The Student Room Group

Fuel - First car?

I uploaded an attachment below from a vauxhall car -
This is how the fuel system looks in my car, I'm just confused when its in reserve mode and how long I can let the fuel go down before refilling?

Will it be fine to let it run all the way down just before the 0? As in will it be okay to let the fuel run down to the three pointers before reaching 0 and refilling then or does it have to be before the 3 pointers?
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
I uploaded an attachment below from a vauxhall car -
This is how the fuel system looks in my car, I'm just confused when its in reserve mode and how long I can let the fuel go down before refilling?

Will it be fine to let it run all the way down just before the 0? As in will it be okay to let the fuel run down to the three pointers before reaching 0 and refilling then or does it have to be before the 3 pointers?

Depends what engine it is... If it's the 1.2/1.4 then you can get at least another 20 miles on it before it starts getting dangerous.

If it's the thirsty VXR engine, then don't take any risks lol.

When it starts to get dangerous the fuel light will flash instead of just being statically on. Wouldn't recommend that you continue to drive when the fuel light is on, regardless.
Reply 2
Yes, you'll be fine doing so once every so often but it's not advisable. Only use as a backup if you need and follow the manufacturers instructions.
Reply 3
Original post by RoyalSheepy

Have you owned a VXR? Not sure if you've mentioned it before or not :confused:
Original post by xDron3
Yes, you'll be fine doing so once every so often but it's not advisable. Only use as a backup if you need and follow the manufacturers instructions.

Depends what engine it is... If it's the 1.2/1.4 then you can get at least another 20 miles on it before it starts getting dangerous.

When it starts to get dangerous the fuel light will flash instead of just being statically on. Wouldn't recommend that you continue to drive when the fuel light is on, regardless.

Well it's the 1.8 actually, shame there were no instructions or manual with the car hence why I thought general knowledge on here lol

Its a Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Design

Another thing I wanted to ask with the 07 plates (auto), you dont need to hit the breaks to start engine right or changed from Park to Drive? I know in my old car I had to, but in this one it seems like it starts without holding down the break or even changing from P to D. Not sure if I should hold down break anyway lol
From my understanding usually fuel light comes on when you start using your reserve. For me that happens at 50 miles to empty, using current 100-mile average mpg. So there is no more fuel after that- you'll be "running on fumes" so to speak.

risky for at least 2 reasons:
the average mpg over last 100 miles may not be accurate for the next 50 miles so: you could run out before you expect
some dirt/crap sucked in when you empty the tank to that extent(or so I'm told I've never refueled below about 20-30 miles to empty).
I thought the best bet would be to actually wait till it flashes I mean if you know you're gonna run out soon but you can top up anyway, not wait till it flashes but just before then

That makes sense, so don't go to the reserves (the three pointers next to the 0, always stay above that near 1)
It was baffling at first since I had an older car lol

Original post by swelshie
From my understanding usually fuel light comes on when you start using your reserve. For me that happens at 50 miles to empty, using current 100-mile average mpg. So there is no more fuel after that- you'll be "running on fumes" so to speak.

risky for at least 2 reasons:
the average mpg over last 100 miles may not be accurate for the next 50 miles so: you could run out before you expect
some dirt/crap sucked in when you empty the tank to that extent(or so I'm told I've never refueled below about 20-30 miles to empty).
Original post by xDron3
Have you owned a VXR? Not sure if you've mentioned it before or not :confused:

Yep ahah, speaking from experience.

Well it's the 1.8 actually, shame there were no instructions or manual with the car hence why I thought general knowledge on here lol

Your manual: https://www.vauxhall.co.uk/content/dam/vauxhall/Home/PDFs/owners/owners-manuals/astravan/astravan-owners-manual-july-2007.pdf
Reply 10
Just fill up when it starts to get low - don't repeatedly let the fuel light come on.
Original post by IWMTom
Just fill up when it starts to get low - don't repeatedly let the fuel light come on.

Gotcha! Will do.
And last question would you be aware of astra, design, 07 having to use break to start engine? I've been starting the engine without doing it in the automatic but there seems to be no problem, wondering if I actually have to hold down break or not, even when switching from P to D
Reply 13
Gotcha! Will do.
And last question would you be aware of astra, design, 07 having to use break to start engine? I've been starting the engine without doing it in the automatic but there seems to be no problem, wondering if I actually have to hold down break or not, even when switching from P to D

No idea, sorry!
Any ideas on this last question?
would you be aware of astra, design, 07 having to use break to start engine? I've been starting the engine without doing it in the automatic but there seems to be no problem, wondering if I actually have to hold down break or not, even when switching from P to D
Any ideas on this last question?
would you be aware of astra, design, 07 having to use break to start engine? I've been starting the engine without doing it in the automatic but there seems to be no problem, wondering if I actually have to hold down break or not, even when switching from P to D

Haven't got a clue either sorry, I'd hold the brake by habit tbh.

The only other thing I can do is to redirect you to a Astra H owners forum such as this one: https://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?10-Astra-H

Or if you have Facebook, try asking on a Astra H Owners Group.
Might start without foot on brake, but won't let you select drive until you do. (Don't quote me on that as only ever driven hyundai, jag xf, gtr and aston martin db9 autos). Would be a bit dangerous otherwise.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yeah that makes sense to go from P to D with brakes just because it'd be dangerous, not sure about starting though

Original post by swelshie
Might start without foot on brake, but won't let you select drive until you do. (Don't quote me on that as only ever driven hyundai, jag xf, gtr and aston martin db9 autos). Would be a bit dangerous otherwise.
Yeah I mainly just hold it by habit lol but just wanted to clarify as I don't want to do any damage if I don't need to hold the brake or if I need to and thanks for the link

Haven't got a clue either sorry, I'd hold the brake by habit tbh.

The only other thing I can do is to redirect you to a Astra H owners forum such as this one: https://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?10-Astra-H

Or if you have Facebook, try asking on a Astra H Owners Group.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending