The Student Room Group

Would choosing Exeter be a mistake?

Hiya,

I’m currently holding law offers from Durham, Nottingham, York, UCL and Exeter and having weighed everything up my favourite is Exeter.

I know it is arguably the least reputable of the 5 but I loved the city so much and the campus was gorgeous but am I throwing away a good opportunity to go somewhere else if I choose it?

I know they’re all good but Durham, UCL and Notts are a tier above Exeter I believe and I don’t want to throw away the chance of a better career by turning them down.

So if I firm Exeter over the others, would I be making a mistake or is there not much difference?

Thank you xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Nikkix2000
Hiya,

I’m currently holding law offers from Durham, Nottingham, York, UCL and Exeter and having weighed everything up my favourite is Exeter.

I know it is arguably the least reputable of the 5 but I loved the city so much and the campus was gorgeous but am I throwing away a good opportunity to go somewhere else if I choose it?

I know they’re all good but Durham, UCL and Notts are a tier above Exeter I believe and I don’t want to throw away the chance of a better career by turning them down.

So if I firm Exeter over the others, would I be making a mistake or is there not much difference?

Thank you xx

All five are Russell Groups so it really doesn't much difference, and I wouldn't say that Nottingham is a tier above Exeter. (I've firmed York for Law so I'd recommend you choose that, but I'm biased lol.) Just go to the uni you like the most.
Reply 2
Im in sort-of similar position to you, these are my thoughts.

Personally, I would choose between Durham and UCL. Due to being very reputable and a nice contrast. One on hand, you have a collegiate university that’s not in the city. On the other hand you have a London based uni, which for me, would be more expensive and the social life wouldn’t be the same as Durham etc.

This all being said, not everything is about a uni’s reputation - whilst Exeter may not be as reputable in respect to your other choices, it is still a great university to graduate from.

If you feel that Exeter is the one, and you if feel that you’d have a better 3 years, don’t ignore those thoughts just because of a reputation!

Also, I’d take into account the respective entry requirements for when it comes to firm/insurance.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by vivv322
All five are Russell Groups so it really doesn't much difference, and I wouldn't say that Nottingham is a tier above Exeter. (I've firmed York for Law so I'd recommend you choose that, but I'm biased lol.) Just go to the uni you like the most.

I wasn’t sure about York when I went for my interview I loved the course but I found the law building a bit isolated and dreary but maybe that’s just me!

I just presumed as Notts is highly regarded by employers and still an LNAT uni but may be wrong; I doubt it’s a huge difference maker.
Reply 4
Choose what you’re gut tells you (unless you’re a minority then maybe reconsider 🤭)
Reply 5
Original post by southerner
Can i ask what career path you are planning on going down in the future? I would pick Exeter if you're set with it. Regardless of what people on TSR will try to push on you, the university you attend doesn't play a huge role in grad apps. Of course they matter for highly competitive careers in law or IB but for pretty much everything else it doesn't. What's more important is developing your extra-curricular activities and work experience during your time at university.

I’m honestly not sure at the moment I’m dreaming of MC firms or city firms but don’t know how realistic that is 😂

I just really liked Exeter and the overall feel of it, more so than any of my other options. Would choosing it be a mistake then?
Reply 6
Original post by Lachiesear1
Im in sort-of similar position to you, these are my thoughts.

Personally, I would choose between Durham and UCL. Due to being very reputable and a nice contrast. One on hand, you have a collegiate university that’s not in the city. On the other hand you have a London based uni, which for me, would be more expensive and the social life wouldn’t be the same as Durham etc.

This all being said, not everything is about a uni’s reputation - whilst Exeter may not be as reputable in respect to your other choices, it is still a great university to graduate from.

If you feel that Exeter is the one, and you if feel that you’d have a better 3 years, don’t ignore those thoughts just because of a reputation!

Also, I’d take into account the respective entry requirements for when it comes to firm/insurance.

My Exeter offer is AAA and AAB if firmed my lowest of the 5.

I know UCL and Durham are objectively better universities, I just preferred Exeter and think it would be where I see myself but don’t want to place myself at a disadvantage or throw away an opportunity.

