The Student Room Group

Higher English Essay Help

Hello, my English exam is in a couple of weeks and I need help on how to analyse poetry when writing a critical essay. I can explain the quote clearly but I really struggle to go fully in depth when analysing it. Can I get some help please?
Original post by rachel_16
Hello, my English exam is in a couple of weeks and I need help on how to analyse poetry when writing a critical essay. I can explain the quote clearly but I really struggle to go fully in depth when analysing it. Can I get some help please?

Some points to think about:
-Do you use word level analysis of the quote?
-Include context of the poem in the essay (not sure if this is needed for higher English?)
-Analyse the effectiveness of the quote
-Think about the impact of the poem/quote on the reader
-Use technical language (eg. Say the noun...suggests rather than the word... shows)
Hope that gives you some ideas :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rachel_16

Hey, do you have any poetry essays that you've done? If so, feel free to send them to me and I can have a look at them. I'm happy to offer you advice/critique etc.
Reply 3
Hello, sorry for the late reply. The poems I'm studying are Basking Shark, Aunt Julia, Visiting Hour, Brooklyn Cop, Hotel Room 12th Floor and Assisi.
Original post by Quick-use
Hey, do you have any poetry essays that you've done? If so, feel free to send them to me and I can have a look at them. I'm happy to offer you advice/critique etc.

Quick Reply

Latest