wooden spoon and tongs listed, so you don't need a pot for 3 things.

Maybe given an indication sometimes of how many things to bring, particularly things like Towels, baking trays.

Things like "bedding" is a little vague I feel, for someone who doesn't know where to start and is off to uni without any life skills.

You might want to add something about checking if there's space under the bed for storage before you move. :smile:

If someone doesn’t know what constitutes bedding then they have failed in life so far, that is such basic info.
Reply 5
Original post by 04MR17
How big is the coffee machine? Feels to me like a waste of space if you'll have a kettle.

its small, like 26cm by 11cm (random estimate)
Original post by Ibby_
its small, like 26cm by 11cm (random estimate)
Ah okay, that will probably be alright then, though you'll likely need it to be PAT tested at uni before you use it. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by 04MR17
Ah okay, that will probably be alright then, though you'll likely need it to be PAT tested at uni before you use it. :smile:

what's that?
Original post by Ibby_
what's that?
a PAT test is a test done on electrical equipment to certify that it is safe to be plugged into to a mains power supply. Unless your product was bought within the last x months (this is often six months, but I've seen 3 months too) then most universities require it to be PAT tested so that you don't blow up an accommodation block due to a faulty electrical appliance.
Reply 9
ahh I see, I would have had mine for some time, but I think its insured so I should be fine, or ill leave out for my parents (maybe ill buy a new one)...who knows
Original post by 04MR17
a PAT test is a test done on electrical equipment to certify that it is safe to be plugged into to a mains power supply. Unless your product was bought within the last x months (this is often six months, but I've seen 3 months too) then most universities require it to be PAT tested so that you don't blow up an accommodation block due to a faulty electrical appliance.
Original post by Ibby_
ahh I see, I would have had mine for some time, but I think its insured so I should be fine, or ill leave out for my parents (maybe ill buy a new one)...who knows
Even if it's insured the uni will want a PAT test on it. Otherwise if something does happen in connection with it you're liable. If you buy a new one it shouldn't be a problem assuming you're going to uni in September but it's more a case of whether you'd want to go to that expense.
Reply 11
yes, it wont cost too much for it bc ill get a sizeable discount on my next one
Original post by 04MR17
Even if it's insured the uni will want a PAT test on it. Otherwise if something does happen in connection with it you're liable. If you buy a new one it shouldn't be a problem assuming you're going to uni in September but it's more a case of whether you'd want to go to that expense.
Original post by 04MR17

Thank you so much for the feedback! I will definitely have a look about being more specific. The utensil pot was a mere suggestion not a necessity. I found it handy due to not actually having a little drawer to put them in so I placed all my cutlery in there also so just pulled out when I needed.
I took pretty much the basics. I was lucky enough to turn up and already have a microwave, toaster and kettle already supplied. I did however buy a george forman grill a few weeks in.

2 fridges and freezers may seem a lot but it will work out at about 3 or 4 people sharing one so will be likely you get one shelf in the fridge and one drawer in the freezer so bare this in mind :smile:

Original post by Ibby_
Thanks

I have just added a update onto the blog following mentioned suggestions below. Any more feedback would be much appreciated. The link is still the same as the one above

Reply 15
Thats enough for me, I'll have a cupboard for dry foods and won't be in the flat so much bc I am doing a healthcare course and will have lots of placements and 2.5 days worth of lectures followed by 2.5 days of prep, since I'll hopefully be playing varsity sports I should be fine with the space. But even the flats with 5 people get two fridges and freezer so it is still a lot of space. Living cost of where I am going is quite cheap so I will be able to afford breakfast most mornings and just be making lunch and cooking dinner on week days. Also lectures are planned to start at 9, and I'm living off campus so ill be up too early to cook and eat in the mornings.

If the accommodation is brand new then will it come with appliances?
I took pretty much the basics. I was lucky enough to turn up and already have a microwave, toaster and kettle already supplied. I did however buy a george forman grill a few weeks in.

2 fridges and freezers may seem a lot but it will work out at about 3 or 4 people sharing one so will be likely you get one shelf in the fridge and one drawer in the freezer so bare this in mind :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Honestly it all depends on what the landlords or companies want to put in. Generally it is a microwave you get given and a iron / ironing board. Best bet is to find access to a inventory list given by the accommodation which lists everything they supply. If you can't find it anywhere online just email the accommodation and they should be able to tell you
Original post by Ibby_
Thats enough for me, I'll have a cupboard for dry foods and won't be in the flat so much bc I am doing a healthcare course and will have lots of placements and 2.5 days worth of lectures followed by 2.5 days of prep, since I'll hopefully be playing varsity sports I should be fine with the space. But even the flats with 5 people get two fridges and freezer so it is still a lot of space.

If the accommodation is brand new then will it come with appliances?
Reply 17
Oh, I am still living on university grounds but just in the undergrad student village off campus.
Honestly it all depends on what the landlords or companies want to put in. Generally it is a microwave you get given and a iron / ironing board. Best bet is to find access to a inventory list given by the accommodation which lists everything they supply. If you can't find it anywhere online just email the accommodation and they should be able to tell you

Quick Reply

Latest