Is there much difference with reputation?
Reply 7
Original post by Lala~
Choose what you’re gut tells you (unless you’re a minority then maybe reconsider 🤭)

My gut does say Exeter and it’s my favourite but I don’t want to think I’m making a mistake my parents think I’m making a wrong decision.
Reply 8
durham is gorgeous! have you visited? maybe compare the accommodation of each university to pick your firm and insurance :smile:
Go with your gut. Durham & Notts really aren’t a tier above Exeter they’re about equal
Reply 10
My gut does say Exeter and it’s my favourite but I don’t want to think I’m making a mistake my parents think I’m making a wrong decision.

Where do they want you to go instead? You’re parents aren’t always right so choose what you think will suit you the most. Why not the other unis tho?
(edited 5 years ago)
Didn’t really consider that in regards to LNAT unis.

I just loved the general feel of Exeter and it’s campus but like you said UCL is objectively better and I’d likely
be making a mistake.

Do you think going to Exeter would be a bad choice considering the offers I have?
Original post by troian
durham is gorgeous! have you visited? maybe compare the accommodation of each university to pick your firm and insurance :smile:

I’ve visited all of them and I loved Exeter the most, although the others were all nice.

Durham was gorgeous though I do agree :smile:

I don’t know if accommodation is a major factor if I’m honest - all of them had good choices!
Original post by pi=e
Go with your gut. Durham & Notts really aren’t a tier above Exeter they’re about equal

So you think I wouldn’t be making a mistake to choose Exeter? It doesn’t seem to rank as highly and has a higher acceptance rate.
So you think I wouldn’t be making a mistake to choose Exeter? It doesn’t seem to rank as highly and has a higher acceptance rate.

No not at all. Tsr really overestimates how important your uni name is in regards to career prospects when in reality it only forms a small part of the process. What really matters is where you will thrive and enjoy the most, that will lead you to the most success.

If you can’t see yourself being happy at the other unis it would be an awful idea just cause they’re ranked a bit higher on a table with no meaning.
Original post by Lala~
Where do they want you to go instead? You’re parents aren’t always right so choose what you think will suit you the most. Why not the other unis tho?

I know and I’ll make my own decision :smile:

I did like all the others and reckon I’d be happy, Exeter was just my favourite and I can’t put a finger on exactly why.

I think it was just the campus, the people seemed lovely, the views, was just the right size and the overall feel of the place.
Original post by pi=e
No not at all. Tsr really overestimates how important your uni name is in regards to career prospects when in reality it only forms a small part of the process. What really matters is where you will thrive and enjoy the most, that will lead you to the most success.

If you can’t see yourself being happy at the other unis it would be an awful idea just cause they’re ranked a bit higher on a table with no meaning.

I do think I would be happy at the other unis and did like them, Exeter was just my favourite and the one I feel I would best fit in.

Everything clicked when I was there when I went there but I’m worried I’m not stretching myself enough as it’s the one with the lowest requirements.
Reply 17
I know and I’ll make my own decision :smile:

I did like all the others and reckon I’d be happy, Exeter was just my favourite and I can’t put a finger on exactly why.

I think it was just the campus, the people seemed lovely, the views, was just the right size and the overall feel of the place.

Go for Exeter then! You’ll end up miserable if you choose the other ones, trust.
I’m honestly not sure at the moment I’m dreaming of MC firms or city firms but don’t know how realistic that is 😂

I just really liked Exeter and the overall feel of it, more so than any of my other options. Would choosing it be a mistake then?

I wouldn't say it's a mistake. Exeter is a very good uni, and even if you attend a more subjectively 'prestigious' uni like UCL there is no guarantee you'll secure MC/city jobs. All applicants will still need to complete psychometric tests as part of the job app and companies use them to filter out the strongest applicants. In reality, the initial stages of the grad app process doesn't take into account your university and only the strongest applicants get through to the next stage. You could attend Southampton Solent, score very high in the online tests and be invited to interview. It's more down to you as an individual than your university name.
I’m just worried that with the high admissions rate and lower requirements, it’ll be a lot of posh, less academically stimulating people who are just in law for the monetary reasons.

There seemed lots of extra curricular law opportunities that I’d love to get involved in and the whole atmosphere appealed but I suppose you’re right about the larger faculty.

It’s a difficult decision and one I’m not finding easy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending